Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

soldering the flex cable to ferrule

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

soldering the flex cable to ferrule

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 AM
grant118
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering the flex cable to ferrule

Nubee question about soldering the flex cable to the brass ferrule. What solder do you use? I have "Stay-Brite" silver solder kit that I have used before. However, the instruction that came with the Octura flex ferrule said to use "low low temp silver solder with a borax base flux" not an acid base flux... the stay -brite flux contains hydrocloric acid...help please
Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: soldering the flex cable to ferrule

I use 50/50 silver / led with no flux core and nokorode flux, the acid based flux will corrode the brass and steel joint over time, you could also use the powdered brazing flux, I think they still sell it at most hardware stores if not a welding supply shop will have all the goodies you need.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
misshydro

Not if you clean it up after you solder it. I cleaned the cable with laqure thinner and then sand that area with 80-100 grit paper then reclean it with thinner.Then I'd heated the ferrule up to melt the lead inside of it.and heated the end of that flex cable alittle then stuck the cable into the ferrule,wial the sold in the ferrule is still melted.It worked for me and still holding.These other ways to.But I'd used acid core solder on my cable
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some have been using JBWeld epoxy, prepping the cable as the solder method, and then taking a dremel tool to put in heavy nicks inside of the ferrule.

I don't know how well this holds up myself, but I am told it is better than using solder as you have a better chance of making it attach more true and without heat.

Does anyone here use this method?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
hydroracer11g

It is very simple to solder these cables. Get your self a small plumping solder kit that is used for sweating cooper pipe. Clean both parts with lacquer thinner, snip off a 3/16" long piece of solder, drop it inside of the coupler, dip the frexshaft in the flux, put the two together. Then hold the coupler near the threads with a pliers and heat it with a propane tourch while pushing the to together, Quench it when after the solder melts and your done.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:44 PM
dicko

i've used loctite retaining compound to connect my shaft & flex cable together on my 14" rigger, it worked well. you have to make sure you scuff the inside of the prop shaft & the flex cable, then clean them really well. so far it's held up, and it's taken some abuse.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
BB Modss

I like Green lock tight that HPI makes, its thick and gooey, and dries rock hard with only a tad bit of give.