Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

40" Prather deep vee w/videos

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

40" Prather deep vee w/videos

Old 08-25-2007, 10:02 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40" Prather deep vee w/videos

Some of you might remember the thread "homemade gasser w/pics" http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5254824/tm.htm
Well this is now the continuation thread since the thread "homemade gasser w/pics" changed from a homemade gas boat to this nice nitro boat. (A big thanks to Mopartybob for all of your help) If anyone has any questions or tips they would like to share with me, go for it. Thanks.

First question:
I'm planning on running this 40" Prather Deep Vee(k&b 7.5 aboard) today and I need the to do's of running in saltwater. I need to know all the maintenance required after the run. I plan on running the boat(maiden voyage for me, although the boat is "used" ) in about 3 hours.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE: Running a Deep Vee in salt water

Long story short - clean everything. Fresh water and WD 40.

JD
Old 08-25-2007, 12:37 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power wash NOT needed...lol...pull shaft and run 22.cal. gun patch or whatever will fit in there also...no solvent...relube .......check the next day for salt crystals....repeat as neccesary...[:-]
Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Here is my maintenance routine...I only run in saltwater.

After every day of running, the hull and hardware get a freshwater rinse. (Some of the guys I run with bring pump garden sprayers to rinse their hulls after each run.) After that I flush the cooling system. For this, I have a small submersible fountain pump and a bucket of water....I usually let it flush for 5-10 minutes. If during the day I had happened to get any saltwater in the hull, it is at this time that I seal the carb intake and flush the hull with 1 or 2 quarts of freshwater. Then the transom hardware gets a spray of Corrosion-X. Next I remove my motor and flex shaft. The cooling system gets a few blasts of air to remove any excess water. With the motor removed, I cycle after run oil. Then I spray the motor with WD40 and wipe off the excess. Then the flexshaft gets wiped clean of any residual water and grease, then sprayed with WD40.

When I am ready to run the boat again, I pull the stuffing tube out and apply grease in the stern end, replace the stuffing tube, apply grease in the strut, install the flex shaft, put the motor back on the mounts, tighten flex shaft in the collet, align the motor/flex shaft in the stuffing tube and tighten motor mounts accordingly...of course make all other necessary connections and it's ready to go. I can't reinforce enough the fact that the flex shaft has to be lubed every time.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Thanks for the help everyone.

I sent fresh water through the water cooling from where it exits for a minute or two, rinsed off all of the outside of the boat with the top on, applied wd-40 to all the hardware on the back of the boat, got the puddle of water out of the boat, then took a damp(with fresh water) paper towel and went over the engine and collect, and just pulled and rinsed off the flex shaft, degreased and greased it. I hope that will do the trick. I'll check for any salt crystals tomorrow. And I had to ask, fun4ej, how long does your maintenance take you after you run in saltwater? It's taken me a long time to do what I did today so I was just curious, maybe you've really got your routine down. I'm just curious to hear how long it takes you.

I mentioned that this is a continuation thread for the boat, not just a "1 question" thread. This is where I will post pictures, videos, updates, problems & questions, etc. I'll change the title soon.
how it ran: Great for the first trial. I got it somewhat up to speed and really found out what it was capable of.[8D] Although I don't even know if it got it above 1/2 throttle, and the acceleration is cool to see once it "kicks in". The spot where I had this good "trial" was a bit skinny for comfortable turns, so I brought the boat in and killed the engine using the throttle. We moved to a wider spot of the canal. Here's the dumb mistake I made: I forgot to reset the throttle trim back to a higher idle. So for 5 or so attempts to run the boat again, it wouldn't stay running. I did get a video of the boat, but it was one of the "later trials", not one of the best video's ever produced.[&:]
http://rcuvideos.com/item/D8KHYYRZB1X44886/received
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM
mopartybob

the single-needle carb on the 7.5 is tricky to tune inas much that to keep it from stalling on launch,you must keep blipping the trigger to mid-throttle to keep the crankcase from loading up with fuel,if you tune it to idle better,it will just stall on you right after launch from bein too lean....keep the revs up kiddo....
Old 08-27-2007, 09:56 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Default RE: 40" Prather deep vee w/videos

First of all, thanks mopartybob, I'll keep that in mind.

