Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How to finish a wood boat?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

How to finish a wood boat?

Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 PM
JPBIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to finish a wood boat?

What is the best way to finish a wood boat? Do you epoxy the the hull then sand down smooth,do you use fiberglass with thin downed epoxy or do you just paint the hull?
If you epoxy what type do you use?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: How to finish a wood boat?

One common method is to use epoxy. I personally don't thin it because this reduces its strength and also makes it porous. If you want the epoxy to be thinner, heat the wood and epoxy a little before you put it on. This will have a double effect of making the epoxy thinner and also cause the epoxy to wick into the wood a bit. Be sure to apply the epoxy thin and get it as smooth as you can before it hardens. One way to be sure you have it smooth and thin is to use something like a playing card to squeegy it off. West Systems epoxy is widely recommended. Once the epoxy has cured sand it lightly and then prime/paint.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
misshydro

If you spay primer,that you use a spray gun on.Get the k2 primer! It's a high build primer that fills pin holes deep scratches and other imperfection that you might find on you boat hull.This is what I use on rc boats and real boats and autos! This stuff you cant beat!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:55 PM
JPBIII

Great, thanks for the info, so I can assume that you just apply the epoxy direct to the wood no fiberglass cloth?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:09 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Assuming you've used a good aircraft plywood, yes you apply the epoxy directly to the wood. Glass cloth isn't necessary and just adds extra weight.