Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro boat engine queery

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro boat engine queery

Old 01-06-2007, 05:16 AM
hyper701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro boat engine queery

i was just told that a nitro boat engine will run richer in the water than it will out of the water (revs harder out fo the water than it does in the water) is this true? this makes scence, because my engine peaks out on the shore, and when i put it in the water it doesent seem to rev as hard. if it is true, should i lean my engine out more so it peaks out more on the water, rather than having it peak out on the shore? CHEERS
Old 01-06-2007, 07:16 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: nitro boat engine queery

I wouldn't say the engine runs richer on the water, but the extra load requires more fuel. An engine that revs well on the shore frequently dies from fuel starvation soon after being launched. A good rule of thumb is that if you adjust it to run well on shore, it's too lean.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:17 AM
unclecrash

You should not be peaking your motor on shore [X(] you are going to blow it up. It is going to rev easier on shore because there is no load on the prop. Heres how you see if its set close. Run the boat bring it in dial the HSN in about 30degrees run it again see if it gains more rpm or speed if it does bring in turn HSN in another 30degrees run again if it gains more speed bring in and do another adjustment till when you run it you notice it does not gain anymore speed or you notice it falls flat and tends to hesitate. If it hesitates bring in quick shut down. Back the HSN off atleast 30 degrees run again. this should be very close if after running for 4min. or so you notice it is loosing speed or hesitating it is still getting a bit lean back the HSN out again and run till you can acheive the highest speed without falling flat or hesitation.At this point I will back it out about another 30 degree just so it isnt boarder line lean.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 AM
hyper701

ok so if i do that, and get it as lean as possible on a straight run, what happins when the prop cavitates, or comes out of the water, will the engine over-rev?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 AM
unclecrash

I havnt had no problems dialing my boats in this way. Heck If your peaking it out on shore I would be more worried about throwing a rod that way. If you hear it cavitate let off the gas. I dont think its going to blow in a split second like I say if its running lean you should know it by hesitation or boat slowing down then shut it down quick and back it out.You take a chance every time a boat comes out the water of it over reving. My big dumas spends a lot of time flying I just tr to let up on her if possible.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:35 PM
hyper701

thanks, i think i will lean it a little more
Old 01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Believe It
Banned

read the plug! You want the coil on the plug to have a very slight grey color to it, and still have a sheet of fuel on the bottom of the base.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 AM
hyper701

ok i got this engine runnin sweet now, i leaned it about another 1/4 a turn and now it is peakin well in the water. thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2007, 01:22 AM
unclecrash

Good to hear now just keep an eye on it if after running for 3 or 4 minute it tends to loose speed or hesitate fatten it up abit. Also keep in mind as the temp drops a 2 stroke engine will run a bit leaner so you may need to fatten it up. Same thing if temp rises you may need to lean it out a bit more to find the sweet spot again. Dave