Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

super fast boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

super fast boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM
odin5738

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super fast boat

I'm looking for a super fast nito or gas boat. Does anyone have any suggetions for one (price $800.00 to 1000.00)?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
jay863fl

Default RE: super fast boat

Im fairly new myself, but Ill go ahead and get the required questions out of the way.....How big is the pond you will be running on? How choppy is it usually? Do you care for any particular hull style or are you looking for the flat out fastest boat you can get in that price range? What is super fast to you ? I have a MV hydro, but as its a smaller boat and a hydro I cant run it in very choppy conditions that a large deep vee gas powered hull could run in.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM
bray 1

jay863fl is right if u want to run some boat on choppy water get a deep V boat but if u want to run it on glassey water get a cattameran
Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
MOVMX Racer

Well, Vee and cat hulls aren't your only option. The world speed record for an rc boat (140mph) is held by an outrigger hydro. You need to look at how big you want it to be, and approximately how fast you wan't it to go. then you can get more help on what to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsO0Jy9Uics
Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

In addition to the questions about pond and boat styles, it's important to know your experience level. Boats come in a variety of styles and complexity. If you're new, it's good to choose one that's not going to give you lots of trouble setting up. As you get experience, or if you have experienced help locally, things get easier.

In addition, your driving experience is also important. If you have little boating, or other R/C experience, a good starting boat is something in the 20-40 mph range. Boats in this speed range give you time to react to what's happening. This includes not just turning, but paying attention to the way the boat is riding, and perhaps make throttle changes to correct it. Moving above somewhere around 40 gives you less time to react. It also increases the risk of damage to the boat if you accidentally hit something. As you move up the speed ranges, everything becomes that much more of a challenge.

So, what's my message? Walk before you run. If you think your end goal is very fast hydroplanes, such as outriggers, choose a hydro style that's not so fast, or difficult to get running, first. Us this as a platform to start gaining experience in boat setup and driving. Once you've got a handle on that, move to a faster style.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM
jelly bean

i dont know a whole lot but to have a fast boat you've gotta have the experience to set one up. i dont think there is that fast of a rtr boat so you would have to have it built or know how to build it yourself .if i am wrong someone please correct me.

hope this helps
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
gooycheese

In regards to the 140mph that was done by a electric rigger, nitro riggers record is about 126mph. There aren't very many people breaking the 100mph barrier. Like has been said you wont find a RTR boat that will be much faster than 40-45mph, if you want faster than that you will have to make your own boat (buy/make a hull and put all the components you want in the boat). I would guess just about any .21 rigger will go over 50mph. Alot of good Sport 20 boats will do over 50mph. 40 Monos set up correctly will do 50mph+. As the engine get bigger the boats will slowly go faster, but to a point then setup become very critical. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Paul
Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
odin5738

I've been running a nitro v and it's too slow. The pond I run in is pretty good size about 600 yards across and glassy. I would like to get a boat that runs 40+ and either a cat or a deep v. Is there one out there that is still small 3 to 4 ft. and still reach 40+?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: odin5738

I've been running a nitro v and it's too slow. The pond I run in is pretty good size about 600 yards across and glassy. I would like to get a boat that runs 40+ and either a cat or a deep v. Is there one out there that is still small 3 to 4 ft. and still reach 40+?
It'll be easier to get a cat to that range. The Aeromarine 21/45 Sprintcat, 29" Popeyes, or the Mean Machine hull (which is supposed to have the same bottom design as the Sprintcat) should get into the 40 mph range with a good .21 or an ok .45 engine. They would both be in your bugeted range of under $800, depending on your engine choice.

For a bit more money, you could step up to the 40/80 Sprintcat or Team Believer with a .45 or .67.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Mean Machine hull doesn't seem to be listed at the Aeromarine site, just the RTR version. Go to [link=http://www.funrcboats.com]Fun R/C Boats[/link] to see it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM
rageman

Are the details of this 140mph run including pictures of the rigger and setup hopefully available on a web site anywhere?

