Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tunnel hull turn fin

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tunnel hull turn fin

Old 09-16-2007, 05:54 AM
bensidus197217

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel hull turn fin

Does my 24" tunnel hull need a turn-fin? I have a 3.5 K+B outboard for it and I would like to know if a turn-fin is necessary. If so, where would be a good place to mount it and what configuration would work best? Thanks. Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 AM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tunnel hull turn fin

what kind of tunnel u have?..the old design tunnel has turn fin, if u can avoid putting it the better.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 24 inches I'd guess you have a Dumas hot shot. If you do then no you don't need a turn fin.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Turn fins used to be an easy fix way back when for a poor handling tunnel hull. As designs improved, they went the way of the Dinosaur.
If you find that it's absolutely neccessary to have one, it goes under the center of gravity on the inside of the right sponson.
24" is way too short for today's engines. They were too short when the boats first came out! Back then it was more of a race for survival as these boats would flip over easily. With the engines that we have today we need longer and wider hulls, 29" is the norm now with some going up to 32". I've even seen 35" tunnels with .21's mounted on them that are used mostly in rough water conditions.