Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Ready to fire K+B outboard into garbage

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Ready to fire K+B outboard into garbage

Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
bensidus197217

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to fire K+B outboard into garbage

I have changed, glow plugs,piston,liner,housing gaskets,glow plug batteries, every thing except the carb and engine itself. I have bought a nice new starter motor and almost worn out the cone on that. All the screws are tight all housings are tight and all this thing does is assist the starter motor to turn faster makes noise gets hot and has only run on it's own twice for a short time I might add. I have checked glow plug operation on a number of occasions, I have adjusted the carb from three and one half turns all the way to six all that does is change the noise it makes.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Ready to fire K+B outboard into garbage

Have you tried less than 3 1/2 turns out?

I ask because when I had mine it would run at 2 1/2 turn out, with the LSN screw flush.

What I will ask next may sound stupid but make sure you are spinning the motor in the proper direction.

if you can, put some pics of your setup, pics of the carb etc..

Dan.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Grimracer

Ben......

What K+B do you have? If you can tell us that we might be able to guide you..

If its a 21 and the water cooled then start at 4 turns out
The SS (gold head) start at 3.5 turns out.. the black head 4 turns out...
If its a 45 we need to know what one you have... so on and so fourth

I remember my first K+B.. thought i was going to dig it a hole... but after a few years of running them I grew very fond of them.. good power and good performance..

Remember.. it is possible there is something wrong with the motor.. if thats the case and your not sure.. let us know.. I would be happy to take a looks the motor for ya.. (you pay the shipping and the parts) let us do the rest.

ROCK ON

Grim
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are your starting the engine the proper way? Are the starter leads reversed? They will run backwards but not very well.
If that is the case you'd be way far from the first to do this.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 AM
bensidus197217

Hi Guys; Thanks for the help I'm not the fastest typer but I did put all the info under (going electric) I hope it helps you understand my situation better.Thanks again Jim
Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 AM
bensidus197217

It's a K+B 21 or 3.5 and funny you mention the screw being flush, mine protrudes 1/8 inch past the needle seat when fully closed. It is a black and gold carb if that helps. Thanks Jim
Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Dan S

Ok,
tell us the what fuel you are using and what plug.

you said that the LSN when closed as far as you can go still sticks out 1/8", how much of a gap do you see when looking at the needle inside the carb?

you may have a problem with the LSN, oops, wait a minute, you said it was a black carb, but black carb doesn't have an LSN?

Have you taken the HSN needle out to inspect for damage?

Have you tried blowing in the fuel line with the HSN fully closed?

Dan.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM
bensidus197217

I had 2 glow plugs; one that came with it and one I bought at my hobby store, the owner who's been in this business for yrs. said it's the right glow plug & I believe him. The fuel I use is 15% nitro. Is it possible that one can turn the screw in too far & damage the seat?
Thanks. Jim
Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Dan S

Thanks Jim,

I am not trying to discredit your LHS, actually I'm glad that you have a good one that you can rely on. Still can you please tell me what glow plug you are using,

K&B 1L, HP, etc....

15% Nitro is kind of low but thats not the main reason the motor won't start, and yes you can damage the needle or the seat if you screw in too far. When you loosen up the lock nut and bring the HSN all the way you should stop as soon as its stops, if you (or someone else) force it to go further in you can cause damage.

There are also other things that may cause the "why" it doesn't want to start or keep on running.

Since we don't know the history of the motor, we don't know if there are any head shims or not. Normally the rule of thumb is lower the nitro the less head shims the motor needs, because the lower nitro requires more compression to burn, thus the same goes for higher nitro content requiring 1, 2 or more head shims (shim thickness varies) because higher nitro require less compression to burn.

Dan.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a few drops of fuel into the carburettor and then try and start it with the throttle open. If it fires up then, you will know it is lack of fuel delivery. If it doesn't then you know it is not getting enough heat to the glow plug. When I have trouble with mine and don't know where I stand on glow plug power or carb setting - I'll try the manual prime and fire approach. Usually I'll get at least a pop or a short run burst to let me know what is happening.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 PM
ob nut

Well, guess I'm jumping in a bit late.. Yes, I've read all your other threads.. Have you replaced the bearings? How about a cracked case? That one drove me nuts for a few months before finding the crack.. Up the nitro! K&B 3.5 love to suck down high nitro.. 45% at least!

As for the offer from Grim (Hey Mike! How's the hair hang'n??).. That is kinda like having Carrol Shelby walk up to you and your car and him offering to "tune it up" just a bit...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Like Mark said, you might want to reconsider letting Mike take a look at it. Anybody that can tune a stock K&B .21 OB to where the glow plug thinks that it's on a tuned pipe engine must be doing something right!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Dan S

Too late guy's,

he already started 3 threads on the electric side asking the same question on "how to convert to electric" and he has a pic with the power head remove and an electric motor in its place.

NO loss.

Dan.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 AM
bensidus197217

Thanks to all you who tried to help and yes it's now done. Nitro is good for you guys and I say power to you keep it going and good luck. I think I'm too old and cranky to have patience for nitro. Someday I may wander back in but not till a bigger engine of the nitro variety walks into my life. Thanks again