Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

HYDROPLANE BUILD CHALLENGE V2.0

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

HYDROPLANE BUILD CHALLENGE V2.0

Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default HYDROPLANE BUILD CHALLENGE V2.0

Okay builders, as of now, we are looking at Dumas for what they may have available in Sport 20 and Sport 40 kits, Whiplash kits or plans from Blazer Marine and scaling down plans from 1/8th scale to Sport 40 sized boats. If plans are used, I think that rather than trying to write a long set of rules, the boats must conform with Section 20 of the NAMBA rule book, which is available through the NAMBA WEBSITE. Ideas, comments and helpful suggestions are more than welcome so................................................ ............................
As for suggestions, Piper Chuck has suggested each builder doing their own build thread. I agree with this idea, but will take it one step further. If everyone will start their own build thread, I will put the link to that thread after the contestant's name below to make it easier to keep track. I would request, however, that those doing more than one boat stay with one thread for simplicity

I have included the latest set of rules for easy referance. As of midnight, the clock is ticking and you have 4 months to finish if you plan on having your build(s) judged. Good luck to all and Happy Building.

1) All boats will be of Sport 40 size or smaller, constructed of wood and designed for nitro power
2) All conventional hydroplanes will be from Blazer Marine or Dumas kits, or from plans scaled to Sport 40 size or smaller
3) Riggers, deep vees and tunnels can be either Dumas kits or scratch/plan built. Only the cowlings and sponson booms may be of material other than wood or wood over foam
4) Engines, R/C gear and hardware is up to builder's discression but must be installed to meet IMPBA/NAMBA/APBA requirements
5) Internal modifications on hydroplane kit/plan are legal as long as the finished boat retains the basic look of a stock build
6) If the chosen hydroplane kit/plan has tails and wing, these must be installed. Modifications such as forward swept tails and a cathedral wing are legal since two full sized boats raced in this configuration. Tails and a wing can be added to a boat not having them in the kit/plan
7) If the kit/plan is of an actual full sized boat, the full sized paint scheme DOES NOT have to be used
8) Aftermarket fiberglass parts ARE NOT ALLOWED on hydroplane builds unless they are available from Dumas, Blazer Marine or are boat specific if built from plans
9) Judging will be by forum members in a pole style format with each person getting one vote with the top boat from each hull type going into a separate pole for best overall boat and build
10) Official start date will be January 1, 2008 with a finish deadline of April 30, 2008. At least one picture of the finished boat must be submitted by the deadline date to be eligable for judging. A picture of the boat on the water and running is not required as top speed and handling of the boat ARE NOT BEING JUDGED. Only the build and final appearance will be judged, so photo documentation is very important.
11) While not required, if something is modified from factory/plan stock, please explain why and how(if possible) the change was made

Here is also the link to the first thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6674367/tm.htm

Confirmed Entrants to date are listed below along with links to their build threads:
Hydroplane:
Hydro Junkie http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6852755
Sean Bowf
Nickos
Rigger:
Gooycheese www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6840804/tm.htm
Sleepy306?
Tom Moorehouse
Dan S www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6850349/tm.htm
Tunnel:
Jerry Dunlap
Racer504 www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6843060/tm.htm
Piper Chuck www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6840766/tm.htm
OB Nut(lots of tunnels) www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6856456/tm.htm
Hydroracer11G www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6866902/tm.htm
Multiple Classes:
Taylor Shaw(rigger, hydroplane) www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6843443/tm.htm
Terry Kelly(hydroplane, rigger)

Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HYDROPLANE BUILD CHALLENGE V2.0

This Sounds cool there HJ.( eyekandyboats.inc off IW chat)
I might do it was well ( less power side of things) and use one of my designs
Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Jerry Dunlap

WOF tunnel boats use wood over foam. The "wood only" statement would seem to eliminate the use of foam. I only bring this up because I'd probably build a boat and participate.

JD
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

That's the kind of input I'm looking for Jerry, since I hadn't thought about a WOF
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Jerry Dunlap

WOF tunnel boats use wood over foam. The "wood only" statement would seem to eliminate the use of foam. I only bring this up because I'd probably build a boat and participate.

JD
Jerry, Mark and I have already convinced him to allow plan built tunnels, of which your WOFs are the most obvious choice. That'll be what I'm building as soon as I find a place to print the plans.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

That's the kind of input I'm looking for Jerry, since I hadn't thought about a WOF
The foam is for flotation.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Other than the Villian, I haven't built a frame tunnel boat in probably a dozen years or more.

JD
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Sean Bowf

I wonder if someone talked to the guy from whiplash...if he would be into giving us some sort of a group discount...in favor of the advertising he would get from all of us building his kit. Plus, we might wind up with a more competetive boat in the end (though the dumas boats might look a little better...IE more scale looking).

