Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Blackjack 26

Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackjack 26

Well i am looking to get a boat. And i wanted to get the sv27, but due to having rough water on the lake i run at i decided to go with the blackjack 26(nitro.) I was wondering what are the problems in running it bone stock(no prop upgrade nothing.) Will the u-joints break? And if i do upgrade to the twisted racing strut kit are there any other problems involved with the boat after the upgrade? I am asking because i only have around 45 bucks to spend on upgrades, and i need all my stuff by the beginning of September(going camping next to a large lake) and was wondering if the stock hardware would last me for 3 days of running? If i get the twisted racing kit, do i really need those turn fins? Is the prop itself break away? if not then why the breakaway fins?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Blackjack 26

Yes! be especting the joints to break!![X(] Good luck on getting your part from TLR. Theres sombody on this nitro form got his part threw sombody else. Oh that.15?! get ready for the conecting rod to break on you to[:@] unless proboat starting to put the new .18's in the blackjack like they did with the formula 1/12 hydros?[&:] The SV27 will handle rough waters!! It's a V.The V hulls and cat are made for rough water conditions.Hydro's need calm/flat water to run on. Get the SV 27 it's faster then the black jack!! and it has the.18 that is way better then the.15 junk dynamite!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Dan S

Custom,

The props are not breakaway, since the majority of RTR comes with a plastic prop if you were to hit something most of the time the prop will break.

yes you still need the turn fin, and

if the turn fins were not breakaway they would get ripped right out of the hull, it is easier and less work to replace a broken U-joint or broken flex cable than try to repair a new hull.

Dan.

oh!
and I would go with an SV27 as my first choice.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
cwaterhunter

i have a SV 27,, it is a good boat and awsome motor,, a lil tricky till its broken in...all boats have there qurks.. from what i have read here the BJ has many...the SV a few,,there is no "PERFECT" boat, also stay away from steerable out drives,, and j joints,, i know i also have a nitro vee,, i am in the process of putting a 2.5 in a NV but using the suver vee drive setup,,cable and the rutter.. hey it keeps me off the streets lol....
Old 08-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

the thing is i will be running in choppy water. Such as maybe 6" wakes to less then that. I just dont want to go retrieving a boat every few laps around the lake. I also want to run it in the ocean and the river. By breakaway prop i mean rudder(strut.) Since the trut doesnt break off, why do you need the turn fins to break off?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
cwaterhunter

iam in newport RI a island... i would never run my boats in salt water 6 inch wakes are accualy big,, i have seen a 55 inch gas VEE have some problem in them at speed
Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

well i will be running my boats in water that has lots of wakes. And the river also has wakes. I really dont know what to get. After reading the SUpervee VS Blackjack bl lots of people said blackjack would be wayyy better in the rougher water then the sv27. Heres wat the water thats going to be like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4HYe4FP-2o
Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Dan S

ok,
Rudder and strut are two different items unless its a steerable drive like the BJ26 which you can't make it a breakaway.

Not all RTR's use breakaway rudders only a few, the First Version of the Vegas did not have a breakaway rudder the second version however does.

it is very simple to modify.

the BJ 26 will not handle much more than that, 6" or less, I would run the SV27 instead.

as for salt water ensure you rinse and run fresh water after.

Dan.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
cwaterhunter

in that vid that wasent really rough water,,,
Old 08-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6218485/tm.htm why i wanted to get the blackjack instead.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM
cwaterhunter

http://rcuvideos.com/item/X5TBQY7TJCGZ4RRX this is me and my SV in a small pond when breaking it inn you can see the wakes i was going over,,and btw it GPS at 25.8.. top speed,, slow for the boat, but was breaking it in..
Old 08-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Dan S

Custom,
if you want a Cat, I would go with the ThunderCat 31 instead, its 5 inches longer, 3 inches wider, has a bigger motor, the big plus is it has a much better drive system (prop and steering are separate) than the BJ and you will have more fun in the choppy water.

with the BJ you will end up breaking the U-joints and replacing the whole drive system.

Yes it is $80 more than the BJ, but you will end up spending more than that to upgrade your drive system, turn fin and prop.

Dan.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

if my friend did not order the blackjack i will talk to him about getting a thunder cat 31 instead for me. I just don't know if he will agree to the 80 extra bucks, since we are doing a trade for a laptop of his+something else(boat) for my xbox 360. And that something else is 300 dollars max so we though fo either a blackjack or supervee and a gallon of fuel.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
cwaterhunter

like dan said if you really want a cat the tc31 is a better one.. but also the SV 27 is a good boat as well,,,if you got the BJ you would be spending more than the differance in drive line repairs and up grades
Old 08-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

well ill try to get the thundercat.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

well, we made a deal for a thundercat 31 so i can't wait!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Dan S

This is a much better choice than the BJ, the SV27 is also very good and fun to drive and a different hull type.

Have fun.

Dan.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

yea, i had to add some for the trade, but as you said its bigger, more powerfull, and a catamaran. Should be getting it friday-ish.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
pissedoffpete

I would have got the Thundercat but I liked the look of the BJ 26 better. The bigger motor would have been well worth the price difference. Oh well, finally got it tuned. Runs fast enough for me. For now! My first boat.