Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Any boat Racing in North Carolina??

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Any boat Racing in North Carolina??

Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any boat Racing in North Carolina??

Hey guys,

A couple of buds and I have just gotten interested in racing boats and we were wondering if there was any boat racing events in N.C. or close by??

Thanks,
Phil
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Any boat Racing in North Carolina??

There should be plenty of racing action in North Carolina. It's an IMPBA district and I think that it's District 12. Check the IMPBA website, www.impba.net for a race schedule.
You'll probably run into a few of our members at one or more of them plus you have some very good racers in your area.
Go to a race, watch, learn and talk to the people. Look for piper_chuck, John Finch and Don Ferrette, all good guys.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Oh Yeah!!

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]

Thanks Ron!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

North Carolina? Did someone say North Carolina?

Yup, there most definitely is racing in NC, and the surrounding states. There's a club that formed in Wilmington last year. I haven't heard anything from them since they formed the club, but I know they have a pond. I'll have to dig up the contact info. Then there's the club I'm in, the Piedmont Triad Prop Twisters, which is based in Greensboro. Out of state, but not too far away, there are clubs in Chesapeake, VA, and Charleston, SC.

The next district 12 race will be Aug 25-26 at the Chesapeake club. I've been to this race several times, great race, great site, great people. We will have a club race in Greensboro in mid-Sept. The Charleston club will have a district 13 race in early Oct. They are racing at a new site now that's supposed to be excellent. I've been to two of their races, definitely worth the trip.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh Yeah!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Thanks Chuck!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 AM
piper_chuck

You're quite welcome.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Hey Chuck,

My wife and I might be able to make the mid Sept. race. What's the exact date??
Also, do you guys have a stock Miss Vegas class?? Now when I say stock, I'm talking plastic prop and stock hardware, etc. right out of the box.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM
piper_chuck

That'd be cool. Club web site ius here: http://geocities.com/ptproptwisters/ . The next race is Sept 16. We race whatever shows up. The people with Vegas hydros usually have replaced at least the prop. The plastic one on my SV27 nitro lasted about 4 runs before it shed a blade. I don't know how long the Vegas ones last, I removed it before I ever ran it.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh Yeah!!

O.K.........

So how do you class the MV's for racing?? I'm trying to understand the limits of mods you can do to the stock MV's, before they become Modified MV's.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 PM
speed8
My Feedback: (7)

phil think you and wendy would like to go
Old 08-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Yeah Man!!!!!......

You and Nick "most definitely" need to go!!!!!!! I believe piper chuck and a few others want to give you guys some "Rooster tail"!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
speed8
My Feedback: (7)

Too bad can't go . Fly for TOTs @ RDRC thats on the 16 maybe the next one
Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Ah, Man...it is........ Choices...Choices.....Choices..........?????????:e ek:

Might be able to do both??
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

I will be at the fly for tots from the 14th till the 16th. So I will have to pass. My boat will always be second to my planes.. LOL
Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Oh Yeah!!

O.K.........

So how do you class the MV's for racing?? I'm trying to understand the limits of mods you can do to the stock MV's, before they become Modified MV's.
There are a bunch of things that can be done to the stock Vegas and keep it stock. The most significant distinction is the engine. If you mod the original, or change to a different engine, it's no longer stock. Here's a longer description of stock:

Propulsion and Control Systems
1. Engine: The engine must remain STOCK. No internal or external modifications are allowed beyond replacement of stripped or worn bolts with non OEM pieces. If the engine is replaced it must be of the same model as was included by the manufacturer. If the original engine is no longer available, a replacement engine of a similar size and price will then be allowed. If the engine was shipped with a head shim, this can be removed.
To promote competition, clubs can optionally permit boats that originally came with a smaller displacement engine to be upgraded with a stock engine for the boats they are competing with.
2. Exhaust: Exhaust system must remain in the stock condition as the boat was received in the RTR box. If equipped with a tuned pipe, length adjustments are allowed. Replacement of tuned pipe couplers with an alternate material is also allowed. Addition of extra cooling outside the header is permitted. Also permitted is the addition of extra muffling, to quiet the boat down, as long as the original exhaust remains in place.
3. Starting method: The engine will be started using the method provided by the manufacturer. If equipped with a flywheel that allows belt starting, a belt can be added and an electric starter used. In all cases, the original starting equipment, such as a pull starter, must remain on the engine and be fully functional.

Unless specifically noted in these rules, modification of the original boat, including replacement or alteration of parts, is not permitted. Exceptions are listed below:
1. Propellers: Replacement of the original propeller is permitted.
2. Starting method: In cases where alternative starting methods were part of the stock boat, such as a grooved flywheel on a pull start engine, the optional starting method is permitted.
3. Radio system: The entire radio system including transmitter, receiver, servos, battery, etc, can be replaced. The original radio box can be replaced with one of a similar size and it must remain in the original location.
4. Riding surfaces: The riding surfaces of the boat, the parts that contact the water, may be sanded to obtain a true surface and squaring of rounded surfaces. Materials may not be added which change the original shape of the running surfaces.
5. Turn fin, strut, and rudder: Modification or replacement of the original turn fin is allowed. Slots in the strut can be lengthened to allow additional up and down movement. These parts can also be replaced with add-on parts from the original manufacturer that are specifically designed for that model.
6. Engine mounts: To assist with noise abatement, solid engine mounts may be converted to rubber mount via modification or replacement.
7. To foster variety, removal, addition, or replacement of cosmetic parts, such as drivers, decals, paint, etc is permitted. Modification of cowls to improve internal cooling is allowed. Rear wings, such as are included with scale appearing hydroplanes, must remain in place.
8. Alternate non-performance enhancing maintenance parts including fuel lines, flex shafts, and shaft collets, can be used.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:53 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: baxternick

I will be at the fly for tots from the 14th till the 16th. So I will have to pass. My boat will always be second to my planes.. LOL
It's a pity you can't leave early, if you're already in the RDRC area, you're already half way to the pond.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Oh Yeah!!

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: baxternick

It's a pity you can't leave early, if you're already in the RDRC area, you're already half way to the pond.

Yeah, that's the way my wife and I are thinking too!!

"Double the Fun"

Thanks again Chuck!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
piper_chuck

Guys, if you want to be added to the club email list, please PM me your names and email ids.

Thanks, Chuck

PS. The term Private Message means just that, PRIVATE! Hopefully a certain someone will remember that in the future.