Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What is the best boat to get?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What is the best boat to get?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM
george_georgoulas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best boat to get?

I have been racing rc nitro cars for a while so am fairly familiar with nitro engines.

Also race electrics and other stuf.

I was thinking about going with traxxas, do they make good boats, I know they make good cars.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: What is the best boat to get?

Traxxas make the Nitro Vee. It's a nice entry level deep vee. I beleive they have been selling for at least 8- 10 years now with very little modification. One of the best features of this boat is it "return to shore" motor. in the event you stall or run out of fuel, you can kick in an electric motor and bring it back. Out of the box top speeds are in the low 20's. I've heard many people modifing the boat and say they can get in the low 30's (I have doubts)
In short, this makes a nice entry level boat but if you are looking for real speed, you might consider looking into other options. (check out Aqua-Craft for example)
Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

If you're planning on racing, it would be good to determine what people are running locally before you buy anything.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
walterPPK

I'm also looking for an entry level boat, I have cars, helis and airplanes...

My LHS has a Traxxas Nitro Vee that will probably be my next purchase.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

You can get a lot of information on the Traxxas web site and fourm as well. Best of luck to both of you! & have fun!!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
jdoug

Best boat to get is one that is NOT RTR. If you take a look at any of the RTR threads you will see about 90 pages on how to make them better and faster. Well, if were me, I would definately put that time and money into something that is worth it from the start. Peice together (with the help from RCU if needed) a boat that will be fast, look good, and will last a long time.

I will always steer people away from RTR because I read the threads and know how frustrated new boaters get with them. I myself am a new boater and built a scratch built Wild Thing .18 for my first nitro boat. It runs awesome and almost too fast! I know not everyone has the time build a hull, but there are good ones in fiberglass out there ready for any hardware/engine combo you want.

My 2cents.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
knicks5171

I am an owner of the Nitro VEE. This boat is terribly made. I have had to replace the servo twice. The electronics are covered by a little piece of plastic with no protection from the water. If you get any water inside the boat you will most likly have to replace the electronics like I did. I have also needed to replace the gears that turn the prop due to overheating. The whole thing melted. Now I have little pieces of it all over the inside of the boat. The boat is extremlly hard to start even with traxxas' EZ Start system. Even after many tweaks and numerous trips to the hobby store is is hard to start. When it gets on the water it handles preety well and the acceleration is decent. However every time I use there is a problem. My suggestion would be to get something different then the Nitro VEE. I was much like you because I always heard that Traxxas made great cars, so I thought their boats would be just as good. Do not get this boat!

If anyone has any suggestions on what boat I should get next please tell me. I was looking at the Probot Shockwave 36. Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to jdoug. It appears he has his head on straight. Stay away from the Radio Shack RTR style junk and get something that is worth the money you will spend. Look for a good fiberglass hull like a Seaducer, one of the Aeromarine Laminates offerings or build a Wild Thing. You'll be further ahead in the long run. If boat lingo is foriegn to you, look up a local club or check with your LHS for boating activity in your area. Guaranteed the local boaters will be glad to help. As for the LHS and help there ---- Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Woodmandan2

Id get a Supervee 27 Nitro/Brushless both nice boats or a Shockwave 36. These are great RTR boats but somthing better than this would be a home made boat, but usually i only like making boats myself is in the winter when i can not run, then paint it in the spring and start to run. There are also The Hydros but mono's are much more stable than hydros, and the only boat i would not reccomend is a Rigger, unless its a Renegade Micro Rigger, as those are quite stable, but they have to use li-polys.
just my 2 cents
DAn
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry Dan, but I wouldn't recommend a hydro to a beginner. They can be too fast for a beginner and can be a bear to get set up and running right. I would not include the Miss Vegas in the hydro analogy as it can be a very user friendly boat.