Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help trans info

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help trans info

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM
128rcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help trans info

transmission info help i need to find someplace that provides a clutch and fwd and rev trans for my 61 os marine engine in a customed out 65" scarab like miami vice to make it run scale
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81086.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	759794   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44183.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	759795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63507.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	759796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61471.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	759797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17314.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	759798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of58247.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	759799  
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Help trans info

I dont believe anyone makes a clutch for and engine that large and I have never seen a nitro boat with reverse...HMMM, maybe fab something up yourself but I would think there would be realiability issues with something like that on an engine that large, plus when stopped or reversing you would have no cooling, so you'd need to think of a way to hook up a pump for water, maybe a perry pump or something...being a machinist, mechanic, and total engine and R/C nut I'd love to see something like that working and performing, truth though as I see it is it's just not practical enough to be worth it...so I think maybe build a smaller, scale electric version of the miami vice boat maybe...I believe you could make a clutch for it, but not reverse, and as long as you didnt stop long(maybe 30 seconds or so at most)then you could do without a pump....
Old 09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Dan S

128rcflyer,

just remember it as been covered in almost every thread, Nitro engine don't like to idle.

tThe only boats I have seen with a reverse are electric, now with a clutch we know its not impossible because the Kyosho or Traxxax have a clutch on them, but the engine needs to rev pretty high for it to engage and its only running a .12 or .15.

For that .61 you would need a better clutch, but again I don't see the need or practicality specially since the Nitro motor is not made for that, there is only to speed for a Nitro engine and its off and WOT.

if you were going with a gas engine then thats a different story but even those don't have reverse.

Dan.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if it was a saito or os 40 something...(water-cooled marine engine) but it was FACTORY converted to ignition AND had a transmission w/reverse....[X(] it was on e-bay at one time,I think it would be the only way(ignition) to keep it from stalling out when going into reverse,of course you would have to use a solid drive shaft or reap the inherent troubles from your flex un-ravelling,BUT my BIG ? is why would you want to go in reverse anyway......[:-]
Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you build this or buy it that way? I'm just wondering as I don't see a tuned pipe, just some plumbing to the quad exhaust.