Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Fuel ??????????????

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Fuel ??????????????

Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 PM
hydroracer11g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel ??????????????

I have a .12 Dynamite sps motor in my sons boat. Question is should I use boat fuel or is the 30% nitro car fuel good enough. I seen som 33% nitro Top Fuel from Traxxas at my LHS would that be ok to run in this car motor? I have caster oil for my real 125cc hydro that I race. That I could add to the car fuel in needed. Any help would be appreciated as none of the LHS around here have boat fuel. They all look at you like your crazy when you ask if they have some. I can always mix may own to I have methanol and caster. All I would need is nitro and I know were to get that. Anyone have the pecentages to mix a gallon?

Mark
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Fuel ??????????????

I have the same prouble that local hobby shop dont carry boat fuels!![:@] I use traxxas 33%!! I buy by quarts!!! You need to add 3oz of castor oil to one quart of that car/truck fuel,because it only has 10% oil mix!! This is what I was told to do form two guys on this form!! work well!! If you buy a gallon you need to put 12oz of castor oil in it!![8D]
Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These R/C boats are real too. I wouldn't want to own a fake R/C boat.
I'm interested in seeing your 125cc full scaler.

As MissHydro said, I would also recommend adding castor to it.

Ryan
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 PM
hydroracer11g

Here you are. My 125cc laydown hydroplan. Picture was taken at the 2007 PRO Nationals in DePue IL. She hits 78 MPH!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76445.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	752924  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 AM
ryan_t888

That's awesome! Looks so tiny.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 AM
hydroracer11g

Yep My wife calls it my flying coffen
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
ryan_t888

Is there a website for that 125cc class, where I could see more and read more?

Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
topfuel4430

That looks like a lot of fun. Do they make them in fat boy sizes? I am a little big to be stuck inside one of those...lol.

If I were you, I would DEFINITELY mix my own fuel. I have been mixing my own fuel for a number of years with great success. Its rediculously easy. The hardest part is getting the nitro, which you say you already have that covered. We would chip in together and buy it by the 53gal drum to get the price per gallon down (about a 1000 bucks with shipping). But you save a TON of money in the long run.

We would mix 65% for about 18 dollars a gallon, and 50% for about $15 a gallon. depending on the oil content, everyone has their own favorite blend.

A good ratio for your sons boat would be whatever nitro percentage you want to use, 30-40% is sufficient for the fun factor, and would run 14-16% synthetic (Klotz KL 100, or Morgan Cool Power oil works great) and also add about 2% Castor. That will put you at 16- 18% depending and is a good place to start.

~James
Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 AM
hydroracer11g

Yes we have them for the big boy's. We run classes from 125cc all the way to 1100cc classes in both Hydroplane and Runabout. Here are a couple of grat websites for you guy's that are interested.

Thanks for the info Topfueler.

www.apba-racing.com

www.ustitleseries.org

www.hydroracer.net

Mark
Old 09-07-2007, 05:18 PM
moparbarn

i grew up in miami in the 50's and 60's. most everything was kneeldown then. most class' have changed A LOT over the years. it's nice to see that smaller ob's still look like what i remember back then. i can remember 15' McCall tunnels with 99 cubic inch straight 6 mercs as kneelers!!! sorry about those guys knees. what you read here is good info. i can't get "boat" fuel locally, so i buy fuel i know the oil % of, and use castor to mix up to 18% total. lost a couple of rods in my 3.5 k&b ob's, but that's not uncommon. k&b's don't really like to be pushed too hard, they will break. i'm continually finding new ways to create scrap aluminum. in my stock motors, no issues at all. i really think the k&b failures are more my pushing the limits, rather than oil. you race, you know what i mean.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
ryan_t888

I made an excel spread sheet to help calculated the exact figures needed of both nitro and oil to come up with a total percentage of oil/nitro because my LHS carries a lot of nothing.

Hydroracer,

I checked out some of the sites and it looks awesome. I'm interested in those small hulls, I just don't like how it says alchohol engines, and the prices on those things!

I love the 250 twin cylinder!!!

Ryan
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
hydroracer11g

Ryan them 250cc pro hydros do 90+ MPH on the strieghts. If you don't like the alky ones. There are plenty os stock and mod classes for you. Like C or D stock or mod that burn gas. They are a bit cheaper than the Alky( PRO ) boats. You can buy a whole used C stock hydro rig ready to run for $3,000.00 USD. I see you are from Canada. Here is two sites from Canada. These are two great guys. they6 can set you up with a rig if you would like to get into racing.

www.fralickboats.com

www.scottcraftboats.com
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 AM
!burnz

I found in one of these forums that you can use heli fuel if you cant find boat fuel. Hobbytown has 30% Wildcat heli, but it has 22% synthetic oil. Which is better synthetic, castor, or a combination? How does each act in a nitro engine? I had heard one goes toward heat and the other goes away from it.

