Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

my project:

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 PM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my project:

hey, i picked up this old hull on ebay for $75 with all the hardware minus motor, i was told it was a aeromarine scorpion, if it is it must be pretty old, it had sat a long time before i got it. i started by spraying the color changing flames over the stock black gel coat, i then wet sanded the whole thing and sprayed several coats of clear. the hatch is a modified Barnstormer boats drag boat hatch, that i put together using carbonfiber, reson, and bondo, its been cut to fit this boat. the boat is a 33" inch but im planning on putting an older kb 7.5 with exhaust throttle in it, i will use the stock .21 mount but i will make bushings to space the 7.5 so it will fit. i hand pollished all the hardware, as well as the carb, flywheel, exhaust, and all brass fittings. i painted the motor with heat resistant flat black, and then wiped off the pollished fins, im planing on welding up a custom, diamond plate radio box for it, still have alot of work to do, but i thought id post it to see what everyone thought. if anyone else has this hull, i would like some pics. or if anyone just had some more info on it id apreciate it. any ideas on how to set it up and get it going, or anything u see that i should change, let me know. also are there any pros and cons to puting a 7.5 in a 3.5 hull? thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
nitro_racer_1

Default RE: my project:

pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91076.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	788489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62679.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	788490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81048.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	788491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70874.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	788492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20207.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	788493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri68631.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	788494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61169.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	788495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb95297.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	788496  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay45324.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	788497  
Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 AM
gooycheese

Looks like it will be a nice boat. Not sure about the diamond plate radio box, wont that interfere with the radio ( I know if I try and use metal tools on my boat while the radio is on it glitches, would be sucky to put boat in water and have it glitchy from a radio box).

Paul
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Looks like it will be a nice boat. Not sure about the diamond plate radio box, wont that interfere with the radio ( I know if I try and use metal tools on my boat while the radio is on it glitches, would be sucky to put boat in water and have it glitchy from a radio box).

Paul
I agree with gooey,with the speeds this beasty will attain,glitching,or the concern of glitching,will be stressful....[:-],I would also pull that in-line water filter,should that clog up on you havin fun,could be......... disastrous [:@] overall,nice boat that should prove air/seaworthy....
Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM
nitro_racer_1

thanks, yeah im not sure about the box yet, ive seen it done before, i dont think aluminum will cause glitching, but im not sure. yeah the fuel tubing is gust for mock up right now, hench the filter lol
Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Dan S

A polish Diamond plate radio box would look great, but thi will add a fair amount of unnecessary weight.

Dan
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
nitro_racer_1

yeah but i think the 7.5 will make up for it, il make the box low profile with a tinted plexie top
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

my 7.5 mono had a huge interfierence issue without having a metal radio box, and I ended up having to fork over 200 for a 2.4ghz radio...now I am glad I did, but seriously you are asking for trouble, its just a bad Idea...just make it out of light ply and coat it with resin then use the tinted plexi for a top...plus the wood box makes mounting things easy...besides you have a cowl, not to mention going 50mph I dont even see mine when Im running it...if you want a show piece build something scale...and an old K&B with exhaust throttle while k&B is a good engine and reliable its not going to be a monster...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
terry kelly

yuo can go to most auto parts stores and they have metal diamond plate looking tape that sticks awesome and will give you the look you are looking for with the saftey of no glitching or added weight. just my nickel for your time.. later

terminator
Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Get an Aeromarine radio box for it, they only cost around $21.95 with the blue tinted lid. Get one with the angled lid to help the tuned pipe clear it.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 AM
nitro_racer_1

thanks for the advice. yeah i know the k&b is not the best choice, but i got it at my lhs for $40 so for the money i cant beat it. and im not shooting for ridiculus speed if its about 50 thats great, cuz the place that we run here is a man-made cove off the river, with a big island in the middle, so its not a great place to top your boat out anyway. its funny that you mentioned the scale boat, ive wanted to do that for a while, they used to race sprint boats here, (actually around the same cove that we run rc now) and i always wanted an aluminum scale rc sprit. il prolly start that project this winter. i work for a local jet/sprint boat builder so i can get all the aluminum i need for it.

ORIGINAL: Vertical3-D

my 7.5 mono had a huge interfierence issue without having a metal radio box, and I ended up having to fork over 200 for a 2.4ghz radio...now I am glad I did, but seriously you are asking for trouble, its just a bad Idea...just make it out of light ply and coat it with resin then use the tinted plexi for a top...plus the wood box makes mounting things easy...besides you have a cowl, not to mention going 50mph I dont even see mine when Im running it...if you want a show piece build something scale...and an old K&B with exhaust throttle while k&B is a good engine and reliable its not going to be a monster...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 AM
nitro_racer_1

good idea terry, thanks. that would be cool.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:16 AM
nitro_racer_1

i think thats what il do. thanks!

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Get an Aeromarine radio box for it, they only cost around $21.95 with the blue tinted lid. Get one with the angled lid to help the tuned pipe clear it.