Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Running in salt water. Good or bad?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Running in salt water. Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in salt water. Good or bad?

So we're moving back to San Diego and unfortunatly there is a lack of lakes there un like here in North Texas. Any one have any experience with running nitro boats in salt water? Should I stay away from doing so? I know salt watter is'nt the best for aluminum and I'm affraid of ruining the OS.18 with salt watter due to electrilisis, since the cooling head is steel and the head button is alluminum. Is there a specific way to flush it after use?

I dont want to sell the Black Jack since I have worked so hard on making it bullet proof but I would hate to have it sitting to only use it once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Rafael
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
slivic003

Default RE: Running in salt water. Good or bad?

Hey running any boat in salt water will not hurt it . It will however require a lot more care after use . I run my gas boats in salt water and my nitros sometimes . The best thing to do is replace all screws and harware with stainless steel . Also get a can of crc 6-56 spray . It is like wd-40 but it is used mostley for marine use . You can spray your engine and all metal parts down after use and it will prevent corrosion . Also flush your cooling system , you can make an adapter that will hook to your garden hose and hook to the water pickup on your boat . It will cost around 10.00 or less . You can get the parts to make one at any hardware store . Even in fresh water you should still flush your engine also ! As far as electronics make sure they are sealed up water tight . Salt water will ruin electrical stuff very quick . Also run lots of after run oil through your engine this will help with any water that may get in there . Other than extra care , , your boat will be fine in salt water !!!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, no worries about running in salt water....just more maintenance.

Come on down to the Model Boat pond when you get settled back in SD. A bunch of us usually run on friday afternoons and sundays.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
losifiend

Awwww, thanks guys! I didnt want to sell this baby. And since I'll be boating in the San Diego Bay it will be fun to have the little guy trailing behind me.

We are also going to be living just a few minutes from the south bay and there is a park with access to the bay as well where the water is usually very smooth.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Dumashotshot

Where can I find instructions on this adapter? How can I make it?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
suprapilot

I run in salt water sometimes...I have an sv27 nitro and i usually just put the nozzle of the hose against the hole where the coolant water comes out of the side of the boat..then just start spraying lightly directly into the hole and you will see a steady stream of fresh water coming out of the intake on the back of the boat....i have been doing this for a year with no problems..and i have no rust...

also a good run in fresh water after salt water is good..the fresh water will get everywhere the salt water was (if you missed any in the little cracks and stuff) and wash it all out....cause there is always water that gets to places you cant clean...so the fresh water will go there and clean out the salt water...they also make stuff thats eats salt away or something..i just use crc or something like it and i think it works just as good..