Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

straightening bottom of a cat hull

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

straightening bottom of a cat hull

Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 AM
xtreme1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straightening bottom of a cat hull

Which filler do you use,and where can I pick this up.Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 AM
misshydro

Default RE: straightening bottom of a cat hull

I use ICING by USC.It's a two part spot puddy/it mixes like bondo but it light weight and sands super easy with 180 grit sand paper!! I'd been using that stuff since 1992!! It use for auto&Marine uses!!! Bondo is heavy weight on these boats! I'd should now this!! You can get this stuff at your local NAPA stores or autopaint suplie storts!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 AM
terry kelly

i would block it out as much as you can to avoid adding to much weight then shoot a coat of filler primer down then block agian it shoud take care of most of the waveness if it dosent then try the bondo deal"icing" , it is just dead weight so if you can avoid it do so. i would use products from a reputable supplier , dupont , ppg , i have never used paint from a auto parts store , just because their specialty is auto parts not paint supplies. jmo
Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 PM
joseywales

Terry I hate to tell you this But NAPA around here is a reputable paint and autoparts supply stores.To let you know terry most of those paint and supply stores also sells autopart too!!! ICING is super light spot puddy filler,lighter then the old bondo/autobody filler!!It's easy to use,you can apply this stuff on over painted surfaces,you just have to sand it with 180 grit before apply it on! I have alot of years experience in autobody&paint plus dealing with stores who sell them! DUPONT??!!I wouldnt buy or use there clears ether!! We had proublems with there clears,plus 10 other shops in the 90s had the clears peal wright off the cars!!Plus that paint is very over priced,your paying sponcership for Jeff Gordons racing!! I'd rather use PPG before DUPONT!!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd use West Systems Epoxy mixed with microballoons. Much less prone to damage than filler putties, West Systems is also formulated for marine use and is not being "borrowed" from the AUTOMOTIVE body shop
Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: xtreme1

Which filler do you use,and where can I pick this up.Thanks in advance
Now that you've had a variety of answers, can you provide some details on exactly what you are trying to "fill"? If you're trying to "fill" gaps between pieces of wood, one set of answers may be appropriate. If you're trying to "fill" the grain of wood before painting, another set of answers might be better. The finish (such as using clear to show wood grain versus painting over fiberglass) will also have an impact on your choice of filler. So, what's the application you're looking for?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
misshydro

Wait a min hydrojunkie,ICING I use is auto&marine use!! If your filling pin holes and taking out waves on the out side,then I would sudjest using ICING! It's super easy to sand,wont gum up your sand paper like bondo and epoxy.[:'(]But if your doing the inside then use the west system.here's the pics of the ICING made by USC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61791.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	750720  
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

That's funny, it says "Autobody Icing" right on the lable, but I don't see marine use anywhere on it.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
misshydro

It says on it and you over looked somthing at the fare right corner!!! The boat anker=meanning boat use!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Regardless, I still wouldn't use it on the running surface on a boat
Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
misshydro

My Missblue angel and miss buds and my vegas and still taking a beating and still holds up very well!! If the surfaces are perpaired right that stuff will take that beating!!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

get the boat up to speed and we'll see
Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 AM
xtreme1

Piper Chuck.. One of my projects is the bottom of my TC31. The running surface at the rear of the sponsons from the last step back has about 1/8" Hook or concave in this portion of the hull.There isn't really much material to block it out ,so I thought that I could fill it to straighten the bottom for more speed and more predictable handling..In real boats this is used to limit speed and force the nose or bow down causing the nose to dig in especially under deceleration or turns. Thanks for all the help guys and gals..RYAN