Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Blackjack 26 nitro hi-po parts

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Blackjack 26 nitro hi-po parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
pcg33k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackjack 26 nitro hi-po parts

I have a blackjack 26 nitro that is stock and I'm looking for some performance parts for it but can't seem to find any places online that sell performance parts for it. The only place I keep coming a cross is twisted liquid racing and I'm a little nervous to order anything from them because of all the negative comments left on forums. Can anybody tell me of another site that may sell similar parts for my boat. I really like my boat but like everything I want to make it go faster, fast is never fast enough. Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Sean Bowf

Default RE: Blackjack 26 nitro hi-po parts

Not sure what you are looking for, but aeromarine sells a replacement strut/rudder package to replace the outdrive that is on the stock BJ26

It is not cheap though. Go to http://www.aeromarinerc.com/ , click on "running gear" and scroll down until you see it.

Engines...I think any of the .18 engines that are common upgrades to the other RTRs would fit into it. I take it the BJ26 still comes with a .15?? The stock AQ .18 would probably be an upgrade in performance.

Tuned pipe would be something else to look at. I have never owned a BJ26 so don't know for sure what will fit, but the MACS 3.5 high nitro pipe and the cooper RTR pipe are the two pipes folks commonly use on other RTRs. The MACS pipe can probably be ordered from your local hobby shop (if you have one). The cooper pipe you can get from www.cooperpipes.com

Sean
Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
pcg33k

Thanks, I've seen the aeromarine site and have thought about that rudder system. Yes, the bj26's come with .15 motors. I see alot of people going to the .18 size motors which I'm considering. Do you know anything about ram air? I've seen on posts for thundercat 31 that alot of people seem to add an air scope to the canopy have you seen any type of ram air kits? Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if it's a ram air system but the boat will run better with cool air instead of the hot air under the hatch.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 PM
losifiend

I can tell you first hand that it's not wotrh dumping money in to this boat other than slapping in an OS.18 and using a ProBoat carbon prop. I tried quite a few avenues and found this to be the best combination. If it aint broke dont fix it. I have had no issues with the u-joint waht so ever. I cant see how some people complain about it breaking. I have ran over 2 gallons through mine with no issues.

As far as air, I just enlarged the vents over the cock pit. Found no performance gain but it makes me eel better.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
pcg33k

I wanted to squeeze as much power as I can before going to a bigger motor. The exhaust will be changed and the rudder system will stay in place for a bit longer until something breaks. The prop I'll probably change out in the near future. Its a cool little boat, it runs fast compared to my 2 previous boats, Traxxas Blast and NQD Hydro. I also like the way the bj26 looks, red and black are my favorite colors. Anybody know whats the fastest one of these bj26 has gone?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 AM
losifiend

People have had better lucl making them go fast by converting them to BL. I havent seen any top speed GPS threads that I can remember. I know mine is way faster than stock with the .18 but I dont think I want to risk putting a GPS on it[:@].

The best free upgrade I can reccomend it to take off the turn fins and, if you know how to do it, cut groves in the sleve to alow the engine to use the fuel at optimum level. I noticed better response and a bit higher top end when I did mine.

So after a couple hunder dollar$$ in wasted "reasearch" on the running gear I ended up with the stock gear. Here are some pictures of my Plane Jane BJ26.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
ERV JR

what is the deal with taking off the turn fins ?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM
pcg33k

Yeah I heard by taking the turn fins off that the boat doesn't handle very well. I've heard alot of mixed reviews on doing this mod. I've a header and pipe from tlr but before putting them in I want to get a base line to find out what my boat did stock and what it will do modified. I'll post pics and stats once thats done.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 AM
pissedoffpete

I would like to know if I upgrade to os.18 engine, can I still use existing starter system? Will I need a new tuned pipe? Will stock drive shaft work? What prop would give best results at about 2/3 throttle? I just want boat to run fast without taxing the engine 30mph plus would make me more than happy Having too much trouble getting .15 to run fast. Appreciate all help, this my first nitro anything.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 AM
pcg33k

