Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

water temps

Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM
nothinbetr2do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water temps

hi guys, question for ya. i'm wanting to know if and when(temp) the water we run our nitro boats in can become to cold. beside from freezing and ice, can the water be so cold that it won't let the motor get up to operating temps. thus causing damage to our motors. at what point(water temp wise)do you guys stop running for the winter? thanks. and o here's a few pics of my new toy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26276.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	763469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59552.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	763470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85925.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	763471  
Old 09-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Sean Bowf

Default RE: water temps

No personal experience with it, but I read where one guy said he runs his cooling through the header cooler first, then the engine when the water is cold. This pre-warms the water before it gets to the engine.

Sean
Old 09-15-2007, 08:37 PM
nothinbetr2do

that's a good idea, but i would still like to know bottom line how cold is to cold. water temp wise
Old 09-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Dan S

I live in Canada, New-Brunswick, so speaking from experience with freezing our butts off, we have ran our boats when the outside (Air) Temperature was approx 41 F. Water temp was around 45 to 50F, what we did is restrict the water flow (zip tie on the pickup line) to have engine Temp as close as possible. The hardest thing was to keep our fingers warm.

For me, any colder than this is not worth it, when I have to dress like if I was going snowmobiling this tells me the season is over.

Nitro doesn't like cold(wont ignite easily when cold) much harder to start.

Dan.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM
nothinbetr2do

ok thanks, now how do i get engine temp. can i use an onboard temp gauge that goes around the base of the head like groung cars and trucks? if so what are the temps that should be good, max low and max high
Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Dan S

The big engine temp question,

we had quite a lengthy discussion on that one a little while back and unfortunately we never came to an agreement.

I like mine between 140 and 155F, some prefer 160 to 170, others at 200F. I think this is a question to which there really isn't just one answer.

there are too many factors involved in to what your motor temp should be at, Nitro%, water temp, outside temp, elevation etc...

Dan
Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 AM
nothinbetr2do

ok, can you just give me a max engine temp at the base of the head? as that's where you should put the on board temp gauge. i don't tune by them, but i like to know when i over did it
Old 09-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Dan S

I always measured at the plug.

I believe there is a 5 to 10 degrees difference between the plug and the base of the head. Please don't hesitate to correct me or if someone has the exact numbers.

Dan.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dan S

The big engine temp question,

we had quite a lengthy discussion on that one a little while back and unfortunately we never came to an agreement.

I like mine between 140 and 155F, some prefer 160 to 170, others at 200F. I think this is a question to which there really isn't just one answer.

there are too many factors involved in to what your motor temp should be at, Nitro%, water temp, outside temp, elevation etc...

Dan
150 seams really low. In RC car racing most people aim for about 220ish degrees at the plug. I would not let the engine get above 280 degrees.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Yeah, I never temped my boats beacause they never got hot enough to act wierd, eratic idle and stuff like that, but I have had trucks do that, my last truck(t-maxx 3.3) loved to run hot in the 270-280 range, but traxxas engines have always ran hot...never hurt the longevity or the reliablilty of the engine and it had tons of power...I liked the idea of running the water through the header cooler first though in cold temps, Id say thatd be enough to run till it was uncomfortably cold out, I noticed in cold water my boat would take a couple more laps to get up to temperature though...I never compared the temp gun to the temp gauge though...kinda wish I had now to see if there is a difference
Old 09-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Dan S

I knew it was gonna turn into a pissing contest.

Good luck running your boat engine at 280 degrees.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: Dan S

I always measured at the plug.

I believe there is a 5 to 10 degrees difference between the plug and the base of the head. Please don't hesitate to correct me or if someone has the exact numbers.

Dan.
I agree on measuring at the plug. Most of our boats are 140s to 160s at the plug. Depends on engine and outdoor conditions (air and water temp).

Yes, I hear buggys run at 220-240, but since water boils at 212...I don't think this would be a good idea with a water cooled engine.

Sean
Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My boat engines run at 180F with water restrictions and in the winter or cold weather water lines are completely removed. To help assist in cold weather starting I use a heat gun.

My car engines typically run between 230-260F and my airplane engines are usually around or over 260F.

All temp reading were taken using the Eagle Tree Micro Data Logger. This is an onboard unit that graphs results of the whole run and not instantaneous results.

I strongly believe ABC type engines must run in hot conditions to achieve proper sleeve expansion. And I also believe fuel should be burnt at higher temperatures to achieve maximum combustion and efficiency.

Ryan
Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

My boat engines run at 180F with water restrictions and in the winter or cold weather water lines are completely removed. To help assist in cold weather starting I use a heat gun.

My car engines typically run between 230-260F and my airplane engines are usually around or over 260F.

All temp reading were taken using the Eagle Tree Micro Data Logger. This is an onboard unit that graphs results of the whole run and not instantaneous results.

I strongly believe ABC type engines must run in hot conditions to achieve proper sleeve expansion. And I also believe fuel should be burnt at higher temperatures to achieve maximum combustion and efficiency.

Ryan
Ryan, you just hit the nail on the head.

more than likely if I was to use an onboard temp reader like the Venom smart temp, my temperature reading would more than likely be a lot more accurate than what I have. Just remember guy's I take the engine temp at the end of the run, meaning I stop the boat, climb down from the driver stand, pick up the boat and place on the bench, remove cowl and take temp reading.

I just wasted 20 to 30 seconds unless I start running (which is not gonna happen), you know like me that it doesn't take long for the motor to drop temp and it does it pretty fast.

so if I have a reading of 140 to 155F 20 to 30 sec later, it is very possible that the real actual temp would have been 160 to 180ish if taken during the actual run.

Dan
Old 09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

Ryan
is that 180 with the sensor at the top of the head or the bottom? i never seen a eagle tree micro data logger, so i don't know. the one i use is a traxxas on board temp gauge, and it needs to be at the bottom of the head
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
ryan_t888

I don't remember exactly where it was but I do try to get as close to the combustion chamber as possible.

The ET logger is found here
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMBS3&P=ML

Temp Sensor
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPBP3&P=M

It's main purpose is for Electric planes/cars/boats but it can easily be adapted for nitro to measure servo parameters, temperature and RPM. Just use an adapter to feed it receiver voltage from the receiver battery pack. I connect mine in series in front of the switch and after the battery to log the current drawn from the battery and the voltage drop while the battery is under load.

The biggest advantage is it displays graphs not single maximum readings taken by a venom.

Ryan
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM
misshydro

I'd ran mine when it was 38 degrees out!! I was told to put water restrictor/like a fish tank air pump valve on the intake side of the water cooler line!! Works great!!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

280 degrees is way to hot and I have a chevy that says fords do not rule ha ha .
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
ryan_t888

If you are talking about boat yet it would be too hot but for cars or planes it can be quite common.

I like all American cars and would never knock any of them.

Ryan