Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

15% ? 40% nitro

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

15% ? 40% nitro

Old 08-24-2007, 11:53 AM
towchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15% ? 40% nitro

I just bought a used boat witha a 67 CMB. The only fuel I have handy is 15% nitro (for my planes) I have not been able to start the engine , pops at times but will not start. I was hopeing I could at least check the engine out on 15% HELP
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM
webdr

Default RE: 15% ? 40% nitro

Im pretty sure that engine would start on 15% but be advised, a swarm of replies should be inbound momentarily about using airplane fuel in boats....its a no-no
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Why not use airplane fuel? My Sig fuel is 20% oil and the Powermaster fuel that I use is 18% oil? Is there too much oil or not enough?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
misshydro

Yes!! you can use heli or plane fuels!! most have the 16-18%oil!!! The 15% is to low of nitro in any boat motors!!! [:'(]You need 20% or higher nitro!!! Most of us are running over 30% nitro fuels in our boats!! The hobby shops around here dont have boat fuels and there plane fuels are to low of nitro for my boats!![:@] I've been running Traxxas car fuels!![8D]But one thing!![X(] I have to add 3oz of castor oil to bump up the low oil% up to 18%![8D] I use SIG pure AA castor oil for blending model aircraft fuels![8D]! Works great for me!!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
topfuel4430

wow... smilie overload.

~James
Old 08-24-2007, 04:20 PM
gooycheese

Now regarding fuel, first off there are people running boats on less than 15% nitro. This past weekend I watched a twin rigger running that was running on 10% nitro. This rigger had come from France and in France 10% nitro was $100 a gallon, I was told alot of boats there run on whats called fai (which is 0% nitro) I think some of the planes and helicopters run this stuff. I am pretty sure with less nitro content you need to run hotter plugs, maybe your plug is a little too cool ( I hope someone that knows more about this will chime in and set this statement correct).

Hope it works for you,

Paul
Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
towchief

Thanks a lot Misshydro, Our local hobby shop (mostly cars) does carry 30% car fuel but it doesnt show oil %. I will take your advice and add 3 oz. caster oil to the gallon. If I ever get it started I will feel much better. I even loosened the glow plug so the engine would turn over easier. It also floods very easily. Have been adjusting the carb from 2 to 3 !/2 turns out. have no book just rule of thumb.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
misshydro

NO!! No!![X(] I'd shouldve stated that 3 oz of castor oil to one quart of fuel!!This is what I was told to do and it works well!![8D] Traxxas fuel has 10% oil,That what I'd found out on towerhobby web sight! Most motor are 2 1/2-3 turns out on the high speed needle!! The proublem with low nitro=less power=slower speeds! Gooycheese if low nitro was so great??? T All of us vegas people would be running it![&:][:'(] The rule of thum is the higer the nitro=faster speeds you get out of your motor and boat!! But with higer nitro you need to run cooler glow plug!![8D] Like some of us are running O.S 8 or Mcoy#8 or 9![8D] For us vegas guys and girls,for racing we use50- 65% nitro Thats the max!But for playing around the pond we use 30-40% nitro fuels!!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

ORIGINAL: misshydro

The proublem with low nitro=less power=slower speeds! Gooycheese if low nitro was so great??? T All of us vegas people would be running it![&:][:'(] The rule of thum is the higer the nitro=faster speeds you get out of your motor and boat!! But with higer nitro you need to run cooler glow plug!![8D] Like some of us are running O.S 8 or Mcoy#8 or 9![8D] For us vegas guys and girls,for racing we use50- 65% nitro Thats the max!But for playing around the pond we use 30-40% nitro fuels!!
Not necessarily true. I've seen boats running with 30-40% nitro literally blow the doors off boats running 50% and higher. While nitro content does have an affect on performance, it is not a cure all. A properly broken in engine in a boat that is properly set up and balanced can over half the time beat a boat running higher nitro that isn't as well set up or balanced. I've also seen a 1/8th scale roundnosed boat with an unmodded .60 run past a .67 powered picklefork that was running fuel with a higher nitro content.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Dan S

The same goes with the glow plugs,

Terry an I both have the OS 18, we both run PROMIX 35% Nitro, I run with a MC-9 and Terry with a MC-59, his OS does not like the MC-9 what so ever.

Why the variation? not a clue. When it comes to what plug to run or what prop to use it all comes down to trial and error and what works best for your setup and that particular hull.

As for what percentage of Nitro to use it also all comes down to what is readily available in your area and one of the most important one is $$$$$$$$.

in France its $100 a gallon for 10%, for us here to buy our fuel locally 35% is $45 a gallon, would I like to use higher Nitro? you bet your little tush I do, but its just not reachable money wise.

Yes planes can run on 0% Nitro because planes (depending what you do with it) do not need Nitromethane to run, only Methanol (and oil).

We on the other hand require both for running at the extreme RPM's our engine run. Remember each product in our fuel are there for their unique property, one for lubrication, one for burning and the other for burning and cooling.

Dan.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
winzracing

Guys you are all right...I have tried running 15% and lower in my boats and they run like SH?????.....Put 35 and higher and they go like hell...But make sure you fog the engines on higher nitro after running as the bearings etc will fail in short time...Have experienced this already
Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
winzracing

Dan mate mixed your own fuel ...ITS SO EASY to do so and alot cheaper..will send a link to you of a website that tell you what to do....cheers