Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

R/C boat customizing questions

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

R/C boat customizing questions

Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 AM
vestalcook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C boat customizing questions

Hello,
I am in the process of building a new speed boat. I dont like to just buy kits when i can say i created it. using the hull from this website http://bonzisports.com/fountain64_info.html now i want to run 2 Traxxas 3.3 engines with the ez starter. now i am pretty sure that a simple 5 amp on/off switch will start these engines. but i would designate 1 channel per engine. and then have a dual engine kill switch also on another channel. now i would also like to use the t-maxx transmissions since it would be very easy to get reverse this way all it takes is a servo and a channel. i am thinking of making this a 9 channel boat 3 for the engines, 4 for the boat systems = adjustable trim tabs and rear stabilizer wing, and 2 auxillary channels. now i have another unusual and very expensive idea ok here it is, whats to say you cant take out the antenna lead wire and input it into a 25 mile transmitter and install the matching reciever to the reciever wire on the boat. i found a transmitter/reciever combo for $1300 and have small current consumption. and if i was to do that i would also install two transmitters on the boat to transmitt video, right engine temp, left engine temp and usb enabled gps device. now the total estimated price so far is $6000. now if it were to work like i expect it to i would i would honestly just be amazed. now after modifying the engines to be water cooled and fan cooled i want 4 prop shafts running 40mm props with a 1:2 ratio on the props. i feel that the engines have enough power to turn the prop twice to one engine rpm. that would mean the props at full throttle are turning 80,000 rpm, i dont know what that means for speed but i think it should fly. that is why i want a gyro installed to the trim tabs. now how could i modify the hull to allow air in and out with out interfearing with the stability or speed? i think even a small air scoop would slow it down i dont know how much though. and also in a boat hull where should the center of gravity be? thank you for reading and i appreatiate any tips.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 AM
topfuel4430

Default RE: R/C boat customizing questions

Im not one for bashing people and their ideas, because thinking outside the box is a good thing. But I gotta tell you, you need to do a LOT more research before you begin any of this.

Are you saying you are going to put 6.6cc's worth of engine power in a 64 inch boat? Thats the first mistake. Think more in the lines of 30cc and up (way up).
That engine, direct drive, (forget a transmission) with 1 40mm prop would be hard pressed to see 18,00 - 20,000 RPM much less 2 engines turning 4 props at 80,000.

I honestly dont know where to begin on the other stuff. I have always been a firm believer in the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

~James
Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those mind expanding mushrooms your cooking with need to be boiled first buddy,(it takes the edge off 'em)......[:-],I agree with james, you need to quit sampling your stew, and do ALOT more research ....
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 AM
vestalcook

then how about running two of the fuji 43cc gas engines? these only run at 11,000 rpm i really want this boat to be as fast and stable as possible. that is putting out 8.4hp at 11,000 rpm, for this size boat is that too much or too little? what about putting one of these engines to a single 70mm prop? i would appreatiate any usefull comments and ideas to get this boat going fast.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As already mentioned, those poor Traxxas engines will not put out anything close to 40 000RPM each on a 40mm prop. I believe it is already over propped with out the transmission. Typically over driven systems are used when your engine produces lots of torque and little RPM's. An overdriven tranny will allow you to spin a smaller more reasonable prop at a higher RPM without torque roll. A ratio of 2:1 effectively cuts engine torque in half. In otherwords you would now need a 25mm prop.

With all that equipment the last thing you should be worried about is an air scoop.
Weight, speed, reverse, auto start, 9 channel setup, on board pcu ect, is just a circle of conflicting ideas.

For that size boat and your expectation, you will need an inline or single full mod 25cc Zenoah - 6hp that pushes 18000RPM and forget about all the fancy equipment.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
ryan_t888

Sorry Double post, trying to rack up my post count

I could at least add something to this. Depending on what your state laws are, you may need a license for that fancy radio. When you start counting range in miles, you could get yourself in to trouble faster than you may believe.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
mopartybob

WHAT purpose will this boat serve you......[:-], and it's 25 mile range??? that has to be fast and stable...I'm contacting homeland security...........[>:]
Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 AM
codtongue

my thoughts exactly, whats the point of all this???
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 AM
vestalcook

this boat would serve as the same purpous as my car and helicopter do. its fun, a hobby. but i wanted to make a boat to stand out of the crowd. i have seen r/c boats you can buy for 5-6000 dollars and all they do is go forward "fast" and turn. the 25 mile range was an example i dont think you could even obtain it without fcc aproval. i figured that for that price i could make something better.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
ryan_t888

How about an everyday gas boat? Why the need for all the equipment.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
mopartybob

here's somthin for you to consider building that WILL stand out from the rest...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcF565btVxE [:-] quack
Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
codtongue

if you want to stand out, go for a pair of quick draws twins and a killer paint job, I would'nt try to re-invent the wheel, just customize it
to the max. you'll stand out.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
mopartybob

you can also go this route...[:-] pics courtesy of J.A.W.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57027.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	753122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61230.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	753123  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM
codtongue

thats what I'm talking bout, that thing must cost $5000.00, and when the last time ya saw one in person.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Dan S

All I want to comment about is your radio system idea, nice thinking but unfortunately not allowed.

FCC states that Tx and Rx for any R/C equipment cannot be modified, each system are required a maximum power output, take the 27 and 49Mhz for example, the transmitter power is limited to 100 Milliwatts.

Did you know that were not even supposed to change the Crystals in our Tx and Rx, I know we do it but in reality according to FCC were not supposed to.

Just imagine if you were to take your radio system and make it work to a 25 miles system, what would happen to the guys running their boat on the same channel 4 or 5 miles from you.

it wouldn't be a pretty picture.

Dan