Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

K&B flex cable help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B flex cable help

Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Mr3Putt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B flex cable help

I need to lube the flex cable on a K&B 7.5 model 8701 the I recently was given. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I need to remove the cable? If so, what is the best way to do this? Please describe in detail as this is all totally new to me.
Thanks much,
Jack
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: K&B flex cable help

Remove the prop drive, it's got left-handed threads if you didn't know. Not trying to insult you but a lot of people including myself didn't know that at first. You can then pull the cable out. Sometimes they come out easily and sometimes you needc to pull them out with needle-nose pliers.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
moparbarn

ron, you forgot the part about waterproof grease-lubriplate, mercury 2-4-C and the like......... not joking about the grease, just having fun with ron.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I saw your posting on using wax to coat the cable with. I've been working this week on a machine that puts a wax impregnation in paperboard, think paper cups as an example of what we do. I'd probably get funny looks from the others dipping my cables in the wax tank but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
moparbarn

ron, it works great for me, but all in K&B ob's. my flex is in nylon, surrounded by a huge aluminum heat sink (lower). i do have one mod unit with a brass liner, and a carbon REK with brass liner, no issues there, either. just wondering about some threads i have read about more heat in ib setup's??? hot enough to melt the wax, and wash grease from the inside??? don't do ib's, so can only throw it out there..... i'd be willing to say it can't hurt, if you can comfortably touch your stuffing tube or shaft right after a run.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:30 AM
solo2004

hi on my k b 7.5 i use a nipple off the exhaust leg up to the top were the shaft go in ,another nipple put in hey presto oiled shaft when engine running from exhaust hope this help
Old 11-25-2007, 03:11 AM
fmimages

I'm a newbie but I just pull the shaft out and pour in regular outboard marine gear lube. I first put the boat at a right angle so gravity can do its thing. It's cheap!