Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

...Youngblood 45...UPDATE!!!...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

...Youngblood 45...UPDATE!!!...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...Youngblood 45...UPDATE!!!...

Heres the boat I just got in a trade, first run will be later today as I had to wait for fuel line an a failsafe to get here...its a youngblood hull with a CMB .45 grandprix silverhead...which I am not racing so Im sure it will be plenty fast...I have been searching for someone to run with in my area, no clubs, races, and I even PMed the members into boating that are in my area on the member search and no replies...kinda gets boring running myself...but anyway, let me know what you think of it, I got alot of info about it on intlwaters.com but figured I'd post it here as well, I am gonna build a PVC stand in the near future for it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24157.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	767701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22487.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	767702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63718.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	767703  
Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My new boat...youngblood 45...

sweet deal V3d,sure beats the hell out of that nitro vee..lol..just one thing i noticed,you might want to cut back the trim tabs that are sooo close to the keel,it could cause water disruption to the prop causing cavitation....maybe trim'em to 1" around the props radii....and watch out for them thar turtles.....
Old 09-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Vertical3-D

I talked to the guy who owned it before the guy I got it from and said it ran good, so Ill see how it dose like that, those are the factory tabs for the boat I believe...yeah I dont think Ill have to work to hit 30mph like with the nitro vee, I'd like to see 45mph out of it...Im gonna GPS it today with my Garmin etrex...so we'll see...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course he's going to say that!
The first thing that caught my eye also were the huge trim tabs, they are a little bit of an overkill.
Check the tuned pipe length as it might be too long. It should be in the neighborhood of 10-1/2" from the plug to the widest part of the pipe. It appears to be a Mac Products pipe and some people have a tendancy to just pop them on and not cut them to the proper length.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Vertical3-D

Its at 10 1/2 inches, I cut a little off the pipe and a little off the header, someone suggested the length on intlwaters, also not the guy i got it from, but the original owner is the one who informed me it ran good when he had it...I got it in to water today but didnt get to run it more then a few feet cause of radio issues...yeah the tabs are giant, I am gonna run it first and see how it planes out and rides before cutting them though
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Vertical3-D

got the boat in the water today, I needed to make it richer then it was and got in two runs before I toasted the crappy exhaust coupler I had on and brought it slowly with an open header after the second run, still needs to be richer though, so tonight I'll fix the coupling and run it later this week or weekend, handles very well, no hop, no hook in the corners, I am really happy with it, runs very reliably too, just had to crank the idle up a little since its so rich(single needle carb) nice stream of water from the cooling, the huge tabs didnt seem to hinder it, it got on plane easily and was running nice, didnt seem like it was running out all the way though, I think it was because it was too lean, loosing power on the top end, and once richened a little it got a little better so maybe a little richer and it will run out like it should, next run I'll get the GPS in it and see how it does...
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM
goldendesign04

Pretty vee there man. let us know when you get it gps'd
Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Vertical3-D

Default RE: ...Youngblood 45...setup questions?

Ok got it kinda tuned in today, and it was hopping a little, and then in the straights when I opened it up it would riase up totally on the prop and be a real wild handful to drive, I could see the turn fins completely out of the water when it would bounce at WOT, I had a little fuel issue so the tank has to come out an be replaced(leaking at the stopper) so here question number one, it has a 12 oz. tank, if I strap a 24oz. tank I have in it will that keep the front down, cause it burns the 12oz. tank pretty quick and without getting hot...second question, could the large trim tabs be adding to the problem of flying to high out of the water, and should I cut them or remove them? will it plain out without them and with a heavier tank????heres a picture of the hardware again...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21063.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	771413  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WWWEEEEeee Doggies, I bet it's a handful,first, the combo of the trim tabs and the 3/blade prop would provide enuff "lift" that it's only riding on the prop,hence the instability at WOT, I learned this from my days with the os.21/cmb21 nitro vee....[:-],as I mentioned before,trim your tabs (lol) to about 1" of the radii of the prop,(more maybe needed),you may need to trim some from the outside edges if it is still too unstable when negotiating sharper than normal turns, hell,if you keep that prop on there you might just want to remove them alltogether and get a baseline eval and go from there,a 2/blade will allow more of the transome to remain planted and increase stability somewhat, but this is what i've learned so far from my experiences with too squirrely a boat.....the bigger fuel cell may help overall,I would take note of the ride characteristics at different fuel levels ie:full,3/4 1/2... as you have now altered your COG and might have to compensate with a little added weight in the rear....let us know what she gps'd at please,......you might want to lower the angle to your strut to about 2 degree's - to also help with the hopping issue,but i'm sure once you deal with the tabs it'll be ok...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah I think I will remove the tabs all together, the prop was recomended by a bunch of ppl over at intlwaters who run monos of this size, I think you are right that the tabs are causing the lift, today was the first good speed runs to see what they would do, I need to figure out where to put my GPS had it ready to go, after one tank of bouncing around, and what I would describe as a boats best impression of a wheelie, I decided not to put it in till I can better mount it, Ill work on that the tabs, tank and trim the drive down a little tonight, should make a big difference...maybe Ill get another few ru ns tomorrow...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm running a 16 oz. Sullivan Vee tank in my .45 mono and it's plenty of fuel but it's also set up for heat racing. It's a little more than I need but I needed to get the fuel tank as low as I could so that the carb wouldn't siphon fuel.
I don't know if I'd run it without trim tabs but maybe make up a pair with only half the width and use them on the inside holes.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Vertical3-D

Ok, I marked out the tabs on one of the old ones and sent it to work with my dad so he could cut it, my boss is away so I cant get to my airtools this week... but the weathers bad today anyway so no running, I'll put them on there, I may have a 16oz. tank but its permenantly installed in one of my planes and I hate to tear that apart so I slipped the 24oz in there, which I think will work, dont need to fill it all the way up, Ill have to wait till tomorrow or the weekend to see what it does with the new tabs on it
Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
wave waker

vertical3d,

what prop and what's the boat lenght?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Vertical3-D

Im running an x450/3-blade octura....and the boat is about 38inches w/o the hardware being counted, currently running 40mph on 20% fuel, and Im using a futaba 3PM 2.4GHz fasst radio system...I had to raise the strut as high as I could to get it to come on the pipe, but now that its dialed in, it really gets up and goes, like its floating on the prop while its tearing down the pond...and very stable in the straights, hops a little in the turns so you gotta let off a bit, but its a blast to drive...
Old 10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Vertical3-D

Default RE: ...Youngblood 45...UPDATE!!!...

OK, finally this boat is really dialed in perfect, it made many consistant 49mph runs today and I have no doubt it got 50 a few times...this thing is a rocket ship and thats only 20% fuel...it tracks very straight hands off and requires minimal input on WOT straightline runs...turns are also pretty good, I can keep it at the throttle where its just barley on the pipe or just short of being on the pipe without any troubles...no hook, or hop or any other bad habbit...and if it gets outta line I just let off for a second and it straightens itself right out...rides right on the prop as it should just slightly nose high...I can see daylight under the entire hull most of the times I'm WOT....and it looks great on the water...