Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

OS 46 powered TC31 the making...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

OS 46 powered TC31 the making...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 46 powered TC31 the making...

I use 3/16 in shafts for .45 and below and 1/4 inch shafts for .67 and above. Haven't had a problem with shaft breakage. As HR said, grease the shaft before each day of racing. I actually grease them at the end of the day during a multi-day event. Takes less than 5 minutes per boat. It also gives you a chance to do a quick visual to spot any unusual wear.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 PM
wave waker

hey guys[8D], back to work, as i'd promised i'l keep posting the update until this project is done.

well, i tried to use the stock motor mount but is pain in the rear to align it so, i end up putting a speedmaster mount...low profile improvised radio box can be seen too.

next, is coating the hull inside with MAS epoxy, that way, dirt will not stick around and add more strenght to the hull.

more to come.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66270.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	741032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95315.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	741033  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Hesco Racing

I dont see any slotting of your mounts. How sure are you that it is in line with the cable tube. Are you going to run a larger diameter cable too handle the extra power. What are you going to do to the hull's aerodynamics to handle the extra power.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Hesco Racing

I dont see any slotting of your mounts. How sure are you that it is in line with the cable tube. Are you going to run a larger diameter cable too handle the extra power. What are you going to do to the hull's aerodynamics to handle the extra power.

here's the final set-up pic's, inside of the hull coated by epoxy, cable alignment to the engine, 3/16 cable diameter is enough for .46. a .60-.90 pipe as recommended for the engine.

i think this boat can handle with stability in higher 40ish and 50ish, coz it was pretty stable when it was stock and running in 40ish,,kinda excited though what speed and stability will get.

Name:	Xv63078.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	742226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10404.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	742227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79150.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	742228  
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Hesco Racing

I dont know if its just hou the foto is taken but the motor looks high in the front. Maybe just the angle of the shadow playing tricks. Hell I turned that shaft off the first day I took out my TC. The problem comes in when you start setting the strut to get the nose up. Yes your motor would make more power and push it up no problem, but I'd still chainge it. But thats me. Looks cool though and can't whate to see it run.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM
wave waker

At last boat touches water this pm...ran 3 tanks only since i'm running out daylight and i have 2 more race boats to tune, Sweet OS .46 it's like energizer it keeps goin goin and goin, great response, lots of power, but it's louder though, this is a different kind of beast to tamed, my trimmed rudder and prop strut height and angle are no longer good, i need to get a bigger one to prevent spinning out in turns. I didn't push it hard yet, i just run it in cicle and noticed each time speed and power is pickin' up.

i run it without canopy coz i don't want to cut it until i find the best tuned pipe, i'd put the stock radio box for the sake of running it today, still workin' for the low profile radio box. boat looks crowded coz of extra water cooling line to the header.

hopefully i'l complete the break-in tom. and start of fine tuning.

btw, if anybody can post the approximate CG of the stock tc31 please,,,, i need to compare coz this motor is heavier than dynamite and boat runs wet.

Name:	Wu60382.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	748243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76892.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	748244  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Looks good Wave waker! I finished sanding mine today so I plan on spraying the color on tomorrow hopefully. I'm also going to put a thick clear coat on the bottom so I can buff it and make it slick as snot lol.

Humm wonder who else had a canopy scoop idea a year ago or so?

Please hurry up with that OS .46 I'm torn between that or the .21VZ-M

BTW what are those metal things on the front of your boat?

Name:	Pn36192.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	748263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84057.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	748264  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Dan S

Wave just a question,

why the fuel filter on your exhaust pressure?

Dan.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Hesco Racing

NitroSS dont spray the bottom unless you know how to spray orange peel and please do not buff the bottom to be slick as snot thats the oppisit of what you want. When the bottom is to smooth it suck into the water and generates drag, Think of the material they make a rubber duck out of or think of a golf ball. A dimple golf ball travels further than a smooth one due to less air resistance.