Sean
Old 12-06-2007, 06:25 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

I wonder if someone talked to the guy from whiplash...if he would be into giving us some sort of a group discount...in favor of the advertising he would get from all of us building his kit. Plus, we might wind up with a more competetive boat in the end (though the dumas boats might look a little better...IE more scale looking).
I sent an email to Brian this morning telling him about this challenge and asking about availability of the 20 and 40 sized Whiplash kits.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 AM
gooycheese

I Also have a PM into Brian asking about the 40 whip, I did try calling the # on his website with no success.

Paul
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
gooycheese

I am still waiting on word from Blazer Marine. Would anyone know anything about the Dave Frank Sport 40's?

Paul
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

I am still waiting on word from Blazer Marine. Would anyone know anything about the Dave Frank Sport 40's?
Here's one tidbit: http://www.geocities.com/dfrp2000/sport40old.html , which I got from here: http://www.geocities.com/dfrp2000/

I found a usenet post from Dave in 2003 saying the plans were available for $20 from his web site, but I don't see any ordering information at the site above.

I have the plans for the Oberto that shows up on his site. At 28 1/4", it's long enough for IMPBA and IMPBA sport 20. Since the boat was originally designed for electric, less vibration, the plans and build article call for balsa in many places, but it would be pretty easy to change those to plywood. For those wishing to get started in building from plans, but who don't have the budget for a 1/8 scale, this boat combined with an Aqu .18 and the appropriate hardware, even that from the Vegas, might be a possibility?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
misshydro

To bad he doesnt have the plans for that sport 40?? It look to have the same mod sponson runners as Grims sport20?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

That would work for me Chuck. I wish we had access to the Sport 40 hull as it looks like a good one to work with as well. I have updated the rules in the first post with changes highlited in bold letters so there is no confusion
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
piper_chuck

From what I found, he didn't produce a hull or kit, just plans. One copy of the plans has been offered up over on IW. In looking around the web, I also found that OB_Nut built the sport 40, so perhaps he still has a copy? One of the comments I read somewhere is that the bottom of the boat is just about the same as the Phil Thomas sport 40, so one would think it would run well enough to be worth building. This doesn't fix the problem of kit availability, but at least it adds to the growing list of options...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

The Dave Frank I have was purchased pre-built. Sorry, no plans for that boat. It's really fuel soaked and not a good restore project. The Whiplash Sport 40 plans are in my collection.. I haven't spoken with Brian Blazer (club prez) in some time. Don't know how he would feel if I made this available to the public for this event. FYI: have only one set hardcopy, haven't had time to put the two plan sheets on soft version.

As for the current guide lines. Speaking for myself, I can't wait for 01/01/08 start date. Most of these boats I'm building have to be completely rigged / ready to run by the 2008 World Tunnel Champs end of March. It may be possible that the 29"'s and 34"s will take until Jan, allowing the 47" to be put into the challenge. I recently started on eight 29" WOF's..

??? -- WOF cowls.. Per the plans, the 29" and 34" use Dumas cowls. The 47" cowl is built in. I have made a mold to make my own cowls for both the 29" and 34" boats. Not certain what I'll use on the 47", but know the built in won't be used. Options: 1) use the Woodstuff cowl being made by Phil Thomas 2) make my own 3) top secrect... Guess I'm stuck on this requirement.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Brian Blazer

Hello, sounds like a fun winter project.
I can have as many Whiplash20 and Whiplash40 kits you want in about three weeks. Both are very competitive in IMPBA and NAMBA, and each hold several records. Please give me a call at 513-598-1769, or email at [email protected] to let me know if you are interested in a kit. The 20 costs $85 and the 40 costs $105. Both kits are cut from a laser using high grade birch. If I can be of help, please let me know.

thanks,
Brian Blazer
Old 12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

I received an email from Brian letting me know he will have the stock cowlings in three weeks as well, though they are a separate purchase from the Whiplash kit, whether ordered with or separately from the kit.

Any complaints, comments or ideas on the rules or anything else, speak up now or I'll again assume everyone participating is happy with the way things are shaping up and we will go with the rules as listed now.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 AM
gooycheese

I am Happy, I am going to build a FireFighter .21 Kit (I hope there will be another rigger built for this challenge).

Paul

Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Dan S

Maybe,

[>:]

Dan
Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
CadillacDTS2001

awe come one there are plenty of nitro guys . why is no one joining in ?
afraid of some healthy competition?

Well i got some pictures of my namba legal boat
disregard the MM i threw that on to cut for another boat. ( save a tree lol)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Dan S

heck no, not afraid of anything (except Gooy)

if I can find everything I need I will join in.

Dan.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 PM
NWDave-RCU

Hey Taylor Shaw, what will that hydro look like when complete, and what are the dimensions?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
CadillacDTS2001

27 by like 10
Old 12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

and now if Taylor would be so nice as to make it available to the rest of us......................................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.