Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Vegas-Upgraded and Hardware question

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Vegas-Upgraded and Hardware question

Old 08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
agentorangeracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Vegas-Upgraded and Hardware question

Im looking for a company that sells Hardware for my Vegas, I know that TLR makes the rudder and turn fin and other things, but im looking for somthing diffrent, and to be honest, im not sure ill get my parts if i order from TLR, not putting them down but have had problems in the past. I have found a place that sells Hardware for hydros, including the vegas, such as Hyperformance Products, and Fullers Fast electrics. That seems to be the only companys that sell hardware, but with a high price, if anyone can tell me a place for vegas upgrades, it would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE: Miss Vegas-Upgraded and Hardware question

ORIGINAL: agentorangeracer

Im looking for a company that sells Hardware for my Vegas, I know that TLR makes the rudder and turn fin and other things, but im looking for somthing diffrent, and to be honest, im not sure ill get my parts if i order from TLR, not putting them down but have had problems in the past. I have found a place that sells Hardware for hydros, including the vegas, such as Hyperformance Products, and Fullers Fast electrics. That seems to be the only companys that sell hardware, but with a high price, if anyone can tell me a place for vegas upgrades, it would be helpful. Thanks.
The 20 Hydro Speed Master Rudder could be used. Speed Master Hardware is available from Gary Preusse, G&M Models, (630) 279-2451. He only does phone sales. The Grim Turn Fin works as good(personally I think better) than the one from XXX. Not sure what other hardware upgrades you are looking for. The flex-cable, stuffing box, and strut are equal to anything available aftermarket(ok, that's another biased statement).

Jerry Dunlap's Disclaimer List
AquaCraft Consultant
Designer of the Miss Vegas
Team Futaba Marine
Old 08-25-2007, 11:46 PM
agentorangeracer

What and is there a web site for the hardware you are talking about, and is it exspensive? The hardware at Hyperformance Products is around $139.99 for strut and rudder.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
iowapiper_rcp

in all honestly, there is really no need to upgrade the strut, nor the rudder on the boats. They work perfectly, infact, i cut about 1 inch off my stock vegas rudder. Now the turn fin, it needs to be replaced, but the best fin on the market right now, is the grim fin. Its a tryed and proven design.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
agentorangeracer

Yea ill get the turn fin from grim, but im looking for a stainless steel rudder, for looks..and somthing a bit diffrent, oh, and whats the diffrence in the 1st and 2nd generation Vegas? its got somthing to do with the strut dosnt it?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 AM
agentorangeracer

Jerry, Thanks i found the site.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: iowapiper_rcp

in all honestly, there is really no need to upgrade the strut, nor the rudder on the boats. They work perfectly, infact, i cut about 1 inch off my stock vegas rudder. Now the turn fin, it needs to be replaced, but the best fin on the market right now, is the grim fin. Its a tryed and proven design.
I have to agree with a lot of this. I am using the stock rudder (modified a little). I am currently using the grim fin, but am thinking of going back to the stock one and trying it again.

I have read a lot of BS about the stock rudder...stuff about the inlet being to high, or problems with the plastic control arm...etc. But as I said...it is BS. Only problem I have had with the rudder is that the little set screw is not always tight up against the hinge pin, and I can't get it to turn on at least one of my rudder assemblies. This leaves some free play (rudder can wiggle a little without moving the control arm). I called their tech support (boat was under warrantee), and all they did was tell me to heat it...but that did not work either. I had to change out that part of the rudder.

I have broken 2 struts, but I think it was due to a bad flex cable (shortening more than normal under power). I changed out the cable and have not had a problem again yet. I did use a "top secret" brand strut I got off Ebay when tower was out of the stock one. But the stock one is a little faster (less drag).

Sean
Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 AM
sleepy306
My Feedback: (1)

I think the stock stuff is fine. I've bought the grim fin and it's cool. When my 1st gen boat was all stock except for the engine, I all the parts worked well. I did modify the 1st gen turn fin...sharpened it, bent the lower inch about 7 degrees. The sharpening and bending of the fin really made a huge difference and in my opinion would rival the grim fin. Not in the looks, but in performance turning right...the stock fin was cool. Unfortunately, I gave it to someone so I don't have it anymore.

The only issue I have with the first gen hardware is the thickness of the 1st gen flex shaft (.130 vs .150 for 2nd gen). The later gen flex shaft is a little bit beefier and if cared for equally would out last the original.

Now if you want to be different, speedmaster is a good company, but the solinger strut is a nice piece worth looking at. I've never had these installed on my vegas, but I do have speedmaster hardware on a 21 size cat...very nice quality.

If your interested in the solinger hardware, offshoreelectrics.com and firefighterboats.com are 2 vendors that sell them.

Here's solinger's product:
Old 08-27-2007, 10:44 AM
agentorangeracer

Dang, thanks, Thats sweet, how much they run for?