Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Kits or scratch plans?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Kits or scratch plans?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
kd7oir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kits or scratch plans?

Are there any scratch build plans or hull kits out there for .21-.40 or .18-.25. I'd like a off shore mono or a cat. I'd like something tryed and true, and not a concept boat.
Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kits or scratch plans?

You may want to look at what Dumas has to offer. Typically the wood is garbage. Most in the know buy good Marine grade plywood from someone like Lone Star Balsa or National Balsa and use the kit pieces for templates. I can think of several very good hydro kits in wood but most of the "fishing boat" crowd lean towards fiberglass hulls and bolt the hardware on. No building.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:36 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

If you want a mono, do some searches on the Wild Thing. It's a nice .21 mono. You can also scale up the plans to .40 size. You can see pics and the build article, and order the plans, here: http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/RB/plans/fspb1000.asp . I don't know of any "tried and true" cat plans.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:02 AM
kd7oir

I'm not wild about the idea of buying a Dumas kit just to use it as a templit set. I've also been told there instructions are should go in the trash.
thanks piper_chuck for the link. This is what I was looking for. If there is any others out there I'd love to see them.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Square Nozzle

There are several threads on the "Wild Thing" in this forum. Look them up. I built one a few years ago and I can attest to the capability and speed of the boat. However, it is not a boat that you want to run in rough water unless you throttle back a lot. As I alluded to in my previous posting, get some good quality marine grade plywood from someone like Lone Star Balsa or National Balsa. Don't try door skin or light ply. You'll be back in the Dumas category if you do.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 AM
kd7oir

Thanks John;
I'm not new to building boats. I've built a fiew swampbuggies. In fact I'm in the works of building one now and using aircraft grade 5ply Birch plywood. I'm just trying to save my pennies for a motor and running gear for this boat. What do you think of running the O.S. .32 SX-MX Marine for the Wild Thing? Will I have to do any mods or scale it up 10-15%?
Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Square Nozzle

Based on what I can see of the engine on the Tower web site, I would say that the boat as designed for the .21 engine will be fine for the OS 32. The engine does not look like a power house with the front intake and a pull starter. If you are looking for just a fun boat with no aspirations to race, put the 32 in it. If you some day plan to get involved in racing, the engine is a mongrel. To big for the A Mono class (NAMBA terms) and you'll get your doors blown off in the B Mono category.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I'd choose the OS .21 RG-M and the standard size Wild Thing over a "biggie sizing" it for the .32. The .32 SX is a pretty good sport airplane engine, but in marine version, it's specs are anemic when compared to the .21 RG-M. Also, it would be really good to look into buying an electric starter rather than going with the pull start version of either engine. The pull starters add weight, $, extra maintenance, and rob a bit of power. You can get a starter and 12V battery for not much more than the extra cost of the pull start.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM
kd7oir

What about the O.S. Max .21 VZ-M?
Shawn
P.S. I do have a starter for aircraft that has a grove in the cone I use on the airboats.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont pay for the plans of the wildthing get the gas mono plans and scale them down its basicaly the same boat and the plans are free just do a search for the gas mono building a boat the chronicle thread.
heres the plans for free just down size on your printer settings to the size you need.i built this boat 36" for a 60 size nitro plane engine but you could build it any size you need.
[link]http://new.intlwaters.com/FreePlans/gasmono.htm[/link]
Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Square Nozzle

You're looking at $319 for a fun boat engine???? If I were to spend that much money I'd opt for the MAC 21. And every time you get a lean run, you blew about $7 for a special turbo glow plug. The cost of the high nitro fuel that this engine wants is $30+ per gallon. Again, if you plan to get into competitive boat racing and you have the money to spend, by all means go for it. If it's to be a fun boat, my opinion, you're wasting your money. Not to mention the lack of fun you'll have dealing with tuning the engine for optimum performance.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 PM
kd7oir

Thanks John. I want to try to stuf as much dinamite (I'd love some tnt or C4) in as small a package as I can get away with. I want to build a "fun boat" but I want a fast one too. Hydros, tunnels, canerds and outriggers dont intrest me, just deep Vs (#1) and cats (#2). Watching this video ( http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....bc926602a61e4d ) well it gives me a "drag the wife into the bed room and have my way" kind of "hart on" watching that little bullet do circles around that airboat. The air boat isn't doing bad eather.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Square Nozzle

You may not be interested in a full body hydro or a rigger but they will do circles around the mono in your video ----- if you're looking for fast. If that's your desire, I would suggest you consider an engine that does not require specialty glow plugs. Simply because they are very expensive and probably will not provide any substantial increase in performance. That's the word on the street anyway. My Wild Thing has a MAC .21 on 60% nitro with a remote mixture control in it and has been radared at 47 mph. It runs a 3 blade X440 prop, balanced and sharpened by CMDi. The water you show in the video is ideal for that boat. Just be prepared for a lot of "tuning time". Fuel mixture (if you don't install remote mixture) every time the weather changes, pipe length, prop selection, prop balancing and sharpening, fuel, trimming the hull etc. etc.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 PM
kd7oir

Wow, 60% sounds like $$$$$ (and speed).
I don't know. I don't like out riggers because there ugly (I know looks isn't everything but if I build something, it's important to me) and hydros don't do real well in rougher water. I like monos because there simple, and if built right and ballanced well, will do fair in rougher water.
Well here is my criteria. Money isn't a huge concern for building (if the wife will let me get away with building a $1100.00 plane rtf without knowing how to fly, I'm safe) but it does have it's limits, so say $300.-600. rtr less radio isn't unreasionable. Where money does play a factor is running and maintance which leaves out the O.S. Max .21 VZ-M. (thanks John for pointing that out) The wind is always blowing here so we never have the best water conditions, so a hydro is out. I want a little larger than a .18-.21 because of the water. So I'm looking at the wrong motors, so maybe a .40? (gass is out because weight to power is to low dynamite remember) Tryed and true is important because I don't want to be buying alot of props and pipes for trial and error (a 1or 2 pips, and 5 or 6 props is ok.) I expect some "tuning time" but that's why I'm here so I'm not giong into it blind. This has to be scratch build. Not because of caust, but because I don't want the same boat that Joe Blow down the street bought and pulled it out of the box, went to the river with it 3 times, and now it just sits on a shelf because he lost interest. Part of the play is the build for me and I take pride in it. I don't even care if I have to build it out of fiberglass. (I'm looking into that)
I'll think of more, but have to go for now.
Shawn
Old 01-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Square Nozzle

Shawn, from what you want in a boat, I'd steer you toward getting the Wild Thing plans and blowing them up to about a 40" hull and sticking a mild .40 engine in it. It will have reasonable speed, won't need $30+ a gallon fuel or special glow plugs and will handle "rougher water". A rule of thumb in boat racing is speed = $$$$$$$$$$. True racing engines are expensive ($300ish for a .21 and more for a .45 or .67). Fuel for the monsters is expensive also. Not to mention the glow plugs that you'll consume just because of the nature of the engine. Your $300 to $400 target won't get you into that category anyway so stick with the Wild Thing and a reasonably priced engine. Enjoy the build and the satisfaction that you'll get when you have a boat you built. And it won't be the cookie cutter plastic toy that your neighbor has.