Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

BENCH TUNING AND BREAK IN

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

BENCH TUNING AND BREAK IN

Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 PM
cwaterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BENCH TUNING AND BREAK IN

ok here is a question,, i know bench tuning isnt a good idea because of no res on prop,, what if removed the prop and installed a weight of some sorts, when tuning or breaking in of course with a water hode hook up to the water intake for cooling...think about it,, with a weight in the shaft there shoule be some resentance on the drive line,, lets get everyone thoughts on this..
Old 01-01-2007, 05:35 PM
misshydro

Default RE: BENCH TUNING AND BREAK IN

I did this trick.If you got a garage or shed,put your boat a tub of water and get a hose to hook up to the water inlet tube and run water threw it wial your boat is running.you could hold your boat wial its being broken in or hook two strong string/rope,so your boat wont take off on you.But I would reconmend you doing this to get your boat to get your boat close to in tune so your boat wont die on you in the pond.hit your throtel two to three times quick burps at half -3/4 throtel,If your boat dies out then you have to richen it up some.If your boat dont die out on you then run your boat on a small pond to finishing breaking your motor in.[8D]
Old 01-01-2007, 08:44 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I'd be worried about the effect of the weight on the strut bushing. It's not really designed to have a large weight on there. Also, once the weight is spun up, it doesn't actually create much resistance for the engine. A better option if you must break in an engine on the bench is to remove it from the boat and fit it with an airplane prop.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 PM
misshydro

I'd did this prosess when ever my carb gets out of tune.It does work.It gets you close to do a small pond run,then finish tuning it in at the pond.It's less break downs/die outs= less retrival time too=more run times.But the way I do it is,hold the boat run it at half to 3/4 throtel for 5-8 second.If i dies out richen the carb up until it quits dieing out.If it quits dieing out then your good to do a pond run.Then finish your breakin at the pond.Run two quarts of fuel threw your motor then your motor should be broken in then.then you can run at full throtel.Thats what I'd did.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Doing that can also destroy an engine. If you must do it away from the pond or lake, take it out of the boat and put an aircraft prop on it. Holding it in a tub of water isn't the same as running in the lake due to the additional resistance of forcing the boat to sit still.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

My thought is don't waste your time. Get to the pond and tune/break in the motor where it's designed to be done. It's tough to do the airplane prop process on an outboard motor
Old 01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ob nut

My thought is don't waste your time. Get to the pond and tune/break in the motor where it's designed to be done. It's tough to do the airplane prop process on an outboard motor
You mean you can't just replace the flywheel with a prop and turn the boat into a heli?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

I'd like to see that one Chuck
Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Flabum

you could leave a small pitch prop on it to give it some transom lift
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 AM
misshydro

The prosess That I did only take less then a min to do!! It get you carb close to dialed in to finish the finnal tunning and motor breakins at the pond.By doing a quick tub run to get the carb close to running adds water restants on the prop.This save me on alot of boat retrival, die outs on the pond!Plus I'd recondmend to run it in a small pond to save time on boat retrivals too.[>:]
Old 01-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

And in that minute or two, you've broken a conrod, crank or driveshaft. Been there done that.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:22 AM
misshydro

I said less then a min like 30 seconds that what it took to get the carb close to run.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 AM
ob nut

Oh, put the plane prop on the flywheel you say. [&:] Always thought the cav plate would get in the way!!!! [:-]
Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 AM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: misshydro

The prosess That I did only take less then a min to do!! It get you carb close to dialed in to finish the finnal tunning and motor breakins at the pond.By doing a quick tub run to get the carb close to running adds water restants on the prop.This save me on alot of boat retrival, die outs on the pond!Plus I'd recondmend to run it in a small pond to save time on boat retrivals too.[>:]
I dont see what the size of the pond has to do with anything.I run and break mine in in a huge lake. But if you are worried about chasing and time chasing it simply run a smaller circuit or oval like I do. I never once have to wade out over my knee's. And if the pond is big and deep and you must use a retrieval boat just run the small ovals. Any way you look at it you still have to go get the stalled boat.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
misshydro

The pond that I use to do test runs is small but deep so I have to use a connew to retrive the boat.But is stort retrival time to=more run time.That why I streese on saying run in smaller ponds.The pond around here are deep.10 to 15 feet deep.these are man made ponds too.I have two pond to play in one small to do test on and the 3/4 acer pond/big one to run full out on.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM
cwaterhunter

i have two ponds near me one i can see from the house, small,, and not very big can retieve with the ball on a fishing rod .. the other is HUGH,, about 5 miles from me.. so guess where ill be going to test and tune.. lol as some of you know i have a jet stream.. i removed the 10 installed a 15.. got rid of that silly gear reduction. the way i am setting it up i can also install a 2.5 i have two of them.. one reg and one "R".. iam waiting on some parts from e-bay and tower.. maybe get it wet in a few weeks..the 10 ran awsome,, but wanted more speed.. so iam selling it on e-bay,, lol,,i also have a dumas deep v 61 inch iam putting a hpi s25 in, shout go good that motor is rated with 2.5 hp..if any one want to see hows the jet stream conv is going ill post so in progres pics it kinda gonna be set up like a nitro v,,i know its a abs hull but iiam am surprized how thick it is,, i also habv a ele iam converting to nitro,, that thin,, anyone know how old the jet stream is? iam thinking mid 80's or so...i got it on e-bay with a ton of evtra parts and a motor.. these were not run alot. the exhouse ports are very clean.. thanks for all of you guys input to this question,, i have learned a lot here, i read every page,, was a long nite lol
Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
TIA