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

In regards to the 140mph that was done by a electric rigger, nitro riggers record is about 126mph. There aren't very many people breaking the 100mph barrier. Like has been said you wont find a RTR boat that will be much faster than 40-45mph, if you want faster than that you will have to make your own boat (buy/make a hull and put all the components you want in the boat). I would guess just about any .21 rigger will go over 50mph. Alot of good Sport 20 boats will do over 50mph. 40 Monos set up correctly will do 50mph+. As the engine get bigger the boats will slowly go faster, but to a point then setup become very critical. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Paul
Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jelly bean

i dont know a whole lot but to have a fast boat you've gotta have the experience to set one up. i dont think there is that fast of a rtr boat so you would have to have it built or know how to build it yourself .if i am wrong someone please correct me.

hope this helps
Sure there is.. Go to CMDi and get ready to put out the $$$$$$... About $2K you'll get a rigger that will do close to, if not above, 100 mph.. Oh, sorry, it won't be RTR, you'll still have to install a radio system..
Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
rcBPman04

If you are not use to the set up of a hydro or rigger they can be tricky, as with all boats but still the speed and handeling of the V's are great because you have more options of where you can run it. My sugestion would be Speedmaster. rossiosales.com

The Speedmaster hull 21 and Microburst 21 can do over 50mph and you are looking at 800 to 1000 depending on motor. But Speedmaster sells all the hardware for each boat and gives you a great idea on where to mount everything up. The Microburst i have with my friends set up was clocked at 53 and my fastest pass with the Speedmaster was 52. There is alot of work that goes into tuning the hull the motor and the pipe. The strut hight and angle and props change as well.

But if you want to try to go as fast as possible i would sugest a 3 channel radio with a remote mixture controle...OS or CMDI ...This means that you can turn the boat while its runningat full tilt like you are sopost to do while you listen to the motor with the load on the prop.

my 2cents
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM
saleens7

ORIGINAL: rageman

Are the details of this 140mph run including pictures of the rigger and setup hopefully available on a web site anywhere?

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Paul
you could go over to the rum runners forum and ask Joreg (JfromJAGs)....but as said in the link below, most of the stuff they used is a secret....the link does say they used a hand selected (probably modified in some way by them or lehner) lehner 2250/8, a Shulze future 170 amp esc, and 32 Hopf hand picked gp3300 cells....this stuff was used in the rigger that did 120mph in 2003....

but as said in the link below, most of the stuff in it is a secret

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/video-pages/record.php

Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
rageman

Thanks Saleens7 for the web site on the 120mph electric run.

Is there a similar post some where on a Nitro/gas run at that kind of speed?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
odin5738

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

It'll be easier to get a cat to that range. The Aeromarine 21/45 Sprintcat, 29" Popeyes, or the Mean Machine hull (which is supposed to have the same bottom design as the Sprintcat) should get into the 40 mph range with a good .21 or an ok .45 engine. They would both be in your bugeted range of under $800, depending on your engine choice.

For a bit more money, you could step up to the 40/80 Sprintcat or Team Believer with a .45 or .67.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Mean Machine hull doesn't seem to be listed at the Aeromarine site, just the RTR version. Go to [link=http://www.funrcboats.com]Fun R/C Boats[/link] to see it.
Is there any RTR baots that can reach the 40 to 50 mph. and still around $800.00 to $1000.00?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Is there any RTR baots that can reach the 40 to 50 mph. and still around $800.00 to $1000.00?

Not really. But you could reach your goal building a boat (such like a cat mentioned above) and probably spend less then what you are willing to spend, and have that satifaction of setting that boat up that works so nicely [8D]

21/45 Sprintcat with a good 67 would get you even faster then you wanna go with the right setup
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to look into sport 40 hydros and or 1/8 scale hydros both are in the 50 to 70 mph which should raise the eyebrows of most onlookers. if you feel you need more speed than that you may not have seen a rc boat at 70 mph!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
motorhead91

what kind of mono hull would you have to build to hit 60
Old 07-11-2007, 11:17 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: f16man

You may want to look into sport 40 hydros and or 1/8 scale hydros both are in the 50 to 70 mph which should raise the eyebrows of most onlookers. if you feel you need more speed than that you may not have seen a rc boat at 70 mph!!!!!!!
Sport 40 and 1/8 scale are certainly fun, and will turn heads, but they're also significantly more fussy to setup than a mono or a cat.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: motorhead91

what kind of mono hull would you have to build to hit 60

one that will stay on the water. There are many mono's running in the 60's. Seaducer, Microburst, etc. for nitro... Seaducer, Aeromarine, Insane, RCBoatWorks,Microburst,etc.etc.

My gen 1 insane with a zen260 has been 58mph sofar, and a buddy of mines gen2 insane with a qd25 runs 67-68mph.

Getting the speed isnt so hard (but actually it is..finding the right prop and setup) and alot of the mono's on the market could probably get in the 60's, but stability at that speed some just dont have, even in the 50's.