Just from my experience Pete and I'm a newbie to nitro's to. It seems it doesn't take a whole lot to make these boats move. I gps'd mine with a stock motor, stock prop and a mac header and tuned pipe at 24.7 mph. Not bad considering the only thing done to it was the exhaust. I now have an octura y535 prop for it but it seems last outing I blew the engine. I'm going to order a Go engine .18 soon and as soon as I do I'll post some pics and get it gps'd. Of course I'll have to wait the break in period but as often as I run my boat that won't take long. I'm hoping with the new motor I'll get closer to 30 mph.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: pissedoffpete

I would like to know if I upgrade to os.18 engine, can I still use existing starter system? Will I need a new tuned pipe? Will stock drive shaft work? What prop would give best results at about 2/3 throttle? I just want boat to run fast without taxing the engine 30mph plus would make me more than happy Having too much trouble getting .15 to run fast. Appreciate all help, this my first nitro anything.
The tiger drive will not work. The hex on the shaft that goes into the one way bearing is bigger. But the pull start works great. I usually get mine started in one pull after priming it. You dont need a tuned pipe but it might help. I'm running the stock one and it seems fine. I'm using a Grim 45x55, [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUD7[/link], prop and it hauls *****! The OS has no trouble spinning it. You might have to adjust the height of the drive though since its a little bigger than the stock one.

From my experience, the BJ26 will handle better with out turn fins because the fins make it too "stiff". I't's less prone to flipping with out them. The sides of the boat are pretty square and it digs in pretty good on the turns. I dont see why they even put the fins on. I have noticed the it "drifts" now when it turns with out the fins and I have yet to flip it, un intentionally[:@], with out them.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
taz357

Hello Ya'll
I have a Blackjack 26 That I have been running for about 3 months now , and It will really haul the mail.
I was running it this past weekend with some friends who were running The Topspeed 2s. I was able to keep up with them with my boat.
The only changes that I have made to it was replace the stock outdrive with the one from TLR,and WOW what a big improvement that it made.I am also running the Y535 Prop From Octura
and it really made the boat handle GREAT.This weekend I tried the M435 and raised the strut up 1/16 and it was KATTIE BAR THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!
The boat would not stay on the water i was alot faster with that set-up.
Just wanted to throw My 2 Cents worth in . Maybe it will help someone.[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
pcg33k

Did you have the strut raised with the octura prop on? Were you able to gps it to see what she's running at?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
taz357

Yes the strut was raised with both the Y535 and the M435.Did not gps the boat but the stock topspeed 2 was not walking away from me
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
pcg33k

Topspeed? What kind of boat is that? Is that a gas or nitro?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Dan S

The Top speed 2 is a Tunnel hull with a .21 Nitro engine.

Dan.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
pissedoffpete

Thanks everyone, being my first outing with nitro anything, I appreciate all the help. What is the leanest setting the BJ 26 will run at? Two turns out to start gets me running but dies when throttle is opened all the way. I know trial and error is involved but dang, I could use some help. I tried leaning the needle but would like to know what is extreme setting, ie how many turns in is too much I broke it in slow on 4 tanks running rich. On my second outing, the exhaust came off flange at engine. Flared end on pipe from engine separated. Luckily someone I knew had a flanging tool and am ready to go again. I removed the one shim from engine. Cant see that would make much a difference because its so thin but every bit helps right? Also took off turn fins. My friend wants me to run it alongside his full size boat but havent got it running reliable yet. Appreciate all help. One more question? whats is the biggest engine that will easily fit this boat? I dont plan on racing, just want a screamer. I thought about OS 21. What about Dynamite 32?! Is this being stupid? First nitro anything. Will definitely stay with electric on my helis.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 AM
pissedoffpete

