Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Blackjack 26???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Blackjack 26???

Old 07-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackjack 26???

I am considering getting one, are they any good? I am gonna be running it in very rough water, (wake from real boats and chop 12"+) will this be the best design? How fast could I expect it to go on glass?

I have a little nitro experience from my duratrax warhead MT, how hard are marine engines compared to MTs? Look a little easier to work with because of no clutch/trans/diff...
Old 07-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Blackjack 26???

do a search on the BJ 26, its a nice boat but a lot seems to be having problems with it.

12" chops and other wake from full size boats is gonna be hard on that little BJ, I would go for much bigger.

Dan
Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM
gooycheese

I would think just about every hobby boat would have problems with 12" wakes/chop.

Paul
Old 07-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Dan S

Your right Paul,

Unless you go with a 94" Fountain.

Dan.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Mekong

LOL got a 299$ max budget, how water proof are these? like if it gets flipped will it get messed up? Will rough water screw it up?

Could the boat sink? like is there foam in it to save it if in the worst case it gets water inside?

Mostly I would like to jump wakes, catch some air... I have a skiboat to go retrieve the boat if it flips or stalls.

I tried searching blackjack and didnt get much, ill try BJ
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Sean Bowf

I wonder if a well sealed electric might be a better choice. I have seen electrics go under water, pop back up and take off again... I dont know if an electric SV27 is the answer, but my understanding is that they go 35+ MPH when set up right. So if it can handle the spills it will have from jumping off 12 inch wakes, it might be a better answer to your need.

As a side note, I really like the way the BJ looks. I would not mind having one...but eventually I would want to race it, and I don't think I would ever see a class for it.

Sean
Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
shcokwave36

i have a shockwave 36 and boat wake are pretty tough on them.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Mekong

well, what do you mean tough? is it gonna crack the hull, sink the boat, damage it? I have a MT and it doesnt seem the water will really screw up it up from jumps, which seem to be much more impact than wakes...

I am at the cross roads of:

#1 get the blackjack,

or

#2 get a traxxas villan EX and two IB4200

Both work out to be roughly the same price, more or less. I have a stampede and wheelie king crawler that would benefit from the new batts, but in some ways I would be happier in the end to hold out for lipo batts...

I guess the only thing holding me back from the BJ26 is: nitro, how careful do I have to be not to flood the thing, I plan on some wave jumping, but am willing to take it easy to not deal with batteries and charge times. That and the U-joint issue, cant be solved easily? Seems sold loctight and maintance can keep that thing together...

How fast can I expect the BJ26 to go?

Ohh and thanks.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Dan S

Those boats were design to enjoy driving around and with small mods to do some racing.

Not sure I know what an MT is but if its an RC truck than its not the same thing as a boat. True that every RC boat out there will encounter choppy water in there everyday use and racing, but the constant jumping of one footer or more wakes will damage the hull. Not only that, the constant over revving of the engine and prop outside the water, it will cause frequent and longer water starvation to the engine due to the air time (hang time), running the chances to go through con rods, piston and sleeves, fles cable, or steerable drive shaft only to name a few.

When the boat gets under and motor ingests water it will stop, you must than drain the water out of engine, add after run oil or tranny oil or wd40, flush it and ensure no water left, inspect plug, restart.

Dan
Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Dan S
When the boat gets under and motor ingests water it will stop, you must than drain the water out of engine, add after run oil or tranny oil or wd40, flush it and ensure no water left,
Actually, if you're going to run it again, rather than putting it away for the day, all you need to do is remove and check the plug, drain the water, spin the engine a few times, reinstall the plug, and start it again. The heat from running the engine will take care of any small water drops that might still be inside the engine.

Either way, having to do this frequently due the 12" or more chop is going to get old really fast. I've run my boats on open lakes in the past. The best choice is to do it when the chop is down, such as early in the morning, or to find a place where there is little chop, such as in a secluded cove.

Edit: And one more thought, while radio boxes work well, many of them are not perfect. After sitting upside down in the water a few times, there's a good probability that the box will have at least a little water inside.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Resident Dawg

My .02 cents on the Bj 26 Nitro. I had one and ran the HELL out of it. As far a toughness and surviving flips and rollovers. BALLOON THE RECIEVER And hit it iwth a Zip tie. I did that to mine, and would flip it for fun of rough days for good crash footage. I never had a problem after a flip. I would just pull the glow plug, and hit the engine with the started to get all the water out, put the glow plug back in and she woudl ready for another round.

My BJ never sat up side down for more than 5 min...after that, water will find a way in. Some people had problems with that out drive snapping U-joints.....after a day of running I would pull the shaft Lube it and PACK GREESE in to the U-Joint. it seemed to help, I very rarly snapped drive shafts or U-joints. One MUST DO with this set up....after a day of flips and water intrusion, Un wrap the reciever, and open the radio box to let ALL the water dry out.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Mekong

Great thanks, how fast can I expect out of the BJ and how fast out of the thundercat?