Chris
Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Dan S

Chris,

Wildcat this year have 2 type of Heli fuel,

the original Helimix with 18% oil and this year Youngblood Helimix with 22% oil, I would use the Original Helimix with 18% oil, thats what I was using until this year, I now switched to Wildcat Promix 35% Nitro and 18% oil (95% is Synth and 5% Degummed Castor Racing oil).

Some Synthetic oil tends to break down and lose their lubrication qualities in high temp, but a lot of companies including Wildcat uses Klotz oil, very good fuel.

Dan.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
hydroracer11g

ORIGINAL: !burnz

I found in one of these forums that you can use heli fuel if you cant find boat fuel. Hobbytown has 30% Wildcat heli, but it has 22% synthetic oil. Which is better synthetic, castor, or a combination? How does each act in a nitro engine? I had heard one goes toward heat and the other goes away from it.

Chris

Chris Caster will not run from heat. In PRO outboard racing everyone runs with caster oil. We have not found a better oil in over 50 years of alky racing.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Team A-Hull

I'm new to nitro so bare with me. I'm confused about fuel after reading this post. I have an sv 27 nitro vee that i want to break ing sunday. Know i read this post and it looks like you have to add oil to the mix? I bought odonnel 20% car nitro rcing fuel (1 gallon). Do i need to add to this or do i need something completly different? No boat fuels locally.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Dan S

no you don't have to add oil to your fuel.

those who add oil to their fuel is because they have a low oil content in their fuel like 12%, by adding castor oil to the fuel they will bring the oil content up to 16 or 18% ( depending how much castor is added ).

if your fuel has 16% oil then your fine, 18% would be the max, 14% should be ok but less than that is not enough.

Dan.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Team A-Hull

Thanks Dan! So, the 20% figure on the side of the bottle is reffering to oil? So, 20% would be to much going but what you said?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Team A-Hull

Here is the link.
It's 18% oil on oddonnels website. It seems like you have to research on every item you purchace becasue you can't trust the hobby store and no info on tower about the fuel or on the bottle. Just says 20% car.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XMGD7&P=7#tech
Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Sean Bowf

I think it depends on the type of oil too...and that you can't just look at the % of oil content by itself. O'donnell's says that it has similar protection as other fuel containing 18% oil, not that it has 18%. I think they use a synthetic oil, and from seeing the oil content of other fuels that use synthetic oil, I would GUESS they are around 12% oil.

Sidewinder uses synthetic oil and they are at 12% oil content in their boat fuel...as a comparison.

Sean
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Dan S

If I remember correctly we had that discussion on another thread about some fuel companies not giving out or wanting to give out the information on their oil content.

Thats why we use boat fuel from companies that have all info on their products, one way you can find out how much oil is in the fuel would be to poor 100ml of fuel in a small container, let the fuel evaporate until only the oil remains.
Then measure the oil, do the math and you will know.

a good type of oil is Synthetic by Klotz and of course high quality, pure Castor. But don't get wrapped around the axle with the oil, I meen lots of people run and race their boats with only Synthetic (klotz), some swear by Castor, others a mix of both.

Mine is 18% oil that is 95% Synthetic and 5% Degummed Racing Castor.

Dan
Old 09-09-2007, 01:04 PM
!burnz

Team A-Hull, Unless it says oil next to the percentage then it is talking about the nitro content. 20% odonnel car fuel would have 20% nitromethane. I looked on odonnel's website and it doesn't give the oil content just that it has the exclusive O'Donnellube™ synthetic oil package. http://www.odonnellracing.com/fuel/racingfuel.html

Chris
Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Team A-Hull

Thanks Sean, Dan and !burnz for the much needed info!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:24 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

I think it depends on the type of oil too...and that you can't just look at the % of oil content by itself. O'donnell's says that it has similar protection as other fuel containing 18% oil, not that it has 18%. I think they use a synthetic oil, and from seeing the oil content of other fuels that use synthetic oil, I would GUESS they are around 12% oil.

Sidewinder uses synthetic oil and they are at 12% oil content in their boat fuel...as a comparison.

Sean
I know one racer who mixes his own fuel with around 65% nitro. He has his oil content around 12% and uses all synthetic. However, he has lots of experience, which means he knows how to run his engines without leaning them out. Running low oil content leaves little to no margin of error. The result is one lean run could toast an engine. That's why you see so many people recommending 18% oil, and having some of that be castor. It gives the engine a fighting chance against lean runs.