Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Mysterious drag boat....

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Mysterious drag boat....

Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mysterious drag boat....

I got it from a freind who trashed the piston and con. rod on the second run.

The boat is a drag boat, with a Rossi 90 engine in it. My only problems are that I don't know what the boat name is, and where to get a new piston and con. rod for my motor. The motor isn't on Novarossis' site, so I don't know how to get the parts for it. Can anyone tell me any sources?

I didn't get the top hatch from him, because he forgot it, so I'll have it soon....

boat and pipe

motor
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Mysterious drag boat....

Nova Rossi and Rossi are two different companies although owned by brothers. Watch eBay as somebody has been selling a lot of Rossi .90 parts lately.
I've seen them in this part: http://toys.listings.ebay.com/_Radio...istingItemList
I have no idea what the hull is although it does look familiar.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Dan S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Ron, not the same thing, that is why you can't find anything on the NovaRossi site.

have a look at this web site, that 90 does look similar to yours, maybe you could give them a call.

http://hyperformanceproducts.com/

a quick look at your pic shows that you may need more than a piston, sleeve and conrod. There's a lot of rust on the head screws and I wouldn't be surprised if more than one breaks when you take her apart.

lets hope not, as for the hull beside being an Hydro, I don't know.

Dan.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Xpress

Actually, that is just a bit of surface rust. I cleaned everything up with CLR, so everything looks new-ish.

Is there really a difference between piston size on 90 aircraft engines and marine engines?

Oh, and there are a lot of parts on the boat from a company named "Octura Models". Maybee it rings a bell?

I'm planning on replacing just about all of the parts on the inside of the boat, such as controll inkages, and re-routing all of the fuel lines. How do I route the lines for that motor, because it has 2 cooling intakes. Do I have to use 2 intake lines?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey lilbanchee,

Off topic, but I see you are in SD area. A bunch of us run at the model boat pond on mission bay just about every friday and sunday...nitro's, big gassers and fast electrics... get that boat running and come on down.

Jason
Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Dan S

you can buy a rudder with a dual pick up for your water cooling lines or if you use one pick up just bring the line to the top fitting, put a cooling line from the other side to the bottom fitting and exit trough the other fitting.

Have you tried removing the cooling head off?

I don't believe there's a difference in piston size, however it is possible, but the major difference is the sleeves are not ported and timed the same and the piston is made to match the sleeve.

Yes, Octura does ring a bell they still make parts for boats.

Dan.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
TIA

Looks like a modded tunnel hull or hydroplane oval heat racer to me. Probably one of the older K&B or Dumas kits they put out way back when. All hand built.

Is it about 35" long? What's the stern look like?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 AM
topfuel4430

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that Rossi 90. They ALL come apart like what you mentioned. Most dont make it past the first run.

I have seen atleast 4 of them personally expode when new, and heard of many more.

~James
Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM
f16man

I use to run a lot of rossi 81 s and 90s on byron ducted fan A4s and f16s and had no trouble with them, but My buddy did blow one up when he used some 40 % nitro in it , that large of an engine won't handel high nitro for very long, the ducted fan engine and the marine engine are the same animal except for the water cooled head. BUT they are not in production any more but you may find parts in the airplane world ....... good luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Xpress

Anyone have an engine recommendation? I was thinking of something from O.S., if they carry them that big.

Yeah, fun4ej, I do live by there. I know exactly where it is. I'll try to come by sometime.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 PM
BB Modss

Id stick a CMB RS motor in there..but thats just me.

and looking over the pics again I doubt very seriously that motor has run any time soon, the starter belt grove is filled with gunk, mine stays clean as a whistle..because the belt slips and wipes it clean every time I start my nitro's
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Dan S

if the boat is 33 to 35" you could go with a good .45 or .67 (max) but since its an old hull she could be heavier than the new one's, so a .67 may be the way to go.

Dan.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 AM
f16man

Well if you want to loose that rossi just let me know.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Xpress

The boat is currently exactly 11 pounds, with motor, no pipe, tank, servos, hatch, ect. The only items in it are the prop shaft, prop, keel, rudder, and mount.

The starting groove just had a light ammount of dust in it, but I easily cleaned it out with CLR.

BBS Modss, that motor hasn't been run since he blew the piston, more than 10 years ago!!! But, quite suprisingly, the glow plug is still in verry good condition, besides a small ammount of surface rust on top. Lights up, and glows brightly.

I was just looking at an O.S. 46 marine engine. Would it be able to get this boat up to speeds around 40-50mph?

OR, can I just buy a 90 from O.S. and try to get the marine heads to fit in place of the stock head?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Xpress

I am wanting to get rid of the 91, any takers?