Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New To RC boating

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New To RC boating

Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 PM
p113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To RC boating

Im new to RC boating, however I’m experienced in full scale boating, so I’m not totally useless

We have a RIB (ridged inflatable boat), google it if you don’t know what it is.

This is what i would like to build, they are fast, and good in rough seas, id like to do some wave jumping if possible, just like we do in the real thing

I'm totally open to length, I would have thought that 3-4 feet would be good. Too big? Too small?

I was hoping to run twin nitro’s with 2 jet drives which i have found [link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/]here[/link] for the coolness of 2 engines and for power/pickup.

Is two 15cc or 10cc engines enough, would i be better going for 2 props instead?

Now onto the next set of questions

I will have to make this boat myself. From what i can see fiber glass is going to be the best option. Can I simply make a male mould of the hull then lay fiber glass and gel coat over that. I propose to make the mold from polystyrene like substance, its finer and normally green. It’s sometime used with fake flowers. Sorry I have completely forgotten the name [] And then cover that with tin foil or cling film and lay the fiber glass on that.

For the engines, do i need a silencer or can u run a manifold through the hull straight into the water like the real thing?

How does the water cooling work? do you have to be moving for water to cool the engine or is there some sort of pump?

Finally, fuel, does the tank need to be pressurized with the exhaust like the nitro cars?

Thanks very much for any help, sorry for some many questions.

P113
Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Flabum

Default RE: New To RC boating

Hi,

To build your "male mold" which is technically called a "Plug", you should stay away from plastics since plastics will warp and/or melt from the chemical reaction and heat generated by the curing gelcoat and fiberglass resin. I would make the plug using balsa and plywood then cover it with a polyester based putty such as an auto body putty. Sand it smooth and spray that with gelcoat. Once the gelcoat cures, wet sand, polish and wax it until it looks as perfect as you can get it. The better the plug looks, the better the final product will look and you will have minimal finish work to do. You will then be ready to make the mold off the plug. Be sure to use Mold Release Wax on the plug before you begin making the mold. same goes for when you make parts from the mold.

As for size, 36 - 46 inches would be a good managable size. I would think two .21 or larger engines (preferably two .45's) as a twin setup if you use jet drives. Depending on final weight of course.
The water cooling should be supplied by a fitting on the jet drive, simply put, whenever the jet drive is spinning (and in the water), water will be supplied to the engine.
You will likely be using a tuned pipe on the engines, you can run those pipes out the transom or above the transom. There is a variety of pipes and silencers on the market to meet your needs.
The fue tank does need to be pressurized, it will be just like on planes and cars.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:45 PM
toyotatruckin

Ill answer a couple for ya
Nitro fuel tanks run off pressure just like the rc cars do
As for water cooling it needs to be moving to work water is forced in a pick-up usually rudder or brass tube moves to one of 2 fittings on the head one in one out very simple.. Im not sure there is a water pump for nitro but might be..?
Also nitro engines need tuned pipes to run at there best....

performance would be greater with props than the jet drives atleast from what I have read about them...
Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

RIB's aren't very popular on this side of the Big Pond but I do know what they are. I've seen some advertised in Marine Modeling Int'l. magazine so there are some kits available over there but not possibly in the size that you'd like to have.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

I think a couple of questions weren't really covered. You asked about running the exhaust into the water like areal boat. Simply put, don't do it. To see why, just stuff a potato into your car's exhaust and try to drive it. A tuned pipe through the transom is a proven method, but keep it above the waterline. Water cooling is very simple. Toyotatruckin pretty much covered it, but I'll try to make it simpler. You need an underwater pick-up(can be a dedicated brass tube or integrated into the rudder), a water line of some sort going from the pickup to one side of the engine head and an outlet line going overboard from the other side of the engine. A water pump isn't needed unless you have a clutch between the engine and the driveline, which I'm seriously opposed to.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 AM
p113

Thanks allot for all the info, i will keep you posted on what happens. Do you think a bigger single engine (petrol/gas) would be better than two nitros for that size?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Flabum

a single petrol engine would be easier to set up, run and maintain.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 AM
toyotatruckin

Cheaper to!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
p113

Not as much fun as two engines though

Making the hull from balsa wood, would be very difficult. Could i make a plug from oasis foam (yes i remembered it) coat it in pva then make a casting of the hull from plaster of paris and gel coat and fibre glass that?