Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Pill Bottle Muffler

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Pill Bottle Muffler

Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pill Bottle Muffler

O.k., I guess I've procasternated long enough about posting how to make a Pill Bottle Muffler. I went to the Walgreens and purchased a small bottle of Advil. I'm now going down to my shop and build a PBM. Will post info, photos soon.

JD
Old 09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Hesco Racing

Default RE: Pill Bottle Muffler

Hey mufflers are expensive. The arrow shows mine fitted to a standard tune pipe made to fit as a wrap around. Worked fine and got me under 80db. Drilled holes in the stinger where the muffler sits.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45147.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	761211  
Old 09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
gooycheese

I have made a muffler out of a binaca bottle.

Paul
Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Sean Bowf

I can see the binaca..because it is metal (I think). But I would think a normal pill bottle would melt under the heat of what is coming out of the tuned pipe. Maybe some sort of metal disk at the bottom of the bottle for the heat to bounce off of?

There are some small cans of stuff like WD 40, that I wonder if they would work. I walked through the travel section of walmart looking at all their small bottles of shampoo, etc...hoping to find a mini mousse can or something...with no luck.

My question would be, what is normally inside of silencer?? With that knowledge, a mini can, a couple of pieces of aluminum tube, and some JB weld, I would think we could make silencers.

Hesco Racing, are you saying you just drill holes in a metal tube and slid a can over it?? If so, and you now have 80 db, what did you have before??

I would like to find/make something (silencer) that can fit in the middle of the silicone tube that runs from the tuned pipe to the back of the transom in my MV.

Sean
Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Jerry Dunlap

The J.B. Weld is setting and the muffler is built. Since the muffler is outside the transom, it is getting some cooling from the wake. Metal cannisters do work well, but require a bit more drilling.

JD
Old 09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: Jerry Dunlap

O.k., I guess I've procasternated long enough about posting how to make a Pill Bottle Muffler. I went to the Walgreens and purchased a small bottle of Advil. I'm now going down to my shop and build a PBM. Will post info, photos soon.

JD
Here's what you need to make a PBM: a small pill bottle, 13/32 K&S Brass Tubing, J.B. Weld(J.B.Kwick works well), and some tools to cut and drill the brass tube. I use a drill press and a fixture to hold the brass tube while drilling the holes.

1. Cut the brass tube to 4 1/2" in length.
2. Drill holes in the sides of the top and bottom to the pill box. The muffler is offset to allow the rudder to move. The photos show where the holes were drilled in the bottle.
3. Insert tube into the pill bottle and allow about 1/4" to protrude from the bottom.
4. Mark the ends of the pill bottle on the tube.
5. Drill 2 sets of 5 - 1/8" holes in the tube. See the photo.
6. Insert the tube into the pill bottle. Position the holes in the tube so they point towards the largest area of the pill bottle. You do not want the holes pointed towards the area closest to the tube.
7. Glue the tube to the top and bottom of the pill bottle.
8. Fill the exit end of the tube with J.B. Weld, stand it upright on a piece of wax paper and allow the glue to set.
9. Drill 2 sets of 5 - 1/8" holes in the pill bottle.
10. Remove the rubber exhaust tube from the end of the tuned pipe and insert the long end of the intake end of the tube into the exhaust tube. Use a small zip tie to secure the muffler to the brass tube.
11. Insert the rubber tube w/PBM into the transom.
12. Position the PBM so it least interferes with the movement of the rudder and is above the bottom of the center section. The PBM can touch the rudder and because the exhaust tube is rubber the PBM will move easily when the rudder is moved to the left. Since most turns will be to the right there isn't that much of a problem with the PBM restricting rudder movement.

JD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99544.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	761271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57295.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	761272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44058.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	761273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15561.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	761274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb35771.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	761275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx33239.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	761276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj88797.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	761277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr61509.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	761278  

Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Went out today with Beaver Boy and ran my MV with the Pill Bottle Muffler shown above. BB ran his MV with a MAC 2.5 pipe. My MV w/PBM was noticably quieter. If there was any decrease in the speed, it wasn't noticable. I'm going to race my MV w/PBM this weekend in our last District 8 Sport 18 race. This boat also has the sponson mods that were shown on another thread.

JD
Consultant AQ Models
Designer AQ MV
Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
toyotatruckin

Jerry, the muffler you have made is a great Idea for the guy that goes to the races and gets nailed by the DB meter, would be a quick track side fix using JB Quick, a couple parts form the field box, and mabey a trip to the gas station for some advil..
Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Believe JD forgot to mention, only use the plastic on .21 or lower.. Might be safe with those .32's out there now.. Going up to a .45, the bottle will have to be metal.. Or would you like a glob of gue at the end of the pipe?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: ob nut

Believe JD forgot to mention, only use the plastic on .21 or lower.. Might be safe with those .32's out there now.. Going up to a .45, the bottle will have to be metal.. Or would you like a glob of gue at the end of the pipe?
Mark's right about plastic and larger engines. A travel size Gillete shaving cannister works well for bigger engines. The PBM on the MV is getting water cooled since it extends past the transom. However, I do not believe it is creating much/if any drag at the back of the boat.

JD