Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Possable to Water cool a Air cooled ENGINE

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Possable to Water cool a Air cooled ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Jonjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possable to Water cool a Air cooled ENGINE

Hi all
I admit im a electric guy mainley but i have a nice large boat hull gaging for masive sound and wake so i started 2 think i have a couple of spear 'aero' engines one irvine 46 n a 48 engine is it possable to put a water cooled head on them or a water cooling jacket it would save me buying a new engine also what size hull can a 46/48 engine propell
Help will be much appreciated
Thanks again
Jonjoe
Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
NWDave-RCU

Default RE: Possable to Water cool a Air cooled ENGINE

I thought I saw some Irvine marine engines on eBay a whilke back. You'll be wanting to build a sport type boat that runs on low content nitro I assume, since neither of those engines make near the power of a marine specific .45 or .46.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM
NWDave-RCU

Here's a link to some Irvine .46 parts, which lists the head and flywheel. If it were me, I'd sell them 2 extra engines you have, and buy a marine specific engine, you'd be money ahead.

http://www.ripmax.com/5index.asp?category=X0780
Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Jonjoe

Money is not an issue just wondered if it could be done! i think ur right
Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
NWDave-RCU

My first RC boat, back in the late '70's, was a Dumas Deep Vee 40, with an HB (West Germany) ringed piston .40 marine engine with a water cooling jacket, and a really heavy stainless steel flywheel. It was a fun setup, and made pretty good power with a tuned pipe and some 40% fuel, the boat did about 35 MPH with this setup. My Dad and I ended up fragging the engine though, when we threw some 60% fuel in the tank, and leaned it out.

What kind of boat are you planning on running?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Jonjoe

Hi all
I admit im a electric guy mainley but i have a nice large boat hull gaging for masive sound and wake so i started 2 think i have a couple of spear 'aero' engines one irvine 46 n a 48 engine is it possable to put a water cooled head on them or a water cooling jacket it would save me buying a new engine also what size hull can a 46/48 engine propell
Help will be much appreciated
Thanks again
Jonjoe

Hi Jonjoe,

if you are really keen to use either of those motors I can point you in the direction of someone who might make a water cooled head for you in the UK. Or you can carefully wrap some copper pipe round the cylinder and hold it in place with a hose clip. Did it years ago with success.

The guys are correct in as much as the Irvine will not set any speed records for you, but if it is a fun knock aorund you are after they might be fine.

Drop me a PM if you want to be pointed to someone for the head conversion.

Glenn

Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Jonjoe

Hi there
Thanks there m8 ill drop u a PM when i get home, what about a car engine with like a 600motor cooling coil around the head (As i have a .21 engine that fits niceley into one of my spear small racing hulls but i dont know how 2 link it 2 my prop shaft as it has a clutch bell onit ) ill try to my aero engines and see how it goes n then mabie 2 my car engine
Many thanks
Jonjoe
Old 12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Dumas had cooling jackets but just checked, they only have them for the .049 cox engine.

Octura USED to have a full line of "Kool-Klamps" but no more.

Webra used a steel sleeve or tube that was pressed down over the top fins of the cylinder. Might be an easy way to go about it if your up to it and can luck out on finding the right diameter. I would try sink plumbing pipes. Chrome over brass, and thin-walled. Just be sure to add water channels or notches in the fins that will be covered, and seal the top and bottom with some silicone and add a couple nipples.

People have wrapped aluminum tubing around the cylinder also, but not sure how effective that is because the contact area isnt that great...if its not making good contact it will act more of a heat blanket than a cooling coil....

I don't know the Irvine line-up, but if they have a heli version of your motor, the head off one of those can do the job if the engine will be getting any kind of airflow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15106.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	819167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85820.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	819168  
Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM
NWDave-RCU

Irvine makes a marine specific .46, with a water cooled head. So the easiest sollution would be to score the marine head, and a flywheel, and install it on his airplane engine.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats cool. They usually lengthen the crankshaft though too from what I've noticed to fit the flywheel, but Octura makes split collars and short flywheels that might work with the existing land area where the prop hub is.