Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Drive cable keeps backing out...help?**ADDED SOME PICTURES**

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Drive cable keeps backing out...help?**ADDED SOME PICTURES**

Old 07-27-2007, 02:44 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive cable keeps backing out...help?**ADDED SOME PICTURES**

I have a BJ 26 with upgraded strut brace and cable with 3/16" prop shaft. It all fits perfectly. The cable is .150 or 3mm, same as the factory setup. The problem is that the cable will back out of the collet as soon as I turn the engine on with no load. This first happend while on the water just a few inches from shore. The boat stopped and the engine screamed.

I solderd the end of the cable to try to give it more bulk, forced it in the collett, tighend it down all the way, turned it on and the cable slides out of the collett.

I cant phycally pull it out of the collett though. That the weird thing. I have yanked and yanked and it wont back out unless I turn on the motor.

Can someone point me in the rite direction? Is it as simple as just getting a new collett?

Thanks,
Rafael
Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Drive cable keeps backing out...help?

Sounds like the wrong size collet for the cable, or you're not tightening it enough.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the engine be out of alignment on those? If the stuffing tube is pointed at an angle in relation to the motor, I think it would want to twist the cable out of the collet. It should be a straight shot from the coupler to the front of the stuffing tube before the cable is allowed to flex. It could be also the stuffing tube should be bent to HOLD a straight line with the shaft. When a load is put on the shaft, it will twist an angle at the coupler due to running clearance between the tube and the shaft.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Dan S

Is it possible that he may have received a right hand lay cable instead of a left hand lay?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Believe It
Banned

im assuming you are using like a aeromarine collet? (3 piece)

If so... how far is the shaft going into the insert? Make sure you have at least 2-3 winds sticking completely through the insert that way it can get a good strong clamp on the shaft.

This is a 1/4" setup..but still same princable.

if you are forcing the shaft into the collet, the insert is still crimped and will actually tear up the outer winding of the shaft at the tip.

Ive always just cut my shafts, rounded out the end on the bench grinder and ran it. No problems with shafts breaking inside the collet thusfar

Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
losifiend

Thanks for the replys guys. Here are some pictures of my gear and close ups of the collett/cable.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

I pieced the gear toether from OffShoreElectrics. The drive cable is .150 just like the cable that came with the boat. ill have to check though to see if they are both wound in the same direction. That would make sense of why it would be comming loose.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Dan S

The cable is a left hand lay so that is correct, but looking at the picture I believe I see something wrong.

is your collet an Octura or similar, is it a three piece?

if it is a 3 piece, the insert is facing the wrong way, the part that pinches on the cable has to face in not out, that way when you tighten it down the insert is pushed in against the third piece convex surface (the part screwed in against your flywheel) this is gonna cinched the cable.

Like This
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38007.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	731092  
Old 07-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Sean Bowf

To add to what Dan said... And if it is two piece...it looks like the collet part of it is worn (prong looks crooked in one of the pics and the 2 pieces are all the way against each other, which would be a sign of the collet being worn out).

Sean
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
gooycheese

Default RE: Drive cable keeps backing out...help?**ADDED SOME PICTURES**

Like has been said it does look wrong, there should be some space between the two nuts. It looks like you have them completely tightened together so something is wrong either you got the barrel inside the coupler backward or the cable is too small. I have a .150 coupler that I can squeeze down to hold a .130 cable but I wouldn't run like that because I would be afraid it would fall out. Take your coupler apart and see how many pieces it is and see if it the way it can be assembled can be changed, also if it is three pieces the the piece that is backwards has probably been crimped a little too much for the cable to go thru (seeing as how you have had those nuts all the way tight) spread them out a little so cable will fit inside again.

Hope this Helps,

Paul
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 AM
gooycheese

Ok I check all my couplers and I have no 3 piece couplers at all.

I took a pic of a Proboat .187 coupler from my TC31 which is the bigger of the 2. The other coupler is an Octura 5mm thread .150 flex, this picture really doesn't show it but this coupler I was going to try and squeeze down to hold a .130 cable but chose to get the correct size ( yes it would grab the .130 cable)

Paul

p.s. If you notice with them screwed together there is space between the too nuts.

Name:	Pn35715.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	731226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22828.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	731227  
Old 07-28-2007, 09:43 AM
gooycheese

I haven't owned a 3 pieces coupler so I would have to see one before I would agree with Dan, I always thought the cone shaped tip of the outer nut compressed the barrel on the flex? So really look at what you got and make sure it is correct, I haven't had that happen to me yet "knock on wood".

Paul
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Dan S

Paul,

I own both the 2 piece and the 3 piece coupler,

the 2 piece is like yours the part that crimps on the cable faces the outside and you and Sean are right there has to be a few threads left when its nice and tight, if there isn't it needs to be replaced.

Trust me on the 3 piece coupler, the part that crimps on the cable (barrel) faces the inside the outer nut pushes on the barrel and the crimped side of the barrel gets compressed against the convex surface of the inner nut. Other brands may be different.

I would like to see a pic showing the 3 pieces of his collet or 2 if its a 2 piece.

Dan.

Name:	Vt56096.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	731301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98768.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	731302  
Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 AM
losifiend

The collet is only a two piece. You guys helped me figure out a few things here though that I hadnt thought of. Some one mentioned that the collet nuts shouldnt be so tight and thats true. I have a spare BJ26 that I got off of ebay that was missing the running gear but I never noticed that the collet was in the loose parts bag till last nite. Here are some pictures of the "new" collet on a spare piece of drive calbe. It as tight as it will go but the nuts arent touching(why does that sound funny?).

So, the collet is worn and mayby the drive cable too. I dont recall ever leaving it loose so that it would spin but vibration is our enemy, I guess. The drive cable is affixed to the prop shaft with red lock tite, per OffShoreElectrics. To change the drive wire out can I just heat it with a torch to break the bond to the prop shaft? Then could I just solder a new piece back on? Or would red lock tighting it back on be best?

I really appreciate you guys helping me fix something that was so simple to miss. Sometimes when you're new to things little details get by.

Thanks again!! I'll throw the new collet in and see what happens.

I ported the mighty Dynamite .15 the other day and it starts better than before, and blipping the throttle, it seems to have better response but I'm dying to see how better it is in the water. Especially with this bigger prop.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still wondering how it wore out, but looking at the first pictures the flex shaft starts to get pulled down right away after the collet. This could be the root problem for the wear and then the loosening. This allows the strands to "unscrew' itself from the collet.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Hesco Racing

Just remember one thing when you solder the end going into the collet you do not allow the collet to do its work and that is to crimp the flex in the cable. When you crimp the cable it wont slipp in the collet