Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Flex collet troubles

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Flex collet troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex collet troubles

I found a collet that fits my os 21 rg engine, can I use the fly wheel nut that came with the engine to add to the length of the collet. The collet that I have seats to low within the fly wheel. Or am I originally supposed to use the flywheel retaining nut that came with the engine in conjunction with the collet?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
rcBPman04

Default RE: Flex collet troubles

Are you saying that the flywheel has a larger diameter than the collet so it is sliding into the flywheel? If so then use the flywheel nut to stop the collet from going into the flywheel. Now if the collete does not have enough threads now then upgrade the flywheel from another 21 with the same size drive.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
ByronRC

Yah the collet is going within the flywheel. So your saying I can use that nut to space out the collet?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
nobber

yes
Old 04-15-2007, 05:19 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you have enuff collet to grab when you tighten your cable down you should be ok,If not then add washers until you do or your in for troubles down the road...(loose flywheel bottomed out on shaft collet)..[:@]
Old 04-15-2007, 07:54 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the hex disappearing into the flywheel recess where you can't safely tighten it with a wrench anymore? Can you fit a deep wall socket on it instead? It's always better to keep all that as close to the flywheel as possible for balance reasons.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
ByronRC

Jetpack, The hex is disappearing within the flywheel. Meaning that I can't put a wrench to it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while it is better to keep it all close together,some things you can't avoid,....ADD washers till you have just enuff collet to grab with a wrench.......[:-] refer to post #5......
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 AM
topfuel4430

This is always a problem with the RG, a couple good discussions were going on at Intlwaters about the very problem. Someone makes a certain collet that will work as its intended to work (WITHOUT using the existing nut as a spacer), and you can get a wrench on it, but I cant remember who. If you have access to a lathe, a lot of guys "face" off the end of the flywheel however much is needed to get a wrench on the hex. just a couple more options.

~James

Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 AM
ByronRC

I'd much rather have the right collet. Do you know who makes the correct spacer?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to call Octura, and ask how long their hex area is on their collets. They are about the length of a standard nut, but they use a smaller hex size. Might be able to use a thin wall socket to tighten it.

Marine Specialties has a website, and the entire collet is a full piece of hex stock.

Aeromarine Laminates only sell Prather who is now closed. They are full stainless steel and some come with two sizes of hex diamters. The hex sizes for Aeromarine are all 5/8" hex at the flywheel, and 9/16" or 5/8" hex for the collet collar.

Marine Specialties might be your best bet, but their collets for 3/16" cables require a bushing, and it all uses set screws to clamp the cable, not as smooth in appearance as a tapered collet type.

Find out what size thread is on the crankshaft, and post it...maybe that will help narrow it down also.

If anyone else knows any other manufactures for flex collets it would be great to have a link or info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21742.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	667068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34525.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	667069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66203.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.2 KB