Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The First Run

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The First Run

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 AM
oakboat89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The First Run

So i took the boat out onto the delta today and it didn't go too well. Started it up and put it in the water and it idled around. Then when I gave it only a hair of throttle it completely died. [&o] Now with no power and it drifting farther away from me it was time to retrieve. Oh i also forgot to mention the autobailer was letting in as much water as it could to sink the boat faster. Yeah so pretty bad first run. Thinking about putting an onboard ignition to keep the plug from loading up but other than that i plugged the autobailer since it was more trouble than it was worth...today sucked and I think the boat and I may part ways soon
Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 AM
ejds66

Default RE: The First Run

what kind boat do you have ?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:55 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey oakboat,don't give up the ship,lol,the troubles you 've described are common,just chalk that day up to due's paid.....give us more info on your boat,type,size,engine...etc , and we all can give you some info on how to have a great day on the water,with a minimum of hassles..if you can provide pics,that also will help,hang in there buddy and you will be rewarded.....
Old 06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Dan S

you cannot idle around on the water with any nitro boats (unless you have a clutch and fast idle), its not the plug that is loading up its the engine that is loading up on fuel and I doubt very much that an on board ignition will make any difference.

Just give the boat a GOOD toss and let her rip.

Check your autobailer for any debris that could be keeping them open.

Dan.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
gooycheese

I have spent hours for days on end at the pond trying to get my boat tuned in the way I think it should run. spent hours waiting for it to float close enough to shore to be able to retrieve it ( I use a fishing pole). I have also spent hours tossing boat in watch it got 20' then die bring it in and change setting and it does this all over again. If you really get frustrated go home for the day and try try again tomorrow, it will come and you will be happy (it may take a little trial and error). Like others have asked, if more info on the boat you have and engine you are running and even some pics of your boat and its running gear more help can be given.

Paul
Old 06-15-2007, 04:47 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said paul, how many times have we all "paid our due's"............[:-]
Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 AM
oakboat89

So what i know about the boat is that the motor is a Picco P5 and think that it's a .21 but not 100% sure. The engine is pretty old and it is supposed to use about 50% nitro and we were giving it about 15% so I'm not sure if that could cause some problems or what. The boat is only about 32in long and not very deep so it gets pushed around by the waves a lot. Other than that i don't really know anything about it. Hopefully when i test it again this weekend(hopefully) i'll have more time to adjust it and not worry about it sinking since I plugged the autobailer so that i wouldn't have to worry about that while I'm setting it up. I'm going to give it another try and maybe this boat could turn out to be a winner. Thanks for all of your guys' advice so far, patience really is the key. Oh and I also was wondering how to increase the sway of the rudder. The boat seemed to make some very wide turns but i figured they would get tighter as the speed increased. Is that right by any chance?
Thanks again everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62416.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	704874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20695.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	704875  
Old 06-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Dan S

hey oak,
is it me or is the rudder crooked?
not the small turn fin on the right thats ok but the rudder seems to be tilted, maybe its just the picture, if not it should be straight.

also noticed you use a belt to start the engine, ensure your starting the engine in the proper direction.

Don't let it idle on the water, give it a good toss.

as for your turning radius it should turn pretty good at faster speed but just in case, check how much left and right movement you on the rudder, you may need to adjust your transmitter (steering trim/steering throw).

Dan.