Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

what you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 AM
4wheelinrevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what you think?

i made a deal to get another boat this coming week

its the prather deep vee with an ops 67 engine, everything is brand new

what do you guys think of the ops 67 engine, i heard the prather deep vee is pretty nice boat, i kknow its bigget then my TC31
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
oldlugs

Default RE: what you think?

Good working hull, good engine. Be careful painting (epoxy-glass hull) and putting it together, and you'll have a nice boat. I'd use a modern radio box and Speedmaster hardware though. I'd also keep it sub-surface, as that's what it was designed for.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:34 PM
4wheelinrevo

actually it is all put together, never been in the water yet, basically built then just sat, its alreadu painted and everything, basically a RTR to for me, just fuel it up start it and go, built with radio and everything.

hoe big much bigger is the prather deep vee then my thunder cat 31?

i know i have heard people suggest OPS engines before but not he ops .67 so does anyone have any info on the ops .67 that they can share with me?

what kind of speed am i looking at?

when i search the forum for the prather dee vee i hear once you get it set up it is a real fun boat to drive, from what the seller tells me he says the boat should be pretty fast, i would imagine with a motor as big as a .67 i can use a pretty big size prop, from the info i found on the web it says it has 4.35-4.65hp (i guess depending on % nitro used) and 23,000 RPM, so I would assume its made to turn a big prop, like someone on this forum was explaining that you want a motor with alot of torque so you can use a bigger prop, which will go faster then a engine with less torque and a smaller prop and higher RPM's will. sounds logical.

does anyone know what the biggest engine that you can put into this boat is? looks like the ops .67 is about 11cc

thanks for your advice guys

cant wait to get this boat
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM
oldlugs

Prather made 3 sizes of their classic/offshore deep vee, the small one around 31", medium around 40", and the big one, I think around 46". The medium size boat was advertised as a 40/60 class boat, so I'd guess yours is either the 40" or 46". I'd figure if it's set up properly, you can count on mid 50's to mid '60s for speed. For the prop, you might want to try a Prather 245 or 250, or maybe Octura X452 or X452/3...
Old 04-07-2007, 04:01 PM
4wheelinrevo

so since the one im getting is the prather deep vee 40 (so its 40 inches long then?) it has a .67 engine in it so it should cruise nicely huh?

so the prather deep vee 40 with a ops .67 i should be doing in the 50-60 mph range? that will be nice thats almost twice as fast as my TC31 will do right now, this is going to be a fun boat, im picking it up at the end of the week, i cant wait especially since i dont have to build it, but im sure i will find ways of upgrading it thou

here are some pics of the prather deep vee ill be getting this week

Old 04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
oldlugs

I like it. You may need some trim tabs, but see how it does without 'em first. It may work OK without, 'cause I think with the surface drive, it'll run a little more wet than it would have set up sub surface. Should be a nice running boat. That hull has the newer "offshore" style deck, BTW. Feed it some 40%-50% fuel, and it'll be a blast to run.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:42 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HEY HOW YOU GUNNA START THAT BOAT, THERES NO ROPE TO PULL OR A BUTTON TO PUSH HE HE HE.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: f16man

HEY HOW YOU GUNNA START THAT BOAT, THERES NO ROPE TO PULL OR A BUTTON TO PUSH HE HE HE.
thats what the belt is for [:-]

Did OPS make a 67 with the cooling ring built onto the case? Looks alot like my Gold head 65 with a machined down head.

anyway.... you might wanna try a Prather 250/255 or possibly a 260 if you can find them. Or maybe a Octura X455 or X460/2. Not really too sure on vee's. My cat ran real well with the 250 and x455/3. No need for 40-50% unless ya racing really either (or you can get it nearby cheap). I ran low 50's on 10% with a wore out K&B 67...

That hull may get a bit flighty once in the 50mph range (which it should run). See where it balances out at and see how it runs..may wanna put some weight in the nose.