Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Black Jack...I spoke too soon(problems)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Black Jack...I spoke too soon(problems)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 AM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Jack...I spoke too soon(problems)

Well at least I got to run 10 tanks through it [:-].

I noticed fuel splatterd all over in inside a few tanks ago. I though it may be because to shut it down I usually plug the pipe which floods the engine makes a little mess through the carb. Well yesterday I presure tested it by blowing air though the fuel line with my mouth while covering the exhasut and carb and it seems that the main crank bearing is where it is leaking from.

Is there a quick fix(cinsidering that I have to pull the engine apart) other than to send the engine back to Pro Boat/Horizon?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:08 AM
gooycheese

Default RE: Black Jack...I spoke too soon(problems)

If you have taken engines apart before then changing a front bearing isn't that tough, I would change both if I was gonna change one. Regarding sending it in to proboat, if ya have 2 weeks then do it otherwise you could be back on the water the same day if you have the new bearing in hand. Try the LHS see if they have your bearing , also do call horizon and explain what happened and let them know you would like to put new bearings in (they should send you replacements)(they should send FREE replacements).

Paul
Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 AM
JAY FORTAY

As long as it is still under warranty they are usually pretty good about customer service. My motor is at HH as we type.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:39 AM
losifiend

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes I'm familiar with taking engines apat. I just had the same issue(only not a much fuel leaking) with the 427 in my LST2.

I dont want to waite if its not necessary so what I will do then is see if my LHS has one, replace it, and then call horizen and have them ship me a replacement. That way I can have a backup.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
gooycheese

Thats the way I would do it
Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
losifiend

I dissembled the engine yesterday and found that the crank shaft has about 2mm of in and out play. This explains why the engine would run perfect and then run crappy and so on. It seemed like as the crank pulled in it would loose pressure and spit fuel out of the bearing at low speeds and when it sped up the thrust of the prop, and forward momentum of the boat, would seat it in the bearing sealing the leak and giving maximum performance, I'm guessing. So its not the bearing. Its the crank thats causing the problems.

I'll be calling horizen tomorrow and see what they want me to do. It wont be a quick fix like I thought[]. But hey, at least Ill get to port the sleve to see how much faster it will plane and i'm even going to polish the pipe.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 AM
stempak

I talked to a guy that removed the clutch and put in a qd25 ht. Hey said that hull around 55 starts to get flighty. hey didn,t say if he moved the motor forward or put any weight up front etc. but a mildly modded zen should do 45-50+
Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
losifiend

Thanks, stempak. I dont know that I would want it to be that fast. I'm jst getting use to the minimal power out of the .15. If anything I'll move to an OS .18 later down the line. I would be curious to see what a .32 out of a TC would do in there[>:].

As an update, I called Horizen and they told me to send in the engine and that they would take car of the problem. They said that crank play(in and out) was not normal. If they send me a new engine I'm going to put it up for sale and use the funds to get an OS .18[8D]
Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Sean Bowf

I think the difference in gonig to an OS CVRM will be night and day. It will take some tuning to get it to run stable... I got about a 20% increase in speed over the aquacraft .18 in my MV...

Sean