Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!) >

The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

ORIGINAL: zippymustang610

ok i need everyones input i got the vm1 strut the problem is when mounted flush with the transom it basically tourches the copper pipe the flex drive runs through so i have thought about it and i basically have 3 options a, i trim down the pipe B, i trim down the strut or c i but a rather large spacer between the strut and transom... i am also gonna have trouble wiht the rudder system because it seems im going to either have to make a nasty linkage out of piano wire with around 5 bends in it to hook up to the stock holes for the radio box and hull which im assuming is gonna hurt the speed and handling of the servor and rudder system, unless i go with a killer high tourque servo that might do the trick for slidding the bend through gromets. if anyone has any suggestions or im missing somehting let me know please!
Trim down the tube. I used a dremal and a cut of wheel. Its ok if you cut a bit more than whats needed. The ball link end is threaded in all the way. I unthreaded it, put some glue in it and threaded it a few turns. This made it longer and allowed me to put an offset in it. Use two pairs of needle nose pliers so that you get tight bends when you offset it.

Hope that helps
Old 09-14-2007, 03:06 PM

thanks losi im gonan try a couple of things and see what works best im gonna start drilling very soon ill post pics when im done
Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 PM

wHICH RUDDER DID YOU BUY i SEE THIER RUDDERS BUT DONT KNOW WHICH ONE WILL WORK? oF SHORE ELEC. HAS MANY.? ALSO MY BJ26 BOTTOM IS STARTING TO CRACK. i THINK ILL EPOXY IT FROM BOTTOM, SAND AND PAINT? bY THE WAY I INSTALLED TISTED LIQUID SKADER SYSTEM AND 535 PROP AND IS DOES NOT WORK WELL, STOCK ONE WORKED BETTER. THANKS FOR IN FORMATION. TOM
Old 09-15-2007, 04:48 PM

i bought the vm-1 mini rudder from speedmaster its going to be interesting to install it and see how it performs i havent started drilling or anything yet so ill let you know before you go out and buy im also gonna put an .18 tz car motor in it and we will see how that goes im hoping it will work well be we will have to see ill keep you all informed i should hopfully finish or at least be close by the end of today
Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Dose anyone out thier know which fuel to use in .15 backjack26 ? *** says to use 40% nitro and thier skater and prop will work on my boat . 20 % sure does not run well ?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 PM

There has been alot of questons of what I used to upgrade my running gear. Here is what I used. It all came from OffShore.

You can see the part number to the prop strut in this picture. It came from OSE.

It is the 5th item down on this page.[link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=76[/link]

This is the link to the rudder that I used. I got the one with the 2" long bracket. [link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-mini-rud[/link]

This is the link to the prop shaft and the .150(3mm) cable that will work with the boat factory stuffing tube. [link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc150L-24c[/link]
You will need the smallest prop that will fit on the 3/16ths shaft you can find if you plan on keeping the Dynamite .15 or it will bog with and you will loose top end speed. I upgraded knowing that I was eather going to wildly port the .15 to get maximum power from it of going with the OS. 18. You can see what I went with and I'm not dissapointed one bit. The video I posted, I was only giving it about 1/3rd throttle. The boat is crazy at full throttle.

I do not reccomned this setup for the person looking to keep the factory motor. You will loose speed because it will not drive the bigger prop needed.

Hope this helps those looking for answers.

Rafael
Old 09-16-2007, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Look around and you can find a Hughey cable that has the .150" cable with a 3/16" stub shaft but stepped down for the 1/8" props or go with a strut set up for the 1/8" cables.
I was talking ot Gary Preusse on the phone about 3 weeks ago and he told me that Ed Hughey did some tests on .125" and .150" cables. you'd think that the larger cables would have more strength but in reality they only have 90% of the strength of the larger .150" cables. Larger is not better in this case but it's in the material strength where the weak spot is. Gary is switching all of his .150" cables back to the .125" now.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the pictures and info. You sure are right on the prop with .15 motor. I need to up grade to os18 . *** said I need more nitrol 30 to 40 %. and the .15 will handel prop Y535. How much was .18 motor? Im now in the process of epoxying my hull under motor, it started to crack like you said. Did you use fiber coth with your?Their isnt much room under motor. Hope to hear from you Thanks again Tom
Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tom woodward

Thanks for all the pictures and info. You sure are right on the prop with .15 motor. I need to up grade to os18 . *** said I need more nitrol 30 to 40 %. and the .15 will handel prop Y535. How much was .18 motor? Im now in the process of epoxying my hull under motor, it started to crack like you said. Did you use fiber coth with your?Their isnt much room under motor. Hope to hear from you Thanks again Tom
I got the OS from a member of the forum that was getting out of nitro boats. He had a new one issued to him by the manufacturer(under warrenty) so he sold it to me $150 shipped.[8D]

As far as the epoxy, I did the new one from the inside only. I used the two part epoxy that looks like a syringe and then when it comes out in two parts you mix it right inside the boat. I used the 5 minute kind. It worked well and is holding up great.

