Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

prop shaft diameter .187 ???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

prop shaft diameter .187 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 AM
xism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop shaft diameter .187 ???

i actually dont know anything about the shaft-diameter measurments when it comes to numers like 3/8... 3/16 etc. and now its even worse... a prop i want to buy to my jetstream 1000, has a inner diameter .187 .... now, whats the heck is that? the prop iam talking about is an prop shop 4014E/3

i dont know if its going to fit?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 AM
gooycheese

Default RE: prop shaft diameter .187 ???

A .187 shaft is a 3/16" shaft, is that all you are looking for?

Paul
Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Sean Bowf

Xism, you just need to divide the top number of the fraction by the bottom number to turn it into a decimal.

So as Paul said, for 3/16ths, 3 divided by 16 = .187(5)

Sean
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: xism

i actually dont know anything about the shaft-diameter measurments when it comes to numers like 3/8... 3/16 etc. and now its even worse... a prop i want to buy to my jetstream 1000, has a inner diameter .187 .... now, whats the heck is that? the prop iam talking about is an prop shop 4014E/3
This confusion is why nearly everyone in the world, except us stubborn Americans, uses the metric system. We even make it difficult for ourselves by using two different numbers 3/16 and .187, which really should be .1875, to refer to the same measurement! [X(]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck
This confusion is why nearly everyone in the world, except us stubborn Americans, uses the metric system.
I totally agree. In Canada, we use or at least I use both systems the same amount. If my job didn't use imperial I wouldn't even think about it. As an engineer it increases the amount of mistakes and lacks efficiency when compared to metric. Just a total mess with a few pages of calculations.

Ryan
Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
zippymustang610

metric is the obvious choice for engineers indeed! college level engineering courses make almost all of the dimensioning metric (at least mine do) i personally feel it is the most simple and universal form. But us Americans had to go and mess that up because its cool to be different i guess...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM
moparbarn

ORIGINAL: zippymustang610

metric is the obvious choice for engineers indeed! college level engineering courses make almost all of the dimensioning metric (at least mine do) i personally feel it is the most simple and universal form. But us Americans had to go and mess that up because its cool to be different i guess...
from what i remember in high school, the english started the inch, foot, yard crap. was the sizes of different parts of the king's body, that started the "system". a foot was his foot length, a yard was from the tip of his nose to his outstretched fingers, and an inch was the second joint length on his right thumb. but we americans didn't have to keep it. we rejected most of the rest england's stuff............