Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

cooling head ???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

cooling head ???

Old 12-30-2006, 01:07 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling head ???

Can you put a water cooling head on any engine? Like a .15 dynomite head on an .15 O.S engine. I'm thinking about up grading my 1/12 miss llumar boat. I think the bigest egine I can go is .18, but I want lots and lots of RPM. I want to go very fast. I only see a few egines with water cooling heads, any help would be great.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: cooling head ???

you can buy cooling heads for lots of engines ,best place to look is where the engine was made if its os try the os marine engines the head should fit if its a .15 then a marine head that size should fit id have thought.what os is it you have? if its a plane motor it wont ever be fast in a boat they are low rpm you need either a marine motor or a buggy motor.both have higher rpm.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:11 AM
gooycheese

There are a couple of people on here putting .21's in there 1/12 lumar/elam/bud boats, misshydro I know has one and one other guy for sure has one(his he mounted the engine on an angle). Look thru the forum you will find it, misshydro has all kindsa pictures and video's. If I'm not mistaken I think she said she was even gonna try putting a .28 in but i could be wrong. Also I'm not sure but heads can cost some buck's I would make sure they are gonna work before buying (I have heard that alot of the heads are close and all that needed to be done was to open the bolt holes so it would match the casing) Good Luck !!!

Paul
Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

An HPI .15 SS engine is a bolt-in and will take the Dynamite water-cooled head. I've seen a video of this conversion and there was a night and day difference in the speed of the boat.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:05 PM
pedaladdictions

theres a game i've played b4,an am still playing on old kyosho boat, guess thats why it's still on the shelf,the one sure fit i know is the k n b 3.5 will fit perfectly on a wasp 26 long as wasp head button is used.................may the force b with you ..
Old 12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
sleepy306

Is there a specific air-cooled engine you want to convert to water cooled? I installed an os cv-rm water-cooled head to the tz-tx 18. It no longer is a turbo head, but it now water cooled.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:41 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: sleepy306

Is there a specific air-cooled engine you want to convert to water cooled? I installed an os cv-rm water-cooled head to the tz-tx 18. It no longer is a turbo head, but it now water cooled.
No I just would like some Ideals to make my boat bad a@#.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:34 PM
gooycheese

Ok if ya want ideas here is a link to a post about upgrading your boat to a .21 and a link to the video .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48..._1/key_/tm.htm

This is the video I will put both links one didnt work this time for me but it is a better quality video if it does work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhLTcWxeik

http://media.putfile.com/112-hydro

hope this gives ya some ideas, Thanks goto lastresort4x4 for the awesome boat !!!

Paul
Old 12-30-2006, 07:27 PM
[email protected]

I looked all threw the post and I don't want that much work. A .21 is to much for me, is the O.S max .18 a good engine? 1.35 HP at 28,000.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:50 PM
unclecrash

I got the os cvr .18 i n my boat runs real good. Its in a boat called the wild thing 2-1/2 pound 24in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40963.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	586894  
Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM
cyclesoul

any chance of a little more info on this sleepy???? Im very interested to know what was required to make it fit. Since the TZ is more powerful than most .21 engines and is $60 off at tower at the moment at $140 i just had to buy one!

It maybe of interest to comerford to as the pullstart version of the CVR m is $170 which is expensive compared to the non pullstart version which is $85! big difference! The CVR marine head is $20 or so so you could buy a TZ, a marine head and it would still cost less than the CVR and have another .5 hp, thats a big difference in a little motor! Also you could sell the TZ cooling head on ebay and recover the cost of the marine head

The only other thing is that it is a rear exhaust, so you would have to check for clearence and find the right shaped header.

Beno
Old 01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: cyclesoul

any chance of a little more info on this sleepy???? Im very interested to know what was required to make it fit. Since the TZ is more powerful than most .21 engines and is $60 off at tower at the moment at $140 i just had to buy one!

It maybe of interest to comerford to as the pullstart version of the CVR m is $170 which is expensive compared to the non pullstart version which is $85! big difference! The CVR marine head is $20 or so so you could buy a TZ, a marine head and it would still cost less than the CVR and have another .5 hp, thats a big difference in a little motor! Also you could sell the TZ cooling head on ebay and recover the cost of the marine head

The only other thing is that it is a rear exhaust, so you would have to check for clearence and find the right shaped header.

