Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How many people balance their flywheels?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I balance my flywheel and I do race competitively
7.69%
Yes I balance my flywheel but I do not race.
23.08%
No I balance my flywheel and I race competitively
30.77%
No I do not balance my flywheel but I do not race.
38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

How many people balance their flywheels?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 AM
sleepy306
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people balance their flywheels?

I've never balanced my fly wheel, but I wonder how many people do. I see the importance to it since the vibration can loosen screews and such in the hull. I believe it would also rob some power to a point. So just out of curiousity how many people do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ron G

Poll will end on 9/24/07
Old 09-16-2007, 11:23 AM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: How many people balance their flywheels?

i try to keep everything i can balanced, on all my nitro toys. i just think i'll get to enjoy my toys longer if they're not falling apart from vibrations
Old 09-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Sean Bowf

I think the main thing...is to check the balance of it...not so much to balance it. If this was an option above, this is what I would mark (I check the balance, but I don't balance them).

The only reason I balanced the one that did, was so I could run this weekend. Otherwise it would have remained unbalanced at the bottom of my parts box, unused.

The reason I check the balance now is because when I installed the unbalanced one, my header screws were vibrating out, my strut mount actually came loose...and I can't remember what all else it caused. This led to a HUGE headache to include broken struts due to the cable being damaged (??) by the strut coming loose.

It is odd though...that we magnetically balance our props, but you will find things like an after market drive shaft with the solder sticking out more on one side than the other (first pic below)...or an OEM drive shaft with a set screw sticking out beyond the drive dog (second pic below). Or a flywheel that only has a hole drilled in one side of it.

So, why do we worry so much about the balance of our props, but nothing else in our driveline?

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62821.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	763849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87612.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	763850  
Old 09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

I would balance one if I saw something like a hole only in one side of it, or if I noticed it stuck out more on one side then the other(of center hole) really it depends how they machined it, if the machine the outside and drill the hole at once then it should theoreticly balance perfect, then If I were to design one I would pick it up with an edge finder on a mill and drill a hole right through it, dead center, and that would keep the balance very close, If I was gonna race I would, and always balance props, a prop comes as a raw casting, not machined part like a flywheel...and as for the driveshaft stuff I wouldnt worry about it, its a minute difference very close to the center of the shaft so that never concerned me...just my 2 cents on it...
Old 09-16-2007, 01:26 PM
gooycheese

I have never balanced a flywheel, but the only flywheel I would think needs balancing is a cheap RTR one. I am just guessing on that i have never checked a octura flywheel before but I have never broke a flex yet in over a year and a year of racing flex shafts are all still good. I would think people need to make sure there flex lines up with the stuffing tubes and there props are balanced, and unbalanced flywheel i would guess would cause more problems with an engine than a flex. Yes i would think that an unbalanced flywheel would cause vibration issues, and it would cause stuff to come loose.

Paul
Old 09-16-2007, 02:23 PM
misshydro

I'd thought the flywheels were balance at the factory where the motors are built??[&:]