Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Sponsons - Shape and Size

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Sponsons - Shape and Size

Old 09-08-2007, 06:34 AM
007clint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponsons - Shape and Size

I would like to start a discussion on Sponson Shape. To maybe start the discussion, take a look at this full-sized hydro.

Other than the switched right versus left switch because of the CCW versus CW race course, I am seeing different shape and size between sides not to mention the differences between this full-sized hydro and our model outrigger and hydro sponsons.

Thoughts and/or comments?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 AM
misshydro

Default RE: Sponsons - Shape and Size

The proboats have the same style of sponson as the real deal!! Hay were can I find more pics of that boat!!! I'd wanted to do a tiger shark teeth desighn on my vegas!!!!! Please post more pics!!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Sean Bowf

Clint, have you read the build instructions for the FF boats?? If not, go take a look at them. Of course what I am referring to is the sponsons, and more specifically, the sponson angles.

In your picture, it looks like the bottom of the sponsons are both angled to allow the boat to slide in turns a little better (see red line in attached pic). I fixed the left/right turn thing...

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86430.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	758922  
Old 09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
sleepy306
My Feedback: (1)

What did you particularly want to discuss? The difference between full scale and rc models? Or the reason why there are certain characteristics (ie offsets, different ride heights, angle of attacks, widths, height, etc?) I'm not going to answer since I don't have particular experience with real race boats and still new to rc (I don't even race). BUT, I'm all ears to those that chime in here.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
gooycheese

I will say my Hawk has 3° dihedral on the left sponsons and 3° anhedral on the right sponsons. The FF has 1.5° dihedral on left sponsons front right is 0° and rear left is .5° anhedral. So from the inside edges of the sponsons the left slopes up and the right slopes down or is flat in the case of the FF fronts. There are some Very good racers I know that say in the applications we use them it is Not necessary to have the anhedral or dihedral, but in my case I build to plans or kits and haven't decided to change that characteristic of the boat yet.

Paul
Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 AM
007clint

I have been watching sponson shapes, sizes, and dihedral & anhedral angles to better understand the variations and what the variations accomplish. Just to mix the pot a little, take a look at these sponsons:

The 2nd and 3rd pictures are different views of the same sponsons.

Waht do these steps do? What about the width? How narrow is too narrow? The more I see the more questions I have - where are our sponson experts? I have searched the internet and have not yet found answers - does someone have a link?

By the way, I don't know who's it is but I love that shop!!!

Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Jarcaines

They also use to offset the cowlings quite a bit, take a look at the old Griffin Bud, that thing is offset by like 4 feet. My dad ran some tunnel hulls in the 90's that where pretty far offset too, I think they where Geraghty designed.

The different sized and angles on the sponsons are something the full size boats have been doing for years. I use to help crew (as much as a kid can) on a Staducer 7 Liter/Unlimited Light that was built in the late 80's or early 90's. It had a tiny left sponson when compared to the right side.

I am not sure the differences in the anhedral/dihedral make that big of a difference in the models, but it is deffinatly something to think about.