Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

IDEA!!!! Seems Foolproof :)

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

IDEA!!!! Seems Foolproof :)

Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Woodmandan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IDEA!!!! Seems Foolproof :)

Hey
i bought an STS D28M engine and well The shaft is an SG . So my idea is to buy a motor coupler for a small block engine, then drill it out so it is smooth and put it on the end of the engine so it slides on like an electric motor. I think if i did this i would not have to cut off the shaft. Also if this does not work, i have another idea. Instead of cutting of the shaft right at the threads, why dont i have a little of no threaded shaft sticking out, so i can get the coupler on thier tight, but have almost all of the coupler over the engine, and its not hanging way out with only half of it being used. This also might work. Any thoughts on this?
Dan
Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: IDEA!!!! Seems Foolproof :)

Foolproof? Not really. The problem comes up when you can't tighten the collet against the flywheel.
What is really needed is a thinner flywheel so that you can get as many threads as possible on the collet.
I've seen what can happen when there isn't enough threads to grab to as after a buddy lost his prop and cable I loaned him my extra. That is at the bottom of the same lake now.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM
BB Modss

Yea i have to agree... The way i have done it on my big block buggy/truck motors withy a SG crank is this,buy a OS flywheel off there 21 marine engine, take the conical washer that centers the flywheel on the crank, over to the lath, Cut .080 off the back side (thick part of the conical washer that faces the front bearing) After thats done i take a 1/4-24 SS nut and depending on the thickness they sometimes need to be cut down or even in half to get the right thickness,mine are about .200 thick, i use Red locktight on the nut and torque it down onto the shaft, The I take the motor over to the mill/drill for some drilling, I like to cut about .010 extra into the center screw hole to clean up the factor drill/tap, then i tap the hole again with the same size tap,but i use a bottoming tap and cut thread all the way down,next i take a good steel cap head screw and torque it down (add locktight to the screw) then i cut the end off and clean it all up,now i can use a 3/16 cable collet with a 5mm ID and setscrews off a electric motor,its quite nice,the collet slides down inside the flywheels overhang,at this point iv allready cut the 2 slots in the flywheel to tighten the setscrews down.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Woodmandan2

That sounds like a good idea but im still a little confuzed so could you post some pics???
Dan
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 PM
misshydro

I'd took the aquacraft.18 one that I got off of BBmodSS,as it looked he tryed to cut it??[&:]maybe to fit it into the sportwerks.26 motor that he has?[&:] I'd filed it and filed two washers down to fit inside that flywheel to space it better/away from the motor.Now it's on my thundertigerpro.21. Hay what the HP and max RPMs on that motor?[&:]
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
BB Modss

Ill post some pics tomorrow of the engine im working on now,its going in a heavy modified SV27 nitro.

Misshydro, thats odd because i dont remember ever pulling the flywheel off that motor.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 PM
misshydro

You did. You or your bother,you said try to cut to fit that on a different motor.I'd use the dynamite.15 flywheel on that vegas motor.[8D] I dont care it worked out great in the long run anyway!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:48 AM
ozbryan

I had to use a smaller fly wheel on my RB car motor for my A mono.

See pic not very clear but you will get the idea...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79966.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	747707