Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

just thinking a little

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

just thinking a little

Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just thinking a little

can I swap the cooling head from a O.S 18CV-RM to a O.S .18TZ TX cuz I think the engine would fit in my proboat with no problems.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
gooycheese

Default RE: just thinking a little

There is some people doing that but it does need some machining. The heads are different and the TZ is a turbo plug make sure ya consider that.

Paul
Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
misshydro

Here's what I did on my thundertiger pro.21 car motor!! [8D]If the head dont fit?? You could cut off the air cool head down the the glow plug surface.[8D]filed it down to flat and smooth then use the .18 water cool headbotton on the head![8D]Then you grind the sides of that air cool head to match the size of that water cool head botton. But before you do that,[X(]check and see if the water cooler head bolts are in the same bolt padern as the one you want to use.[8D] Now I have a smaller water cool head botton then sand/grind the side to match the smaller water cool head botton.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80672.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	756599  
Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
zippymustang610

isnt their a thread on how to do this with a TZ i thought i read it one time i would like to know how to do it as well considering i have a TZ laying around what about the crank though i have the one with the slide carb and the long crank how you you go about coupling it to a flex shaft? well unless you threaded the crank on the end i suppose anyone know?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM
misshydro

If that a car motor you can cut off the non threaded part off.[8D] You can find a skinnier flywheel and theres kits for the side carb too.[8D] But I'd made my own to use my side carb on my thundertiger pro.21. But that strang that your motor has a SG crank????Most of them have a full threaded crank.[8D]
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 PM
zippymustang610

yea my tz has only a partially threaded crank this one... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHLV6&P=SM i dont know if conversion is possible
Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 PM
cyclesoul

Yes it can be done, i did it in my boat, here's a step by step-

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_54...tm.htm#5485459
Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
zippymustang610

yes i knew someone did it i read the post before! thanks cycle how is it down under?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 PM
zippymustang610

cycle what kind of coupling did u use to connect motor to flex shaft? also what flywheel did you use that looks like a brass one of dynamite motors but im assuming u didn't use that.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: cyclesoul

Yes it can be done, i did it in my boat, here's a step by step-

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_54...tm.htm#5485459
so is your boat crazy fast and would you do it again?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:53 PM
zippymustang610

ok guys im updating on my project... i not have both types of o.s. .18 tz im gonna tyy to hook up the motor with the fully threaded crank with no flywheel and se ehow that goes and for the one with the non threaded crank im gonna run a flywheel from the other os marine motors i will take pics after installs are complete!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:50 PM
cyclesoul

Hey Guys. Down under is tops at the moment, its always tough living in the best country in the world, just coming into spring now, so i will have to get the boat going again soon. The Tz hasnt had that much fuel through it as it was the end of warmer weather ( not that cold by most standards, but the end of my trips to the river to wakeboard!!!)when I put it in there and i have had trouble with breaking flex shafts and loosing my good props!

I was still experimenting with pipe lengths, props and prop depths when I hung it up for the winter. It was really starting to howl though and I cant wait to get back into it, the hull is a real surprise and seems to handle high speeds really well, though the days of jumping boat wakes are over now, its just too fast! Tuning a boat is also much diffrent to a truck and that has taken some getting used to as i have never used a temp gun to tune and the ole spit test doesnt really work with a water cooled head!

You will need a fly wheel on your motor otherwise you will do a lot of swimming! I used the original one from the OEM .15 and it is quite heavy brass, i think I will try an os one this summer to get heaps more rpms. The collet is also a part that came with the original boat.

All in all I would definitely do it again, modding stuff is most of the fun for me anyway!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: zippymustang610

ok guys im updating on my project... i not have both types of o.s. .18 tz im gonna tyy to hook up the motor with the fully threaded crank with no flywheel and se ehow that goes and for the one with the non threaded crank im gonna run a flywheel from the other os marine motors i will take pics after installs are complete!
Like cyclesoul said, I also strongly recommend not to run your motor without a flywheel, that flywheel has a purpose and its not only to start the motor with a belt if you don't have a pull start.

Dan.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM
zippymustang610

i am aware the flywheel is not just for starting, i realized the stock blackjack flywheel fit on their as well and the stoc blackjack collet