My engine will scream out of water but bogs in the water I hook up a water bottle to engine to keep it cool and think I have it running good but in the water is another story. The time it was running the best, just under 2 turns, I brought it in to lean about 1/8 and then it went south but it might be because exhaust separated about that time. What a mess that made. My first clue was a rattling sound and then the appearance of a small nut in the end of tuned pipe. It was on the inside of the air fitting for fuel tank. Luckily it was slightly bigger than end of pipe. I thought it was from the engine! Just kidding but what about a .21 engine? if .18 is good, isnt .21 better? If the Thundercat.31 looked more scale, I would have bought that. I am happy with the way the BJ looks. Would like aboat that flies without having to make the engine scream full throttle. Will run this motor til I reach its potential or failure. Thanks again to everyone who responds. Am thinking I will probably just take the route lisofiend has taken but would like opinions on a bigger motor such as OS 21. Oh and it was a flaring tool I used to fix broken exhaust.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

POP, I'm in Michigan and you're not. What needle settings work here might not play in Peoria. If you try to run it too lean you might as well kiss that engine good-bye now as it isn't going to last long.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: pissedoffpete

My engine will scream out of water but bogs in the water I hook up a water bottle to engine to keep it cool and think I have it running good but in the water is another story. The time it was running the best, just under 2 turns, I brought it in to lean about 1/8 and then it went south but it might be because exhaust separated about that time. What a mess that made. My first clue was a rattling sound and then the appearance of a small nut in the end of tuned pipe. It was on the inside of the air fitting for fuel tank. Luckily it was slightly bigger than end of pipe. I thought it was from the engine! Just kidding but what about a .21 engine? if .18 is good, isnt .21 better? If the Thundercat.31 looked more scale, I would have bought that. I am happy with the way the BJ looks. Would like aboat that flies without having to make the engine scream full throttle. Will run this motor til I reach its potential or failure. Thanks again to everyone who responds. Am thinking I will probably just take the route lisofiend has taken but would like opinions on a bigger motor such as OS 21. Oh and it was a flaring tool I used to fix broken exhaust.
POP,

your going the wrong way with your needle, instead of going in with your needle go out.
Just remember, if the engine screams out of the water and bugs down or die in the water (putting a load on the prop) its too lean.

Bring your needle back to where it was when it was running without dying. I noticed in your other post that at 2 turns out it dies when going full throttle, this means you are still too lean.

to find the sweet spot for that day (because it won't be the same everyday) start a little ritcher so you can have the boat running when WOT than start leaning 1/16 to 1/8 at a time.
When your engine starts cutting out at WOT (engine runs great, slows down, runs great again) its telling you that it is too lean, go back out on the needle.
if the boat runs great, is fast and screams but you burn a plug everytime you turn it off, that would be race setting and border line lean. So, just bring the needle out 1/16 to 1/8 and it should be good to go.

Dan.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 AM
pissedoffpete

Dan, thanks for your help. The engine manual said to lean engine to increase power but I was going wrong way every time. Finally! What a relief. it finally planes and runs with some authority. The pond was small and I couldnt reach wot for any distance before I had to turn but I see the potential now and am no longer thinking I need a bigger motor. I took off turn fins and almost rolled boat over in a sharp turn. The boat kind of skips side to side when hitting waves at speed. I was afraid to really open it up. The turn fins are going back on before I go WOT on a long sraightaway. So simple. Thanks for message boards
Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 AM
gralls4771

I saw a blackjack on ebay with hardware from fullers fast electrics. And I think top secret boats has hardware that would fit the blackjack too
Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
pissedoffpete

Does anyone know a easy replacement for the stock driveshaft with weak u joints? I have an extra stock one, anticipating needing it. The original looks like its about to come apart now. I have emailed horizon hobbies several times about this problem and no reply. Is there an easy replacement? The boat runs good enough for me. I dont want to change outdrive, just the driveshaft. I expect to upgrade to a .18 size eventually and would like to use all stock parts except that weak driveshaft. Will it cause serious damage when it comes apart?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
gralls4771

Its not going to damage anything when it finally breaks. If your running and suddenly your engine revs really high it probably means the ujoint just came apart so let off the throttle right away and you shouldnt hurt the engine. Unfortunantly if you want to stick with the stock outdrive your going to be stuck with the stock drive shaft with the cheap ujoint.