Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Vegas

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
redriderjt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Vegas

Took my Miss Vegas out this weekend for the first time. I couldnt get the boat to turn without cavatating. I tried to mess with the prop depth with no help. The boat would rev out super high then wouldnt get back on plane it would just chug along and take on water over the stern of the boat. To top it all off I twisted my Flex cable on my SuperVee the only boat that ran well was my Mini V.Making for a short day.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Default RE: Miss Vegas

B.O.A.T.------- Break Out Another Twenty... or two... or three..., ect........... it's never ending... but FUN!!!!!!

Are you running a metal prop or the plastic prop it comes with??
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM
redriderjt

stock prop but I have a metal one balanced and sharped ready to go i didnt put it on yet because I wanted to see how the boat preformed first
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 AM
avenge

what type of metal prop do you have? (Y535 or m435/3 or other)[8D]
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Sean Bowf

The Y535 will probably solve your problems. With the stock engine, put it a little under 3/4 of an inch from bottom of hull to center of stuffing tube where it enters the strut. This is a good starting point to work from.

With a 2 blade, some increase in RPM is normal during turns. Falling off plane is not...

Sean
Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh Yeah!!

ORIGINAL: redriderjt

stock prop but I have a metal one balanced and sharped ready to go i didnt put it on yet because I wanted to see how the boat preformed first
I bought a metal aquacraft prop when I purchased mine, however, I'm still running the plastic stock prop. Here's why?....
The first day I took the MV out to give it a try... the third run, I ran into a turtle. Broke a blade off the prop, broke my rudder mount, and bent my flex shaft(no harm to the Turtle)[&o]. So I replaced these items and also replaced the bottom bolts on the rudder and turnfin with a nylon bolt and nut. Before this happened the plastic prop was doing pretty well and was set at the manuel's suggestion.
As far as performance between the metal and plastic that I have observed between my MV and my buds MV's that I run/race with, the metal is just a little faster(very little, if any) in the straights, but definitely faster in the turns. They also throw a mean rooster tail up!! However, watch out in the turns, because it will spin out easily and cavatate and whoever your racing against will pass you(as long as you don't run into them) and get a good distance before your boat gets back on step from cavatating.
Also, you will have to cut the slot in the strut a extra 1/4" if you run the metal prop at the 3/4" depth as described above. If you decide to go back to the plastic prop, the extra cut in the strut will cause a squirt of water to come up(like a waverunner shoots up). COOL looking!![8D], but I'm sure it causes more drag.

Just my two cent's worth...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Sean Bowf

You don't have to slot your strut to run at 3/4 of an inch deep... The stock slot works fine. You only need to slot your strut deeper if you want to run a 3 blade prop.

I have not got around to testing the aquacraft prop on a stock MV...but on my modified MV, I lost over 5 MPH when switching from a Y535 to the aquacraft prop. When I can figure out what I did with the aquacraft prop, I will test it on a stock MV and see which prop is faster with the stock engine.

Sean
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM
terry kelly

sean i have one if you do not.. let me know i will ship it and let you borrow it.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Dan S

Oh Yeah,

Just a point, if you are throwing a mean rooster tail with the Y535 or the Metal Aqua prop you are too high.

Remember a mean rooster tail does not equal more speed, you will actually lose performance. There are other props however due to their design will throw a nice rooster tail with no loss of performance.

Dan.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh Yeah!!

I'm not throwing a rooster tail at all with my MV. I'm running my strut a 1/16" deeper than they(instruction manuel) recommend with some positive and still running the stock plastic prop.
My buds are the one's throwing the rooster tails with the aquacraft metal prop... "Shhhhhhhhh!!!"... that's probably why I'm keeping up with them in the straights.
They(buds) cut their strut slot an additional 1/4" to get the 3/4" depth. They could be running higher though. Also, they followed someone's advice on this website. Mine has the stock strut.
I have noticed that it takes them a little longer after throwing the boat in the water for the prop to get a bite and get up on plane. As soon as I throw mine in, it's ready to go!!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: terry kelly

sean i have one if you do not.. let me know i will ship it and let you borrow it.
Thanks Terry for the offer. I am not sure where else to look for mine...but will give finding it another go. I have no idea why I didnt stick it back in my prop box when I was done with it. I hope I didn't drop it (knock it off my table) when at the pond. I spent a lot of time (90 minutes) balancing and sharpening mine. I don't think it would be a fair comparison if I used a box stock aquacraft prop and compared it to a well balanced and sharpened Y535. And I don't think you would want me sanding on your prop... The aquacraft prop definately comes out of the package looking better than an octura...but mine was NOT balanced and was not as sharp as I run them.

Sean
Old 09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
terry kelly

that is kinda why i offered...lol mine is stock and i get tired of doing my props, that is why i was looking for someone before to start doing them.. i will send it to you just send me a address
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
RcBoatman59

Sean has a gift for working with props, I picked up almost 2 mph with one that he worked for me...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 PM
terry kelly

ORIGINAL: RcBoatman59

Sean has a gift for working with props, I picked up almost 2 mph with one that he worked for me...
consider it done i will send it out this weekend.. i can work on them too. but my mph seems to go the other way..lol
Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Sean Bowf

Thanks for the kudos Norm.

Well...I found it. It was mounted on my .12 rigger (forgot I put it on there to try to get the boat on plane the last time I ran it). I was actually going to look in the tub to see if I put it in there when packing up at the pond, and saw it mounted on the boat.

Terry, offer is still open for sharpening/balancing/polishing the prop. Would be curious to get some feedback from folks on what I am doing to them. TT (Mike) is the one that helped me learn how to work props.

Sean
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Pete48

Rider - Sounds like you're not going fast enough to hold the boat on a plane thru the turns. Keep on the gas. Have faith! She'll make the turn! I had the same problem when I took her for the first spin!

In this video I was goofing off and I slowed down and fell off the plane....I think this is what you're talking about. If you fall off a plane, cut the throttle and drop the speed down and she should catch.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/FK4X9S90XGLZHR0D

Also, I added some foam rubber weatherstripping in the cowl groove to avoid drowing her. If you plow for too long off the plane you'll sink! Trust me, I know this. Don't have any video though.

Sean - Did you loose 5mph with the 36x55 aqua prop? That was going to be my next prop[X(]
Old 09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: Pete48

Sean - Did you loose 5mph with the 36x55 aqua prop? That was going to be my next prop[X(]
Yes, with the 36x55 on my Mod RTR (CVRM). I was going to run it this weekend on a stock boat to see if it did any better, but we got rained out.

When I ran it on my mod RTR, I made absolutely no changes going from the Y535 to the aquacraft prop.
41.1 MPH with first Y535
35.2 MPH on the first run with the 36x55
35.8 MPH on the second run with the 36x55
42.6 MPH with a second Y535

All done the same day, one run after the other. All speeds taken with an onboard GPS.

Sean
Old 09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Pete48

Sounds like you can turn it ON, OFF, and back ON again. Consistant and repeatable. That's enough proof for me.... Shoot![:@]

Anyone want to buy a 36x55 grim prop?[sm=what_smile.gif]