Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Idiots questions about Boats

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Idiots questions about Boats

Old 06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
wickkerr82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiots questions about Boats

hi guys, could someone tell me whats the difference between the prop ( as in the drive shaft that is attached to the prop and comes out behind the boat) being behind the rudder and the difference between rudder being further out then the prop ( as in the drive shaft that is attached to the prop and comes out behind the boat) is? Hope you get what i mean, if you dont i attached somw pictures to make you see the picture better. So its a question about what are diff from the rudder being before the drive shaft(the prop that comes out of the behind of the boat) and difference of the rudder being after the drive shaft/

And also, is this a good buy? if not could you guys recommend some boats.. preferrably Fiberglass hulls, and Nitro or Elect doesnt matter!
clink on the link:
http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...5&cid=49&idx=1
http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...0&cid=49&idx=1

cheers guys.

PS: hope ypu guys dont mind me posting this thread on Electric boat section too. thanks guys
cheers..
vin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30980.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	707148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63439.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	707149  
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Idiots questions about Boats

What you're asking about is a surface and sub-surface drive system. mostly it's a personal preference, the way the boat comes and some boats are specifically made for one or the other.
A surface drive allows the engine to rev a little higher plus it will spin a bigger prop. One sometimes downside is that it is more prone to cavitation or if mounted improperly you can get chine walking (the boat rocking side-to-side).
Sorry, I don't have any opinions on either of those boats. I did just get their smaller version of one that I'm building, the Delta Force 12 and waiting for some hardware to show up in today's mail. The boat was made for electric power but I'm building as a nitro powered version. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
saleens7

ron, i think he meant what the differece between the rudder being further out than the prop (im guessing in an inline setup) and the prop sticking out further than the rudder....

i dont think there is much of a difference is performace though...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM
wave waker

my understanding with the inline rudder or the rudder behind the prop is it makes the boat apparent longer and makes the lever arm longer too, with the longer arm the less load is applied to the rudder to makes the boat turn in contrast to the rudder close to the transom,,,, the less load to the rudder the more precise and smoother to turn the boat compare to more aggressive on the rudder located close to the hull...it depends of the driving style what set-up is more favorable...just my 50cents..
Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 PM
gooycheese

Inline rudders are turning in dirty water. My prop and rudder run side by side very close to the transom. I don't think alot riggers have really long running gear either.

Just my opinion ,

Paul

I'm not sure I would spend $550 on a RTR nitro boat. Miss Vegas, Nitro sv27, TC31 or SW36 would be a better bet. If racing is your idea the build your own or the first 2 I mentioned would be your best bet
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Note that $559 Singapore is around $364 US. Still not as low as the other boats quoted, but then there's the issue of shipping one to Singapore...
Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 AM
gooycheese

My Bad