How about hooking a servo horn, linkage, and a servo using a third channel on the HSN and you could tune it on the fly?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 PM
unclecrash

Third channel works great I have one on my Dumas. As for size of pond it dont matter. If bit of common sence is used just run closer laps. Big or small if the boat dies you have to chase it. If you run the same size laps on the big pond as you do the small pond it will take the same amount of time to retrieve it.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM
cyclesoul

I ran the first tank through my new boat on the bench, it worked really well, the only things to watch are the extra wear you will get in the flex tube liner as there isnt any water in there along with the grease to lube it up, also you have to watch your trottle blips as it is very easy to over rev the engine without load on it.

While it isnt a proper breakin on the engine because of the lack of load, it is still getting the various parts of the engine working together and will make it less likely to stall once you get it out on the water.

Here's my set up. pic is from my phone so its a little crappy. If I was to do it again I would prbably take the prop off and sit it in a tub of water to keep the flex tube wet.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Flabum

ORIGINAL: cyclesoul

I ran the first tank through my new boat on the bench, it worked really well, the only things to watch are the extra wear you will get in the flex tube liner as there isnt any water in there along with the grease to lube it up, also you have to watch your trottle blips as it is very easy to over rev the engine without load on it.

While it isnt a proper breakin on the engine because of the lack of load, it is still getting the various parts of the engine working together and will make it less likely to stall once you get it out on the water.

Here's my set up. pic is from my phone so its a little crappy. If I was to do it again I would prbably take the prop off and sit it in a tub of water to keep the flex tube wet.
One of the ideas of grease on the cable is to keep water off it, if you are getting water mixed in with the grease (turning it milky), maybe you need to get some better grease. Bench running it is fine so long as you have plenty of grease on the cable.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 AM
jetpack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case, I have three makes of engines, and each mfg has aero/heli versions of it. I bought most used, and have gone through them with new bearings and some new parts. Each motor got its own new pipe and header also. I am fortunate to have them all side exhaust for the most part, so cutting the header and pipes is possible in those cases with bench running with an airplane prop.

Instead of any the frustration at the pond, putting wear on a new hull just to get the bugs worked out with the motor break-in, cutting pipe lengths and header lengths, debugging any fuel system problems, I kept an eye out for what little bits are required to convert it over to thier aero versions - finned heads, prop hubs and washer. The only problem you might run into with this conversion is the crankshaft might be a little long but just use another close fitting washer under the prop nut.

I figure I can keep a better eye on things as it breaks in also, the tempurature I can watch with a thermo lead and also keep an eye on what the exhaust residue is doing. Being able to load the motor pretty much wherever you want with the props available cant be beat for a nice smooth pull on things as your breaking in / tuning.

For the amount of new engines and boats for me (i think its going to be four new builds), the little bit of work it will require to build a test stand i can mount all my engines in will be worth the time and backache of working at the lake with it.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:06 AM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: cwaterhunter

i have two ponds near me one i can see from the house, small,, and not very big can retieve with the ball on a fishing rod .. the other is HUGH,, about 5 miles from me.. so guess where ill be going to test and tune.. lol as some of you know i have a jet stream.. i removed the 10 installed a 15.. got rid of that silly gear reduction. the way i am setting it up i can also install a 2.5 i have two of them.. one reg and one "R".. iam waiting on some parts from e-bay and tower.. maybe get it wet in a few weeks..the 10 ran awsome,, but wanted more speed.. so iam selling it on e-bay,, lol,,i also have a dumas deep v 61 inch iam putting a hpi s25 in, shout go good that motor is rated with 2.5 hp..if any one want to see hows the jet stream conv is going ill post so in progres pics it kinda gonna be set up like a nitro v,,i know its a abs hull but iiam am surprized how thick it is,, i also habv a ele iam converting to nitro,, that thin,, anyone know how old the jet stream is? iam thinking mid 80's or so...i got it on e-bay with a ton of evtra parts and a motor.. these were not run alot. the exhouse ports are very clean.. thanks for all of you guys input to this question,, i have learned a lot here, i read every page,, was a long nite lol
I dont think your HPI in a 61in. hull is going to cut it if your lookin for fast. Maybe a .67 or .80, .90 then it will be quick. Im running a .67 full modd in a 38in hull and its quick.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 AM
cwaterhunter

accuallt that was a typo,, its a 31 inch daen 6 is right next to the 3 lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20393.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	589527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78170.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	589528  
Old 01-03-2007, 05:14 AM
unclecrash

Now your talkin I was going to say way big for that motor. If I see people putting .21 in 30in hull I will stuff a .45 in it That .21 would do real good in a wild thing at 26in.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 AM
cwaterhunter

well its air cooled so it needs a open canpony,,lets see how this goes and who knows. the jet stream may also get a bigger motor,, i removed the 10 and that silly gear reduction and put in a aquacraft 15,, just waiting on a few parts, that might get a trxxas 2.5 or something else later, i want to see how it handles..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97422.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	589531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60183.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	589532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93312.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	589533  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.