Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Removing Recoil Starter from Aquacraft Super Vee27?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Removing Recoil Starter from Aquacraft Super Vee27?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
ka350kaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Recoil Starter from Aquacraft Super Vee27?

I have an Aquacraft SuperVee Nitro 27. I think I am having problems with the recoil starter. Just got the boat and ran it three tankfuls this afternoon. Took a while to first get it started, but then it ran great. Went to run in the evening and had problems. The engine would start and then stop really abrubtly a few seconds later. Adjusted the needle both wasys and still had the same problem. WHen I continued to try and start it, the engine would catch and start running when I pulled the cord, but as soon as I released it, it would stop. It almost felt like the recoil starter would stop the engine. I could almost feel it when I was releasing the cord. Is this possible? So I was planning on getting rid of the recoil starter and just using the belt starter method. Can I just remove the recoil starter altogether when I go to the belt drive starter? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Sean Bowf

Default RE: Removing Recoil Starter from Aquacraft Super Vee27?

I am curious to see the answers you get...

I had one of the aquacraft .18 pullstart's one way bearing lock up on me. When I let go of the handle after pulling it, the engine would turn over the other direction as the cord was pulled back in. Is this what you are experiencing?? If it is new, and under warrantee, aquacraft (tower) should send you a replacement from the warrantee.

I know a guy that removed his pullstart from an aquacraft .18 in a MV. Later he found he had a lot of oil in his boat after running. Personally, I did not think removing the pullstart would cause any problems...but he was told that removing the pullstart, took pressure off the shaft sticking out of the engine, allowing oil to leak past the bushing in the back plate. No idea if all this was true or not...

Sean
Old 08-12-2007, 09:34 PM
RTRJESUS
Banned

I know a guy that removed his pullstart from an aquacraft .18 in a MV. Later he found he had a lot of oil in his boat after running. Personally, I did not think removing the pullstart would cause any problems...but he was told that removing the pullstart, took pressure of the shaft sticking out of the motor, allowing oil to leak past the bushing in the back plate. No idea if all this was true or not...
Oil will come from the engine, because theres now a hole in it. Exspecially if the bearing comes off. The one bad thing about a pull starter is, it leaves places for the block to leak, and with a leaking block, you will have power loss.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Dan S

Where running a CVR-M with the pull start removed without problems, there isn't any holes there, when you remove the pull start all you have is the pto sticking out where the one way bearing was sitting.

Dan.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is true that the pto shaft is all that is left but the big problem is that it does not have a seal of any kind on it, and we all know about vacume leaks on a 2 stroke crankcase don't WE. If you are going to mod to belt start you will need to mod the rear plate to a closed OS and cut off the drive tang extension at the con rod pin, this will give you a sealed crankcase and run much better because you wont be sucking air in all the wrong places. Make sure the new rear fits properly as that is what keeps the con rod from walking off the shaft.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 AM
f16man

O ya the good part is OS makes the aquacraft engine so there should not be any issue with the fit of the new rear plate tower has them in stock part # lxgmn0 or os#21807100.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Dan S

f16man,
I know what your saying, and last thing I want to do is argue. All I am saying is we have a CVR-M that as been running for 2 season with the pull start removed and we have not had any issue of oil leaking or loss of crankcase pressure, could we say that we are an exception to the rule???

I think we can.

Dan.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 AM
f16man

Okie dokie then.