Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Exhaust exiting hull.

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Exhaust exiting hull.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
youdirtyfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust exiting hull.

Hi Chaps,
just a quick question really received my manifold(wich needs port matching I guess) and pipe from OSE.
In the picture they have the pipe exiting the boat hull out the top of the hull, however after looking at the set-up
I think I can have run along side the radio gear plate and have it exiting the boat at the back.
is this going to cause any problems?! see attachment

Thanks
Sam.

P.s had a great time today at the beach running the AJ with the bigger fuel tank seemed to last for ever, and the new
prop is brilliant
Did get a bit choppy though as it was running at the entry to a busy harbour, damn those bigger boats hahahaha .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52589.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	749407  
Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

Default RE: Exhaust exiting hull.

i think a god way to make that work is if you move the exhaust more back so there is NO gap between manifold+exhaust. And then getting a brass tube or a copper tube and going from the exhaust tip to the back of the boat. Because with the setup you have now you might be burning those couplers real fast.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM
misshydro

You need to move the tune pipe back to your header like custom said! Plus you need that tune close to your header or you'll loss your boost/powerband on your boat.What the make and size of your motor?[&:]You could run a longer tune pipe?[&:]But you must keep the header and tune pipe as close as possible too!![8D]You can use a brass tube like I did on my vegas to attach to your tail end of your tune pipe and exit out the backend of your boat like me is!Heres the [8D]pics

Name:	Hf99840.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	749419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70918.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	749420  
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
youdirtyfox

Sweet ! Thanks for your help guys.. yeah I had heard stories about melting couplers and the like!
Its a cen .16 . I have a miss vegas alu tuned pipe coming from tower hobbies soon ( thought I might
aswell buy it now as a .18 will be going in there in the future) , just wanted to try a quick mock
up of where it might all fit really and exit the boat, didnt want to go cutting and drilling unnessasarily.

Cheers for the pics

Sam.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that you can't just mount a tuned pipe any old way it fits best, the length of the pipe is criticle, if the pipe is too short or too long you might as well run open header with no pipe at all!!! start at 8 3/4'' from center of glow plug around the header to were the pipe is fat and then take a little off the header pipe until it screems. An easy way to measure is to cut a piece of stiff wire at 8 3/4'' and bend it to the shape of your header then you will know where to cut to come up with the right length. If you need more length buy a longer header pipe or ad a piece of copper tubing using two couplers. LENGTH MATTERS.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 PM
youdirtyfox

Excellent thanks for the top tip f16man. Yes I'll definately be up for some experimentation with lengths![X(]

Not quite sure how im going to fit this in yet anyway, but hopefully I will find a solution and use a proper silicone exhaust joiner aswell?!
I will have an alu plate going over the radio gear as part of my radio box also

Sam.

Name:	Gd93553.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	753298  
Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 PM
youdirtyfox

Well she's in there! with no hatch mods, just drilled a small hole in the rear for a silicone hose to exit off the pipe into the atmosphere. Took the boat for a little play down the beach, but didnt have time to experiment with lengths as it started getting dark and my transmitter batteries started going
But she seemed to run well

Name:	Ro41635.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	755288