Wave waker looks great. How big is that feul tank you manage to shoehorn into the back of that hull. The CG on my boat when i got it was exactly on the motor. I will measure when I have time and post it.
And chuck that rudder it cant be doing any good. Remember with the swivel point in the blade you are trying to push the arse around instead of lpointing the nose.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: Hesco Racing

NitroSS dont spray the bottom unless you know how to spray orange peel and please do not buff the bottom to be slick as snot thats the oppisit of what you want. When the bottom is to smooth it suck into the water and generates drag, Think of the material they make a rubber duck out of or think of a golf ball. A dimple golf ball travels further than a smooth one due to less air resistance.
Lol Orange peel is what we normaly try to get rid of on cars anyways. You make an inetresting point though. But its too late I had already squared the hull steps before today and sanded everything to be smooth. The color is sprayed I'm waiting (dry time) before I add the 2nd color then clear. If I had known sooner I would of made some small concave repeated shaped on the bottom of the hull like a golf ball.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Hesco Racing

Ok the best you can do now is snad it with 1000 water paper dry (not wet) it shoeld take the shine off it or use some scotch bride pad and make it dull.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
wave waker

ok motor break-in done today, OS runs flawless, great acceleration, time to tuning now,.. by tom. i'm goin to test 4 pipes bunch of props and start to get the speed.

boat still won't go to planing after changing different prop angle n' ht., i'm thinkin' maybe the waterpick-up i installed in the bottom sponson is doin' this.

Hesco R, yup this rudder is a big joke, the pivot of the stock rudder is located in the center that makes violent behavior when turning...i'm putting a speed master rudder..the fuel tank is 6 oz. slim tank by sullivan

NitroSS, the metal thing in the front is a retrieving hook and i used to put the filter in the pressure line to prevent dirt stuck in the fuel tank and keep it clean.

Name:	Ca80560.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	748970  
Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 PM
wave waker

sorry guys do no what went wrong pics went wild huge!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:59 PM
JPriami

I look forward to hearing your results so it will help me in making a decision on the OS .46 or the .21vz-m. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your works. Also if you would pm me with where you got your motor mount and any other running hardware you found to work best. Thanks wave
Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Hesco Racing

That tank is quite small. I run a 12 oz tank in my TC and only get 7 minutes of running isnt that OS is a bit more thursty ?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:28 PM
JPriami

Waiting on your oday results is killing me
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: NitroSS

Waiting on your oday results is killing me

Hey NitroSS, i did testing today, and here's some pics, i did last minute change, an inline rudder that looks like FLINTSTONES, i tested 3 pipes, a .45 pipe, a .45-.65 pipe and a monster .90 pipe(shown in the pics.), to my surprised engine runs in all pipes....i did a short speed test and i got this 38.3 mph without any sweat and not even running 3/4 of the throttle, i have x447/3 props with .90 pipe set-up when i took the speed...was not able to test longer coz it went windy and water went rougher.

i'm not happy with my steering right now it tends to turn right, i think i really need to take away the water pick-up coz this boat didn't behave like this before.

Name:	Eb86695.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	749656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31348.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	749657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31737.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	749658  
Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting project. That OS looks awesome in there!

Ryan
Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 PM
JPriami

Many questions sorry:
Wave waker, Would it be possible to mount that motor a little further back so its closer to where the stock motor would have set?
You dont like your inline rudder setup? Or the stock setup?
What about a dual rudder setup? Does it seem that you now need to drop your strut more from where you used to run?
Have you upgraded your rudder servo to a high torque one yet? I like the HS 645MG myself.
And it looks like even with a front exhaust port you will still have to cut the canopy to have the exhaust come out the top now. So what do you think of the OPS .45 as an alternative to the OS .46?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 PM
wave waker

Many questions sorry:
Wave waker, Would it be possible to mount that motor a little further back so its closer to where the stock motor would have set?
You dont like your inline rudder setup? Or the stock setup?
What about a dual rudder setup? Does it seem that you now need to drop your strut more from where you used to run?
Have you upgraded your rudder servo to a high torque one yet? I like the HS 645MG myself.
And it looks like even with a front exhaust port you will still have to cut the canopy to have the exhaust come out the top now. So what do you think of the OPS .45 as an alternative to the OS .46?

no probs,... the motor end up quite more forward compare to the stock coz the flywheel will hit the hull floor if i keep movin' it back, i'm using a K&B flywheel and the diameter is way bigger than the dynamite and i angled the motor to align with the flexshaft...i'm not a big fun of dual rudder coz of the drag created slows the boat.

i used to have futaba 3305 for steering but i burned it, i'm using a standard servo right now until i got a high torqe again..HS 645MG is a good one.

i don't have experience with ops motor but i've been hearing it's very popular way back , is it a brand new one?

i took off the waterpickup in the sponson and the boat runs better in the straightway today, boat will go to planing after strut adjustment but it keep spinning out when turning, now i'm lookin for a bigger rudder also a prop strut with skeg these might help to prevent spinning...i'l keep the inline set-up.

here's the 2 .45-.65 pipes i'm goin to use, i can fit these like a stock than the .90 pipe there's no way i can fit it.

not to be bias, i'm happy with .46 motor coz i have the power/speed very obvious compare to stock,i might have stability problem on high speed but it's all right, the only worry of mine with .21 motor is there might be no big difference or it might be slower than the stock.

more testing to go,,update us also with ur tc31.

