Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

K/B Motors - Should We Quit Using Them?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K/B Motors - Should We Quit Using Them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K/B Motors - Should We Quit Using Them?

I am very disappointed with the lack of response and poor website, and theres basically a total collapse of help with that company MECOA.

I've been debating if I should just sell off all my KB motors than have to deal with MECOA.

You cannot find a price or anything on parts, its all based on "thread response". When you break or think of adding spares its a guess in the dark about the entire matter.

Is KB even MAKING new motors, or are they just plugging along and using up "product over-runs" that they have in stock? I feel like we are being kept in the dark about that whole company.

That thread about the person with the broken 3.5 con-rod and had no response from MECOA just adds to my suspicions.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:17 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K/B Motors - Should We Quit Using Them?

Without stating my opinion on the way MECOA is handling the K&B line, I'll just add that you can find parts and prices on all of their current engines from their web site. Can you find parts for older, non-production engines on their site? Probably not, but you can't do so for many other manufacturers, so nothing's different. If you don't want to deal with MECOA, but still want K&B parts, call someone like G&M models at 630-279-2451. There are several others who also carry K&B parts and can also help with older engines.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 AM
jetpack

Thanks Chuck for the contacts, but there should be at least some type of price reference to all of it somewhere. I know they have produced many, many varieties of their motors and if you dont have the original instructions your pretty much a gonner with what things should cost or what part number they are. K/B part numbers are a total mess to have to look at, and good luck determining what variety you have in your hand when you go to pursue such a thing.

I like K/B motors and proud they are still made in USA, but its just another example of a company that falls not because of quality, but poor performance on organization and customer service abilities. Seems their "books" all have too loose of bindings in that regard. I am a frustrated owner not because of quality or price, its having to deal with a "ghost" of a company.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

you're beter off dealing with sellers of K*B engines and parts than with them directly. Since the buy-out and the move to California I've heard of horror stories with this company, especially with the person handling the phones. One person like that can drive a company into the ground.
They have a both every year at the Toledo show. Maybe you'd like to pay them a little visit in person.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Believe It
Banned

i ordered a new head button and new piston/sleeve set for my 67 motor right through the website and had no issues at all. Recieved them in less then a week.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
LES301M

I also bought some rebuild stuff for my old 3.5 without any problems. I have not called them, So I can't comment on the phone service.
The website was pretty clear about what parts were in stock, etc... and pricing. I did have to dig through the online parts list, Mine was a old motor.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
oldlugs

My only complaint about the K&B marine line, is that they're no longer catering to the racer like they were when the K&B folks actually raced boats themselves. Their marine engines are now very old-fashioned... Time to develop some modern race engines!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:23 AM
ozbryan

i have to agree with jet paks comment of " a ghost company" when i tried to order 7.5 out board they told me a couple of weeks months later i had to email them as to whats happening. it took up to a week to get a reply at times over my 6 MONTH wait for a motor that i canceled my order on.

when i have ordered spares i have got them straight away but as for new motors......... and the lack of info ans customer service! i work in customer service and i would loose my job if i worked the way that company is run.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
jetpack

two weeks have past since i posted a simple question at KB/Mecoa website concerning the availability/existence of an exhaust adapter for a 3.5 - no response. sad.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 AM
rcboater671

ON THE DEFENSE OF MECOA FIRST OF ALL AT LEAST WE HAVE SOME SORT OF PARTS SUPPLY FOR OUR K&BS WHICH IS BETTER THAN NONE AND AS FAR AS LOOKOING UP PARTS ON THERE WEB SITE I HAVE HAD NO TROUBLE AND WHEN I DID HAVE QUESTIONS THE GENTLEMAN ON THE PHONE (WHICH IS THE ONE YOU NEED TO TALK TO ) WAS ALWAYS ABLE TO IDENTIFY MY ENGINES BY SIMPLY MEASURING PARTS IN THE ENGINES BUT I WILL AGREE THEY NEED TO BUILD SOME HIGHER OUT PUT MOTORS TO COMPETE WITH SAY MAC AND PICCO AND OPS
Old 05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
moparbarn

i ordered parts for my .21 obs about the same time you started this thread.new on this site (as you know), so i just found it. i printed 2 different parts/price lists off the mecoa site. one had current part#s, prices and availability, and the other listed old and new part #s, and model # applications. also, some supercessions. when i figured out what i needed, i called on the phone and had no trouble ordering. got my parts in about 4 days. some for an older 12mm crank motor, and some for my 13mm crank/prather mod motor. both were ebay specials, so i had no paper work to help id them. the web site did that ok, just by researching. i have not ordered online, or tried to ask a question on their site, so i can't comment. one list(prices) is the shopping cart one, and the application list is the "3.5CC (.21 CU. IN.) ENGINE" parts list. hope this helps, though a little late to the party
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
stempak

they always seemed slower and not up to par compared to a O.S etc. put the prices and hp claims reflect that. but they are the roots of boating when gas seems to be taking over. there still good looking motors
Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
jetpack

There's really not a quality issue vs price, they are reasonable in both of those aspects. I found out what eventually happened to my order after 2 months of waiting that contained three emails to them to reply spaced a week apart. Turns out my bank changed names and cancelled the card number I had that I used to order my parts with. It took me three attempts and all that time to find out they just rejected my order without returning contact with me about it.

I would have never started this post if this isnt the second time out of three I was lost in their system without them contacting me what the problem was. And who wants to call them if they charge me by the minute with a return call appointment only situation. Thats screwy.

I'm just glad someone's having good luck with them but so far my odd's havent been that good.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
gooycheese

From what Ive been told the Phone number Piper put up I think is Gary Preusse's company (I'm not 100% sure) but if it is he is suppose to be "The Best K&B parts guy around". He is suppose to be better than the manufacturer, at getting the parts that you need and in a good time frame.

Paul
Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

From what Ive been told the Phone number Piper put up I think is Gary Preusse's company (I'm not 100% sure) but if it is he is suppose to be "The Best K&B parts guy around". He is suppose to be better than the manufacturer, at getting the parts that you need and in a good time frame.
Yes, G&M is Gary Preusse.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, 630-279-2451 is Gary Preusse's number. Dave yourself the hassle of ordering through K&B and call him or one of the other K&B delaers. Joe Monohan of 707 Specialties is another.