Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Which side to put rudder on???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Which side to put rudder on???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:13 PM
hydroracer11g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which side to put rudder on???

Hey guy's and gal's(MissHydro) I am building a new .12 Outrigger and can not decide which side to put the rudder on. I have seen them on both sides. Is there an advantage to having it on on side or the other?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which side to put rudder on???

I asked once...why some boats had the rudders on the left side. It seemed odd to me, because it seems, in theory, that the rudder would be disrupting the water around the prop. I was told it was put on the left side so that the control rod would be pulling, instead of pushing, when it is steering in a right turn (since we turn right in races). That way the control rod does not flex.

That being said, the 2 riggers I have built, I put it on the right side... Why?? Because I did it that way on the first one I built...

I have done zero testing to see speed differences, etc, with the placement of the rudder. So don't really know a good solid answer for you...but am curious to see what others say.

Sean