Beno
I dont think the gains are as great as you think. You will need to mod the carb linkage if its rotary. also just the pipe header and I think it will work. But I for one dont care for pull starts. Hate blisters between fingers and broke one way bearing along with springs and ropes. I also think you will not gain the .5 HP over the non pull start because all the extra parts of the pull start equal drag on the motor which rob power. How much I dont know. Also how much power will you be robbing taking off the turbo head. For the 85 buck for the .18cvr is a darn good deal with out all the hassles of mods. Also you will save a bit of weight on the non pull start. Thats just my opinion Im sure others will chime in. Dave
Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
toyotatruckin

Dave!!! Stop the quotes, youll never beat the King!!!LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20769.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	589354   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44470.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	589355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21021.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	589356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99878.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	589357  
Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 PM
cyclesoul

The TZ come with either rotary or slide carbs, just depends on which model number you order, no modding required there. You can get the TZ as a non pullstart as well, though i dont know if that one is on special too, though it may well be.

I like pull starts as they are one less thing to worry about charging! With my truck I used to hate carrying around the roto starter and its charger, plus having it die on me, switch crap out lose the shaft etc. I know thats not as much of a problem with a boat starter, i just like to have as little gear as possible, tuck the boat under my arm, grab my radio and go! As for blisters, if your pulling the thing over long enough to get one, somethings wrong! I know, Ive got one on my finger right now cause i had the engine to rich to start. Once the engine is dialed it doesnt take more than 5-10 pulls to get it going, if it does start checking out stuff (thats a mental note to myself!!! )

One ways can last a long time if they are maintained and used properly. In the end it comes down to personal preference i guess

for sure the CVR is the easiest and most cost effective bolt in repower, but sometimes we want more, and an increase in horsepower of nearly 40% is hard to duplicate for the dollar difference. Im not sure what effect in changing from a turbo head to a normal head will have on performance though, if any. Isnt a turbo head just different to take a turbo plug? I dont think there is any radical shape or design that makes it that much more effective, How much difference will having a turbo plug make? cant be that much!

Ben
Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
toyotatruckin

LOL good ol RCU...funny thing here.....I never uploaded any files yet there are 4 up there you cant see them but I can Who has a small electric green and white and yellow plane with lights on the wings....I cant even delete them! its about the size of your hand
Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
unclecrash

Hi Mike LMAO hey what pics were you trying to post they didnt show up. All thats there is click to see full size image. HMMM wonder who that could be. SMH Ahhh I think I know. LOL Hey what kind of crap are you trying to pull heading for the other side[X(]
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
toyotatruckin

other side?????
Old 01-02-2007, 10:26 PM
unclecrash

Gas!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
toyotatruckin

Roto starts have issues, pull starts are ok to a point, belt starts are the best once your set-up with one youll love it...And a turbo head makes a difference,,,In your wallet when you go to buy plugs for it
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
unclecrash

Nope cant see no pics but I can see where its says click on the image to inlarge. I think rcu has bugs. This morning it crashed and I couldnt get online message said they had a problem error or something. When I click on the spot that says inlarge image a page comes up saying it cant be displayed.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 PM
cyclesoul

ha! nice!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
toyotatruckin

not just any bugs.. MODagascar hissing roaches![sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
unclecrash

Oh **** now I fell out my chair on the floor LMAO[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Savage X Driver

hey peeps i seen lots of people putting tie raps on their cooling heads but wont they melt because of the temperature??
Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 AM
sleepy306

I hope this works, but here are some pics of my os18 tztx with the cvrm 18 cooling head. First off, the header should have some type of cooling. My header is associated 'factory' part that use to be blue, but not anymore due to the heat. The heat also melted some of the pullstart handle and pull start case.

I shaved off the area between the head button and the case since with the tz, the sleeve is almost flush with the engine case. In order for the button to have better contact with the sleeve, I shaved of the extra metal between the head button and the case. In the picture, I pointed to the area that I shaved almost all the way down. I also used longer head screws...the screw heads were larger than stock, so I had to open the are on the black part where the screw comes down in the head so it can seat properly. I didn't what the screws sticking out on top. At the end, the head screws were flush with the top.

this is what I did. Hope this can give others an idea of what you should or should not do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.