Pro Boat does not reccomend using more than 20% nitro fuel in the .15 but some people do use up to 40% for races. I hear the rods like to break though with that high of a nitro content. I used 30 after I mildly ported mine and noticed a verry small performance difference. if you have the money just get the OS. You wont regret it!!

And Stop listending to those people who you bought the Skeeter rudder system from.

Ron that is some good info. I tried like heck to find a .150 cable with a 1/8th shaft. No one makes one, as far as I found. That would be the ultimate upgrade for this boat! I just didnt want to rip out the brass tube and replace it with one that would accept that .125 stuffing tube and cable. After all this was a brand new hull. This just seemed like the most logical solution
Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 PM

How much was .18 motor?
Tom
The pullstart CVR is $110 at Tower. The Marine head is around $22. So you can buy the buggy engine, and put the marine head on it, for less than it would cost to buy the marine pullstart engine.

Sean
Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM

I'd found this up grade at This place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82092.gif
Views:	5
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	764543  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM

i saw that last night as well misshydro it looks pretty good if my own mod doesnt work i might have to call up aeromarine not a bad pric eon it eaither for everything that comes in the package
Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: misshydro

I'd found this up grade at This place.
Awwwww! They suck[:@]!! I called them 4 months ago and they told me they had nothing that would work for the BJ26[:'(]. Now they come out with this!!.......
J/K!

That looks like a good setup but the rudder looks to till have some plastic in there and I personally dont like the fact that its offset.

Thats about what I paid to piece mine together too. Oh well, I guess after I called they got bombarded with calls and they decided to make a good move. Big thumbs up to Aeromarine for supporting this awsome and typically overlooked little cat!

WOW! Just noticed that the kit comes with an auto bailer!!! Now I'm really mad[>:]..................
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM

I would think that an offset rudder would be faster. I don't like the fact the advertisement says "no drag" rudder...I don't think there really is such a thing. Anyhow...back to my original thought...rudders have a lot of drag in the water. So...say your boat is going 30 MPH, then wouldnt the water right behind the prop be going 45-50 MPH to get your boat to go 30?? So...wouldnt a rudder right behind the prop cause more drag than one that is offset?? I would think the inline setup would give better manuverability, but I would think the offset would give more speed... thoughts??

Sean
Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM

I belive that you might be rite Sean. But I like the fact that, to me, it seems like it handles better this way. I'm not trying to set any records so as long as the boat can stay on course at 35-40 mph I'm satisfied
Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 PM

What is a auto bailer?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM

It helps to bail any water that gets into your boat.It bails water wial your running your boat.when it stop in the water,like die on you,the autobailer also stops water from comming threw the bailer.I think it has like a ball bearing system???[&:]The water will go out but not back in.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: losifiend

I belive that you might be rite Sean. But I like the fact that, to me, it seems like it handles better this way. I'm not trying to set any records so as long as the boat can stay on course at 35-40 mph I'm satisfied
Yeah Rafael, I figure you probably got more power in that boat than it can handle.... 8-) You might need to throw an anchor off the back of it to keep it with the pointy end forward and the wet side down..

Sean
Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Did you ever test your new off set rudder system? I installed one from aero marine and waiting for good weather to try it. Alo did you remove your turn fins?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 PM

It works good but I need to lower the prop strut a little but more. I need to find the factory angle so I can put al the power to use. I did take off the fins and it jandles awsome! But I'm having propulsion problems at full throttle.

The boat is collecting dust now though since I have a 5B to play with, its been neglected. I want to get it back up and running but I have to prepare it for salt watter running now that we moved to San Diego.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, You say it doent handle well at full out Sounds like the turn need to be on? Did you get your rudder from Aero marine Thanks again Tom
Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, You say it doent handle well at full out Sounds like the turn need to be on? Did you get your rudder from Aero marine Thanks again Tom
No, I never said it did'nt handle well. My prop angle is not set up rite so at high full throttle the prop loads up too much for some reason, and bogs the motor. I need to get out on the water and play with the angle I just have'nt had the time to do so.

All the hardware came from FastElectrics.com. The Aeromarine kit came out like 2 months later.

The boat handles like its on rails but doesnt have the tendency to flip as easily like it did when the fins were on.

Let me know if you need more help.

Rafael
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks again for the reply, Im learning! I havent tried my new rudder system yet, waiting for good weather, Ill let you know. Tom
Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Installed Aero marine off set rudder system ,y535 and no turn fins . Ran it today in lake what a blast, realy hauls and handles great.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey y'all, Don't mean to hijack the thread,but I figgered to ask questions where they be best answered... working on my son's bare hull bj26, I'm using parts left over from another build and will be using an offset rudder,should the rudder be located directly in-between the strut shaft and the inner (right) sponson,or closer towards the strut?, rudder depth is currently about 3",should i trim it down to 2" (below the sponson), the engine bay has been carbon fibre'd on top of a sheet of 3/16 ply,will be using a KnB .21,(it's all i have layin around)...thanks for any help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.