Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Eletronic speed control

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Eletronic speed control

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Team A-Hull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eletronic speed control

Never owned a boat before and looking for something powerful under $400. Was looking at the Shockwave 36. Can you hook up electronic speed control to any boat? Also extra cooling; can that also be installed? What is the boat everyone is talking about?

Thanks for the help
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 AM
wayneuk01

Default RE: Eletronic speed control

Mostly here in the gas boat forum its gas/petrol boats simalar to thease as for the most talked about every one likes diffrent boats from your home made woody with weed wacker engines to 92" twin engine power deep v' cats etc etc

http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/shoebox.msnw

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=wayneuk

I think your interested in a nitro shockwave 36 as for electronic speed controller that will not work in any nirto /gas boat .Although it will work in a electric boat that does not have a nitro/gas engine but has a electric motor
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is already and electronic speed control in there, it's called a servo.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Team A-Hull

My question seems stupid now but thanks for the advice. New the rc world. Do know of any good vast boats under $400?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
4wheelinrevo

if you are talking about electronic speed controler then you must be thinking of the shock wave 26, the 36 is gas the 26 is electric.

there are 3 basic kinds of speed controllers

brushed and brushless and a combo brush/brushless speed controller

a brushed speed control will only work on motors that use brushes, you can imediatly tell them from others because they use only 2 wires, a + and -

a brushless motor can only be used on a brushless motor, you can easily identify a brushless motor because it has 3 wires, 1 +, 1-, and the other wire senses what position the armature is in.

the of course the combo brushed/brushless speed controlers allow you to use either type of motor

brushless motors are more efficient and capable of more RPM's and torque, so you can get a faster more power full motor that lasts longer on a battery charge then its brushed counter part. there is also alot less maintanance involved in a brushless motor, they are alot easier to maintain

if you were to open up the motors you will see a big difference, on a brushed motor the magnets area ttached to the inside walls of the can, and the armature is wound with wires, there are tons of differnt brushed motors, you will see that they have ratings of 2,3,4,5 up to 28+ turns, a turn is how many times the wire is wrapped around the armature, the lower the turns usually the more RPM's that it can do. Then there is also the single, double, triple, quadruple wound, basically what that meanse is how many wires they use when they wrap the motor. so a triple wound 20 turn motor means this: they take 3 wires and put them together then they wrap the 3 wires around the armature 20 times to get a triple wound 20 turn motor. the higher # of wounds the higher torque that you have, so turns controls the RPM's and the wounds refer to the torque of the motor

on a brushless motor the wires are wrapped tro the inside wall of the can and the magnet is the armature.

and as far as your cooling question, if ther is no premade water heatsink cover to help keep it even cooler you can always make your own, they are not hard to make, just a little though and imagination and anything can be done

when you say "boat everyone is talkinga bout" what do you mean exactly? are you talking about RTR or build your own?

if you are talking about RTR then probably the 2 more popular boats are the proboat thunder cat 31 and the proboat shock wave 36, they are both good beginner boats that will do 35+ mph, and a good learning platform for you to learn the boat ropes on. both of these are nitro powered engines and not electric.

with that said the thunder cat 31 is a catamaran hull so it really doesnt need any trim tabs or side fins so it will be easier to get in the water and it handles good right out of the box, about the only thing you need to really adjust once you get the motor tuned right is the prop height. with the shockwave 36 you need to dial in the right setting s on the trim tabs and stuff. but both boats are goo learning platforms to start out with

If you want electric i do not know as i dont really keep track of electric boats

just my 2 cents
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
4wheelinrevo

ORIGINAL: mrblonde369

My question seems stupid now but thanks for the advice. New the rc world. Do know of any good vast boats under $400?

Thanks

the shockwave 36 and the thunder cat 31 you can get at your local hobby shop for $350, maybe cheaper i got mine for $320 all you need to get it ready is a glow plug ignitor, nitro fuel, 12 AA batteries (for remote and reciever), 1 C battery (for glow ignitor) and a few extra glow plugs and your good to go
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 AM
330T

The new Supervee 27 really looks like a good boat. I'd sugest you check it out.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the site by the way. This is a good place to learn about R/C boats so if you have a question, ask away. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
If you're interested in the Shockwave 36 or any other Ready To Run boats, we probably have a thread going on for it. Go past page one as we're getting ot where things are moving faster all the time in here. You can also use the search function to find what you're looking for.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 CENTS !? MORE LIKE $1.50
Old 04-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Team A-Hull

Thanks for all the info! I made my decision.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
4wheelinrevo

ORIGINAL: mrblonde369

Thanks for all the info! I made my decision.

what is it?

the suspense is killing me!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Team A-Hull

I bought the shockwave 36, would of got the thundercat 31 and i bid on both on ebay. They both seem like good boats with minor problems. I also got the Traxx Villian 14 volt for the hell of it. So it should be fun to see how well these boats run. Still might get a Thundercat on ebay if the price is right. Both boats i bought were new.