I had the boat out again Sunday and with me were two friends and a neighbor. We all had a very fun time. The boat ran very well(approximately 30-35mph) and the water was as flat as glass(2nd location). It was a great day overall, however the starter belt melted on the hot pipe and that ended running the boat for the day. Soon, just to be safe, I'm going to buy a failsafe to prevent any runaways. Speaking of that, no glitches or anything, the radio gear works very well.

http://media.putfile.com/Prather-deep-vee "Chaos when three boats come around the corner" (my hands were shaking so bad)
http://media.putfile.com/Prather-deep-vee-12 "Accidentally jumping a couple of waves"
http://media.putfile.com/Prather-deep-vee-13 "Running full throttle in a new location"
http://media.putfile.com/Prather-deep-vee-82 (Similar to the previous video)
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM
mopartybob

still nothing kiddo,try you tube......
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

www.rcflix.com is one that I use a lot as I've had trouble also with RCU Videos in the past. It's an all R/C boat picture and video site so it's not like you'll be the only boater in there.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

The videos work now.[8D]
Feel free to post a comment.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
skidooguymxz550

seems very slow. sounds like your engine could rev alot higher. is your throttle setup right?

also, you have no roostertail. i think you need to get that prop up on the surface.

i'm an electric guy so i'm no expert with nitro but i have dabbled on the darkside
Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see the old Prather 40"
I'm going to have the bigger brother running this weekend. (Prather 46')

It appears your running sub surface which works well with the old larger Prather Hulls.

Keep it up! No more laundry baskets

Ryan
Old 09-01-2007, 03:50 PM
stempak

yes try lifting the prop up, those run like raped apes that boat should go atleast 45-50
Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

The prop is in a fixed position so how could it be adjusted? Anyways, I think the drive/prop position is fine though, I believe the hardware on the boat was specifically meant for this boat(not specifically "my boat" of course), and also I think the speed is nothing but running too rich. I will also check again that the throttle is being pushed to full, I did check this though before I ran but I'll double check it. I think the low speed is purely due the lack of RPM from to running way to rich. Check my posted vids if you want to hear the RPM for yourself(I think it's low because the engine isn't "screaming screaming" but I really don't know, maybe someone else could tell me if motor RPM does seem low or not). I guess tuning on land is a bad idea since there is no load on the prop, even if you are running water through the cooling head, correct?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Those hulls were designed for subsurface drive as that's all they used back when it was first made. Some of them don't like surface drives too well.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
stempak

It doesn't hurt nitros to adjust them on land. As long as you don't overheat them. start rich like it sounds in the vid"s wide open then lean it out till it starts slowing down and richen it back up a little. From there you can fine tune it.

Another thing. Your prop looks pretty hamered, You might want to eventually send it somewere to have it fixed up. If you get it leaned out correctly and it still seems slow, you might have the wrong prop on it? usually it will say what prop it is on the back side of the shaft of the prop?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

ORIGINAL: stempak
It doesn't hurt nitros to adjust them on land. As long as you don't overheat them. start rich like it sounds in the vid"s wide open then lean it out till it starts slowing down and richen it back up a little.
Thanks Ron and Stempak for the advice.

I'll be getting a couple different props soon to experiment with boat performance.

Stempak, I'm not too sure about what you said. That would be awesomely convenient if it was true, but I think I've heard before never run a nitro boat out of the water for long let alone run it wide open since theres no load. Can someone else please clarify if it's ok or not because I'm not "really" sure myself. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
stempak

the gas motors you can.t adjust out of the water it will hurt them. Nitros it won,t just doit somewhat quickly
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Dan S

No matter what you do we all have our motor running on the table, no choice, thats how we start them (but you knew that already).

Never run the motor WOT on the bench, Max 45 sec engine running out of water, some times its much less and some times a tad more.

Keep it at idle to fast idle bleeping the throttle so the motor doesn't load up.

Take for a test run, if too rich, bring it in an lean in 1/8 to 1/16 at a time. If too lean the motor will tell ya as it keeps dropping RPM (high/low, high/low).

Dan.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
stempak

That works 2. but the constant bringing backin and adjusting could get tiresome!

Also if you really get into your boat you could put a 3rd channel remote adjuster. It lets you fine tune your adjustment of carb while you are running, It's actually the best thing to have. But you must still get in closely tuned on land or water 1st.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
stempak

another

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63531.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	756100  
Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Thanks for the recommendation stempak but for now I'll bring it in over and over to tune it because I'm sure a third channel adjustment is expensive and I'm still not all that experienced with running rc boats yet. Maybe in the future I'll get one, but for rite now this is only the beginning. I am getting a failsafe soon though, I would hate to have my boat become a runaway. I still don't know if it's safe to run wide open on land for tuning.

I'm gonna shoot for taking boat out for a run next weekend to get it fine tuned on the water.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Dan S

"I still don't know if it's safe to run wide open on land for tuning."

I gave you the answer to that already, no it is not safe to run wide open on land for tuning.

See post #19.

Dan.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Ah ha, thanks Dan. The problem was I didn't know what WOT stood for but I just looked it up and discovered it's "wide open throttle". Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
stempak

actually the adjuster is only 47bucks brandnew. and probably half that used. But you would also need a micro servo and your radio would need to be 3rd channel capable. So you could do it for about 50bucks if you bought used. and the boat going slow was actually a good thing to get used to the boat before it goes ballistic!

I would definately get a failsafe too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.