Name:	Vt57938.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	750479  
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
JPriami

Good to hear you’re liking the new .46. I have been looking all weekend and weighing out what to do for mine. I decided the .21 isn’t the way to go. I looked at many ones even a rossi piranha. I figure a .45 and up would be better. Besides torque means a lot in a boat. I think I am going to either upgrade the TC31 or just buy a new boat lol. If I upgrade its going to cost much and what I spend I could put towards a new boat so I’m torn now. But if I upgrade I think I am going to order an OPS .45 or .67 from aeromarine. I’m leaning towards the .67 with the 4.x HP at 23,000 the .45 is 2.6HP @ 23,000 but it comes with a pipe too. So then I could mod the boat for slightly under 400 dollars either way.

On your turning issue. I am not an expert & I know you don’t like dual rudders. But I think it may help your turning issue if you get that. Or maybe try turn fins? I know you’re trying to loose drag etc. But the benefits may out weigh the losses there. The Blackjack 55 has dual rudders also I noticed.

Or maybe your boat would turn better if the strut was deeper in the water?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:29 PM
JPriami

This is how low I got my strut to go down with a little modding. After I did that the boat picked up speed too.

Name:	Ge94354.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	750555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88430.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	750556  
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
brc51

Sorry to inturrupt and im new to the boat forum but would welcomei nfo and mods and any encountered problems with the tc and fixes to help my my tc be reliable and stable on setting it up as such. Since mine is new and hasnt seen water as of yet i wont be pulling any power swaps till i can see what boat does. Its nt my only boat but my newest boat and ive not been with boats for long. I have a prather lap cat III and a dumas hot shot sprint with kb engines on them,but i always try to get advise from owners and people that run them so i do not look like a fool at the lake, any tips would be apreciated
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: brc51

Sorry to inturrupt and im new to the boat forum but would welcomei nfo and mods and any encountered problems with the tc and fixes to help my my tc be reliable and stable on setting it up as such. Since mine is new and hasnt seen water as of yet i wont be pulling any power swaps till i can see what boat does. Its nt my only boat but my newest boat and ive not been with boats for long. I have a prather lap cat III and a dumas hot shot sprint with kb engines on them,but i always try to get advise from owners and people that run them so i do not look like a fool at the lake, any tips would be apreciated

not a problem, welcome new owner of TC31[sm=bananahead.gif].. if ur aware there's a very informative thread goin about tc31, just try to search it.

i would say,
1. tear down the hardware and engine then as u put it back loctite all the bolts n' nuts, check inside the engine for any metal debris left.
2. lubricate shaft, check the alignment to the engine, u might shim it to align.
3. JB weld the pressure fitting in the header
4. if u have a better radio replace the stock one.
5. use floatation, floatation
6. the coupling between the header and the pipe is a joke, better have an extra.
7. careful with nitro spill to the hull, paint is not resistant.
8. reset the HSN and LSN most of the time factory setting is way off..if engine keeps flooding lean the LSN by 1/4 turn

seems like ur ready to break-in. happy boating
Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 PM
wave waker

This is how low I got my strut to go down with a little modding. After I did that the boat picked up speed too.

Hey how's goin with ur boat,,boat might not go planing if the strut is too low, so i based my strut height on how the boat's ride and prop size, the bigger the prop the higher it goes..i been hearing that .21 rossi piranha is a good engine, goin to .67 is quite to big, this size of engine is gulping nitro not sipping.. honestly, with ur nice lookin boat i'll keep a stock motor on it, i don't have against with dynamite .32 at all,, since ur using the stock rudder u can improve the turning performance by trimming the leading edge until it align to the rudder post, in that way, the pivot is in the leading edge and not in the center which causes the spinning-out or hooking in turns.

i'm workin' on tuned pipe fitting, i'll decided to use the smaller pipe to make it look stock, by the way, i ordered aquacraft V24 rudder and in the process of ordering the strut with skeg, hope these things will help boat stability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.